How Often Have Your Overseas Packages Gone Missing?

G6

Hello Folks!

I just mistakenly ordered something off Abe's that was from a UK vendor. I kicked myself when I saw the item for $2 more from a US vendor because I've had two items from the UK I ordered off of Abe's go missing in the past. One of which, the seller wouldn't reimburse me because the P.O. said it was delivered even though I never received the item.

My Q to all of you is…

How many times have you had an overseas package go missing? I'm looking to get a general sense of frequency with this problem.

Thanks for your input!

illyria

Hi, G6.

I'm based in the Philippines, and I source almost all my decks from the US and Europe. I used to have them shipped via Philippine post because I had no choice. And, oh boy, let me tell you—THAT was nightmare upon nightmare of delayed parcels (5 to 8 months), long queues at the claim aisle (because they inspected every nook and cranny of the packaging), and finally, getting slapped with astronomical taxes. I felt like I was moving house brick by brick, blindfolded, and with my right arm in a sling, every time I had to go the post office!

Despite that, I've had a grand total of two missing parcels, both from the US. Another one went wayward for an entire year, and it finally turned up at my doorstep, no notice, no explanation. I actually expected decks from Prague, France, Germany, Italy and the UK to go walkabout for longer, but they turn up in 3 to 4 months. Pretty good time, given that I live all the way down in Southeast Asia.

Nowadays, I just use a US-based forwarder. Very efficient! Its local counterpart has a private courier that delivers anything I purchase the following week, straight into my hands. Everything's accounted for, and taxes are minimal, if any.

JuniperPress

I've had packages go missing from India and China. On their way to Canada. Most other places, although sometimes a long wait eventually get here.

I've had major problems with UPS Canada - shipping within the same province even. Every.Darn.Time. I don't know what is up with them but I avoid them at all costs.

firecatpickles

I guess I've been lucky but I have never had an overseas package get lost in the mail, and I've lived in some pretty sketchy neighborhoods.

The US Postal Service is a different story...

Serenia

I have ordered lots of things from overseas in the past - from North America, Asia, Australia. I tried to recall if I ever had a package go missing in all these years... but I can't think of any. The only package that disappeared permanently was one I sent to Poland in 2002 or so (but that's not overseas, so it doesn't count). And in 2013 a package from Blue Angel went "missing" for a few weeks and they were planning to send me a replacement, but all of a sudden it turned up on my doorstep! Turned out that the customs office had held it up longer than usual (for whatever reason). So, I'd say the overall picture is quite positive! :)

Grizabella

I just ordered the mass market Illuminati from the Book Depository and I think it's the UK based one, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and praying I get it. Their information says packages arrive to the US in 5 to 8 working days, so I hope it gets here this week.

Before that, I've had great success mailing packages to Australia and several European countries that went fine. One I remember took a long time, but usually the delivery was within a week.

The very worst problems I've had is with mailing into Canada. It sometimes took forever and the last time I mailed a deck/book set there, the package finally, finally arrived but had been torn open somewhere on the way and only the book was in it but no deck.

I try not to order anything from outside the US unless it's the only way to get it. I do sometimes order things from Amazon that have to get here from China, but it's worth it because the price is usually so little. I don't especially like all the wait, but for refills for my favorite pen that's made in Japan and sets of crochet hooks and knitting needles and such from China, it's worth the longer wait.

Hemera

I´ve never had packages missing and I must have sent & received hundreds over the years.
The only problem I recall was a tarot deck sent to me from India. I got the envelope and the lovely enclosed card but the deck had been stolen on the way.

Disa

I've had things delivered successfully from the UK, China, Italy, and Australia, I think. The DH gets things off Amazon from China. All of them were delivered successfully, but with some delay. We have noticed that things get to New York from other countries, then they sit for 7-10 days in New York before being dispatched again.

I have ordered a few things from Canada and they got here fine, one thing never did arrive. The seller said it was held up in customs for months and returned to her- I'm not sure that was actually true. I told her to cancel the order, then. I later reordered it, about 2 years later, and it got here.

Alta

I lost one parcel from New Zealand and as it has been over 18 months I am not exactly waiting any more. When I was selling off MeeWah's decks a year ago one parcel that I sent to NZ took easily 6 weeks and I was on the verge of sending a refund when it showed up for them.

Re Canada Customs. They seem particularly to hold up parcels from the USA, things coming from there generally taking a full two weeks. On the other hand parcels from the UK show up in under a week and I got a parcel from Japan in 3 days!

gregory

Exactly once, and I was mailed a replacement which arrived just fine. But I have had things take FOREVER. One from the US once - at the 12 week mark, the seller refunded me (I was very upset as it was a complete Manteia, and they aren't easy to find (and yes I know it's on line, but it wasn't then, and anyway I like proper PAPER to read !)

Two weeks later it FINALLY showed up and I paid him again. And not customs, because books aren't dutiable. Lord knows where it went.

I've never lost anything sent from an abe seller, whatever the country (that said, I am awaiting one from an amazon marketplace seller in the US that seems to be taking its time...) . But if it was misdelivered, you have a case against the PO. I MAY have had one go missing that was mailed from Australia AGES ago - but I have good reason to suppose it was never actually mailed....