Paying for Tarot Practice

Drugelis

Hi there!

I have a question. I am looking for places to practice face to face readings. I am far from my friends and family (in another country) so there are very few people I would consider being too open about it with here where I live. I don't deny I do it but don't advertise either.

I knew of a place/shop that used to do divination share were people could practice but they stopped it since most people showed up thinking of getting a "free reading." It's so unfortunate.

Now I have found a small community online close to me on meetup. They do a monthly tarot share but it costs 20$ for 2 hours. I am not sure how many people will even show up.
The cost doesn't bother me, I am just not sure if I should question paying to practice. A donation yes but I pay 20$ for an actual class often. I wonder if I should be skeptical.

What do you think? Should I just go for it ? I really want to do face to face for practice. I like online but I want to expand my experiences. Has anyone had an experience where you paid to practice face to face?

Thanks for the help :)

G6

Hi there!

I have a question. I am looking for places to practice face to face readings. I am far from my friends and family (in another country) so there are very few people I would consider being too open about it with here where I live. I don't deny I do it but don't advertise either.

I knew of a place/shop that used to do divination share were people could practice but they stopped it since most people showed up thinking of getting a "free reading." It's so unfortunate.

Now I have found a small community online close to me on meetup. They do a monthly tarot share but it costs 20$ for 2 hours. I am not sure how many people will even show up.
The cost doesn't bother me, I am just not sure if I should question paying to practice. A donation yes but I pay 20$ for an actual class often. I wonder if I should be skeptical.

What do you think? Should I just go for it ? I really want to do face to face for practice. I like online but I want to expand my experiences. Has anyone had an experience where you paid to practice face to face?

Thanks for the help :)

They are likely attaching the cost to deter the folks that would come because they want a free reading, but have nothing to offer in return. In their psychology why would they pay for a reading and then have to give someone else a reading? The $20 helps ensure people are there for the right reason/purpose of the gathering.

The question is will you get on with the people that do show up, what's their skill level etc. Why not just practice on this website?

ETA: I see you want to do face to face. If it's a meetup can you see who has rsvpd? The folks that are hosting the event maybe can provide insight on attendees skill level?

These parameters should be made clear like what types of readings 3 card, CC and skill level etc.

DownUnderNZer

Don't think it unreasonable at all unless you are the only one there.

That $20 may cover the cost of the place as well as chairs/tables and written hand outs if any.

And for those that rrally do want to learn.

I know some Mediums that charge between $100 to ??? per hour just to learn Mediumship.

$20 is very very reasonable if it is a place that proves to be to your benefit and you get from it what you pay. :)

Drugelis

They are likely attaching the cost to deter the folks that would come because they want a free reading, but have nothing to offer in return. In their psychology why would they pay for a reading and then have to give someone else a reading? The $20 helps ensure people are there for the right reason/purpose of the gathering.

The question is will you get on with the people that do show up, what's their skill level etc. Why not just practice on this website?

ETA: I see you want to do face to face. If it's a meetup can you see who has rsvpd? The folks that are hosting the event maybe can provide insight on attendees skill level?

These parameters should be made clear like what types of readings 3 card, CC and skill level etc.

You've made some great points!
Yes, I think the 20$ may be a way to deter people who show up for just free readings.
One thing though, I can be very sensitive and usually I will check a new place out a few times to see the vibe if I decide to open myself up in their space.
This is a new place and new people. When I have gone into a new place before I actually picked up a lot of energy but didn't realize it until the next day when I felt absolutely wretched with no explanation. I realized it and had to ground significantly with hematite and bare feet and also smudging. So while excited at the chance to do face to face, I am hesitant to go somewhere I have never been before.
I think I might just go talk to another lady I know and feel comfortable with and see if she has any ideas in our area. My eagerness may get me into something I don't want.
Besides they do it monthly-so I have time to think about it :)

Thanks so much for your input!

Drugelis

Don't think it unreasonable at all unless you are the only one there.

That $20 may cover the cost of the place as well as chairs/tables and written hand outs if any.

And for those that rrally do want to learn.

I know some Mediums that charge between $100 to ??? per hour just to learn Mediumship.

$20 is very very reasonable if it is a place that proves to be to your benefit and you get from it what you pay. :)

Hi DownUnder

I think you are right- sometimes I can be overly suspicious and I think it's b/c I don't know these people-just found it on meetup. You are totally right about covering expenses and being for those who really want to learn.
I still don't know if I will go yet, not b/c of cost but b/c they are new people. ( Maybe I am an awesome procrastinator-LOL)
Thanks again for your input it makes me realize what my main issue is :)

Grizabella

If you're still having to look in the books for answers, then by all means, I wouldn't offer readings where the person pays money whether it's a door charge or you actually charging money yourself. You need to be able to wing it on your own before money gets involved.

Once you can dispense with the books, then I could see putting out a tip jar. You aren't actually charging because people can pay or not as they feel moved, but you get in the face-to-face readings and in my experience, you usually get paid something for the reading.

I want to add that I'm extremely happy to see someone who actually wants to read face-to-face. I give you a big old pat on the back for that. :thumbsup: The most magic happens face-to-face. I read many ways but the face-to-face readings are my favorite. I wish you the best of luck and I'll be sending good energy your way in my daily meditation sessions. :)

Drugelis

If you're still having to look in the books for answers, then by all means, I wouldn't offer readings where the person pays money whether it's a door charge or you actually charging money yourself. You need to be able to wing it on your own before money gets involved.

Once you can dispense with the books, then I could see putting out a tip jar. You aren't actually charging because people can pay or not as they feel moved, but you get in the face-to-face readings and in my experience, you usually get paid something for the reading.

I want to add that I'm extremely happy to see someone who actually wants to read face-to-face. I give you a big old pat on the back for that. :thumbsup: The most magic happens face-to-face. I read many ways but the face-to-face readings are my favorite. I wish you the best of luck and I'll be sending good energy your way in my daily meditation sessions. :)

Hi Grizabella!
I wasn't going to charge money. I want to find people where I can practice face to face- that's my problem. If I were in my country where I grew up it would be no problem to find real present sitters or guinea pigs LOL. But here most people I know are work connections or parents of my kids friends etc. Just not people I want to open up to.
So that leaves me trying to find a safe place to get live sitters. I am not trying to charge anything-just practice face to face. That's where i found this group on meetup.com ( an online community where you can set up events with like minded people) and THEY charge 20$ to come practice on them and together with them. So that's what I was asking. I am feeling really much more comfortable reading now here in the forums . I seldom use my books and feel ok about reading without them online. I know face to face will be different and I am so excited to get going b/c that's how I really want to read.
I would totally do the tip jar idea though down the line and just get experience but I really don't know where to start. I think I would feel too exposed in a cafe. I am thinking about asking a charity but it seems like a random phone call to make :)
But that's kind of off topic than my original post. Thanks for making me think. I just need to make some move forward- so maybe this tarot practice group will do. What can it hurt?

Thanks for the advice!

nisaba

What do you think? Should I just go for it ? I really want to do face to face for practice.

They may have to pay rental on a hall, in which case it's quite reasonable. If it's held in someone's home, they may offer you tea and coffee, their family might be required to go away (and teenagers take bribing), you might use their bathroom, etc etc, and they might be on a very low income where these things matter. It might even have been something they set up to help them actually afford to stay in the house after the owner raised the rent to something they cannot afford.

Go along. If you love it, keep going. If you hate it, don't go back.

Why not pull a Tarot card?

MissNine

Do you have any friends who can skype with you? I have found it is very similar to in person readings, as the energy connects, but you're still shuffling for them.

Might be worth a try. Good luck! :)

FaintlyMacabre

Maybe I just live where things don't cost so much but if 8 people show up, they would collect $160 just to provide a space. It wouldn't matter if they were going to play bridge or what. It's not a class and it sounds like a lot when you don't even know if people will come.

Good luck whatever you decide.