Physically Caring for your Deck(s)

FaintlyMacabre

Someone gave me a knitted bag. The cards snag on the stitches. Just saying....

I think it would depend on the yarn used and how tightly it was knit, Gregory. Mary Greer mentioned using cotton which shouldn't snag and probably a firm stitch. I came to my senses before I looked into it very far. Cotton doesn't stretch much either.

It's hard to say if her patterns had been perfected but they had square bottoms and were knit on 4 needles, I believe. I think seed st. might be best since it is firm. I expect if I ever do anything I should stick to fabric.

Diana

Elnor

Basically you put trace amounts of talcum powder on your deck, and it protects the cards from the oils in people's hands (which can damage the cards). How I do it is once every so often, like once a year or every few months or something, take my deck out and spread it on a clean towel. Then I take another towel and put a tiny bit of talcum on it, shake it off, then wipe the cards (gently) with the second towel. It works really well in my opinion, and my cards don't seem to mind it, if not like it.

There is something called fanning powder, used by magicians to keep their cards from sticking- it's made from zinc sterate, and I use it very infrequently on my own cards, (about once every year or so?) It seems to work well.

Here is a link about it

http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/2013/03/how-use-fanning-powder-bicycle-playing-cards.html