Paying for Tarot Practice

Grizabella

If the payment is just a one-time thing----like if you're entitled to keep coming back for a year for that one price---that wouldn't be too unreasonable but if you have to pay every time, I'd pass on that.

Skype is an excellent idea. I've been thinking of learning how to do that myself for readings online.

I've seen lots of our members over the years saying that they've just gone to a cafe and sat down with their cards to journal or look through a new deck and people have come up and just volunteered to have a reading. Maybe that would be something you could do.

Dressing up for Halloween is a fun time when it's easy to get people to sit for you. I've done that before. It's more in tune with people's expectations of Halloween fun so you're not likely to offend anyone. I found that easier to get started with face-to-face when I was pretty new to Tarot.

Drugelis

They may have to pay rental on a hall, in which case it's quite reasonable. If it's held in someone's home, they may offer you tea and coffee, their family might be required to go away (and teenagers take bribing), you might use their bathroom, etc etc, and they might be on a very low income where these things matter. It might even have been something they set up to help them actually afford to stay in the house after the owner raised the rent to something they cannot afford.

Go along. If you love it, keep going. If you hate it, don't go back.

Why not pull a Tarot card?

Hi nisaba,
LOL! I did pull a card- more like 6 ;) I am figuring I will go along once and check it out.
But through this thread and my cards I am taking a calmer approach instead of being so excited and chomping at the bit :) and making myself needlessly nervous . So I will take all the advice here and see what comes of it. If I like it great, if not -no harm done.
Now I realize, the need to ground, shield before entering. Sometimes I am so eager i forget. Also this thread has provided me with a few more ideas- and even better the encouragement to really seek out these opportunities!

You are right about the facilities, I won't know the details until I get there. (Teenagers take bribing- yes ,so very very true :) )
Thank you!

Drugelis

Do you have any friends who can skype with you? I have found it is very similar to in person readings, as the energy connects, but you're still shuffling for them.

Might be worth a try. Good luck! :)

That's a great idea Miss Nine! I didn't even think of that. I am so old school or just old :)
Thank you ! I really love this idea.

Drugelis

Maybe I just live where things don't cost so much but if 8 people show up, they would collect $160 just to provide a space. It wouldn't matter if they were going to play bridge or what. It's not a class and it sounds like a lot when you don't even know if people will come.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Yes, Faintly, I too see your point . I will gladly give the $20 one time I think just to check it out but then I will reassess or use some other ideas people have provided in this thread.
I am saving for a major purchase so I really assess each expense since it adds up overtime.
Thanks!

Drugelis

If the payment is just a one-time thing----like if you're entitled to keep coming back for a year for that one price---that wouldn't be too unreasonable but if you have to pay every time, I'd pass on that.

Skype is an excellent idea. I've been thinking of learning how to do that myself for readings online.

I've seen lots of our members over the years saying that they've just gone to a cafe and sat down with their cards to journal or look through a new deck and people have come up and just volunteered to have a reading. Maybe that would be something you could do.

Dressing up for Halloween is a fun time when it's easy to get people to sit for you. I've done that before. It's more in tune with people's expectations of Halloween fun so you're not likely to offend anyone. I found that easier to get started with face-to-face when I was pretty new to Tarot.

Yeah, The payment is each event from what I understand. So like I said to Faintly, I think I will try it once and then reassess. I too love the skype idea- I use it a lot just I never thought of reading over skype -pretty cool.

The cafe idea- I love but it also scares the heck out of me. I think I would feel too exposed-like exposed to flying pitchforks or something :)
Maybe, just maybe it would be ok to try a cafe. Again if it goes well, great, if not -- maybe I just lose an eye :)
Honestly I am also worried about being able to concentrate because I feel too exposed or nervous in a cafe. I also thought about maybe setting up a time in the library, signing out a study room and asking if I could put up a note free readings for practice-or something like that.
I may be open but a little less exposed b/c of doors at least.

Thank you so much- you have all given me some great ideas and encouragement ! I very much appreciate it , thanks again!

Nyx-Knits

If I were in your situation I would try it out. There's a chance you may meet someone around your skill level that would like to meet up with you more often for practice.

FaintlyMacabre

I suppose every place is different. I never wanted to read for people but I could have read for at least one at work if I had wanted to. It was a very small office. I think I did explain that you did not necessarily need to use it for divination.

I have probably gotten more weird reactions online than in real life and I never said anybody should do tarot. It's just something I do like my husband collects coins.

It's complicated why I was on the fringes of some psychic fairs and so forth but there were some people with real issues attracted to whatever they called the one thing. I forget what it was called but it was close to a seance. We are not that far from Lilydale and some of those people used tarot.

Diana

Drugelis

If I were in your situation I would try it out. There's a chance you may meet someone around your skill level that would like to meet up with you more often for practice.

Yes , great point. I am just not into too much theatrics etc and I am always wary of people's intentions. I guess it's good in some ways but in some ways it might be an excuse for me not to put myself out there. I think if I go in level headed and not too excited it should turn out ok, I could make new connections and worst case , I can just chalk it up to experience.

Thanks! Sometimes I get stuck in my own head :)

Drugelis

I suppose every place is different. I never wanted to read for people but I could have read for at least one at work if I had wanted to. It was a very small office. I think I did explain that you did not necessarily need to use it for divination.

I have probably gotten more weird reactions online than in real life and I never said anybody should do tarot. It's just something I do like my husband collects coins.

It's complicated why I was on the fringes of some psychic fairs and so forth but there were some people with real issues attracted to whatever they called the one thing. I forget what it was called but it was close to a seance. We are not that far from Lilydale and some of those people used tarot.

Diana

Yeah, co-workers is not an option, it could really come back to bite me. But now at home,
I would have met people I could do that with, they were more open, it was part of our culture. Here there are so many strong beliefs or at least that's my perception either right or wrong. I may be finding excuses though because there are a lot of open people as well, I just need to find them.

I know it can attract people with real issues and as long as I am in a safe place I am ok with that. I have worked in health care many years and often have dealt with people who had psychiatric illnesses and trauma, addictions etc and who could be violent. I am not seeking those experiences out at all but I do know it exists as a real possibility too. That's why I was initially hesitant to go to a group I found online in a location I wasn't sure about. I have done some more research though and I think it will be ok to try. I am going to give it a shot. I wasn't sure if the fee was a gimmick or not and now I understand it really is more likely to deter people who are not serious and just cover costs. In which case it is reasonable and I will give it a go.

MissNine

That's a great idea Miss Nine! I didn't even think of that. I am so old school or just old :)
Thank you ! I really love this idea.

You're very welcome! No need to pay to read for others, if you can get willing friends/family over skype or FaceTime. :)