Making Llewellyn outer boxes into useful boxes!

Green Faerie

I keep the big boxes - because I like the book to stay with the deck...

I do, too, Gregory - but I've also been pondering the idea of getting some of those decorative book boxes to keep the book and deck in together. They would take up the same amount of space, unfortunately, but they would be much sturdier and hold up much better. Plus, then they look like books. :) You could even pick appropriate book boxes for each deck! :)

Annabelle

This is a super-awesome idea. I'm horrid with measuring things, though, and somehow imagine I would botch it.

Did you start with a template, or did you just measure your deck and go from there?

Melia

Here's how to make those useless big Llewellyn boxes into something the right sized to store cards in.

... just brilliant! Now that's thinking outside of the box, pardon the pun.

Citrin

I wished I knew this before I tossed them all out! LOL!

Luna's Crone

I keep the big boxes - because I like the book to stay with the deck...

i make a two bag set, one for the deck and one for the deck and book. They usually match.

Padma

That's freaking awesome, Earthair! Way to go! :thumbsup:

earthair

This is a super-awesome idea. I'm horrid with measuring things, though, and somehow imagine I would botch it.

Did you start with a template, or did you just measure your deck and go from there?

I start by measuring the cards and adding 2 mm to each length. Then I make a paper trial run version and place that on the opened out large box to find where it fits best so folds will be on existing folds and if I'm lucky artwork can be aligned. :livelong:

Myrrha

Very nice! The boxes look great with larger images and titles wrapped around their surfaces.

IHeartRescues

Clever if you don't mind losing your box. Clearly I am a hoarder :) (It is, "Oh - that is the box of boxes...)

Diana

Do you mean you have a large box or tote that holds the empty Llewellyn boxes Diana? (cuz that's what I have!) It also holds most of the tuck boxes, extra bags and tins. It's reached it's capacity tho.
I really DO NOT want to start loading another bin w/ those flimsy boxes so will need to choose very wisely FNO which suits me fine :)
I just can't bear tossing them! And the mail system ain't too hard on them fortunately. At least in my neck o da woods.
(I like to keep the decks that will fit, in the IRIS acid-free plastic photo cases)

So if I can figure out HOW to follow your instruction Earthair I would like to try this on my Welsh Llewellyn and the Wildwood. Great idea thanks!

rwcarter

Just turned the Green Witch Tarot outer box into a much smaller box for the deck. I eyeballed everything so am quite happy with how it turned out. I went with original fold lines as much as possible, so the box is maybe 3/4" taller than the deck. Pics to come later. Heading out to lunch now.

Rodney