How do you get those Ren fair jobs, party events, etc?

Yineth

I don't know if this a burning question for other people, but this is for me! XD

How do you/did you get your Tarot reading job at Ren. fairs, that random Halloween event at the library, etc?

Was it out of pure chance, luck, some unknown place to apply for said positions, or strong networking? Or did you just promote yourself and someone decided to call you about said-position?

Maybe it's the full moon outside, but I'm itching for some unveiling of truths and secrets here :D

PS: I'm also a little tweaked on caffeine, so I apologize if I sound quite 'over-excited newbish'.

tarotbear

You get out there and network! Always have business cards and self-printed flyers with you.

The best and easiest thing to do is go online, but better to walk in and talk to someone directly about reading in their shop, store, etc. That way they meet you face-to-face.

Go to other psychic fairs and ask! You may have to be a member of their guild or organization but it never hurts to ask directly. Scout out community events such as harvest fairs, Community Halloween parties, Mardi Gras in February, or organizations that do their own carnival in the summer - offer to be the Fortune Teller.

Contact the Faire organization and ask! They too, may have a psychic guild that all the readers belong to and you might have to join them to get a spot.

Sometimes you have to get out and send a press release to the paper offering your availability to the public.

Send a letter or email to the HR department of any large company in your area offering your services for their next corporate function, especially a company party.

Think 'early' - you have to offer this before the season, so if you are looking for Halloween bookings you need to start in August!

AJ

At psychic and ren fairs I think you need to apply for a booth, pay your fee, and set up shop. What you make is up to you, less expenses. Other venue's might be school carnivals or seasonal parties. Check bigger motels for coming conventions, see if they have a vendors room, and contact the organizers. booth and decks can easily be tailored to the event. Jobs don't come to us, we go to them.

tarotbear

At psychic and ren fairs I think you need to apply for a booth, pay your fee, and set up shop. What you make is up to you, less expenses. Other venue's might be school carnivals or seasonal parties. Check bigger motels for coming conventions, see if they have a vendors room, and contact the organizers. booth and decks can easily be tailored to the event. Jobs don't come to us, we go to them.

And don't forget ~ Be sure to ask the organizers or check with the Town Clerk to see if you need a PERMIT to do any of this. Sometimes all you have to do is sign a paper (and have it with you). Always have the law on your side!

Chronata

I agree...it's network network network!

Get some flyers that you can leave in places, some business cards to drop off in mailboxes.

A nice photo(not overly "weird" )on the flyers and cards helps when it comes to cold calling!

The ren faire jobs do work differently as AJ mentioned, and it helps to know people in the ren faire scene.
Sometimes, readers who own a booth or a tent, might be willing to split the cost, to partner with you if they are just too busy to handle it all themselves. But I haven't seen that happen for at least 8 years now.

You can get an agent too. I have one who books weddings and parties and corporate events. He takes a small percentage, but it's worth it some times, when I don't have to do the legwork myself.

Tarotiana

Hi,

here in germany if you like to work events,

1. you either look like they expect a tarot reader to look, then people will contact you trough your website.

2. if you do not look like people expect a tarot reader to look, then you have to market yourself much heavier to get the better gigs...

Think press articles, telephone marketing, mailings, advertisments, networking, showcasing at eventfairs and so on. Think of 3 days of marketing for 2 gigs per week.

About fairs: If a fair wants you to be there, they will pay you to be there, and accept you to be the only one there, or agree to only a few commpetitors.

If you contact a fair and want to work there, this can cost you up to 750 $ a weekend (arghhhhh...cough..!!!). And you can find yourself with heaps of competitors there ....or beside the "best friend forever" of the fair organisators wife, that got her space for free, and offers readings for 10 $... (this is no joke, it already happened to me.)

So: Try to inform yourself well about the fair before you go there, before ending up in tarot reading hell at some fair ;-)

starrystarrynight

And sometimes a little luck doesn't hurt. :)

My latest upcoming gig (reading at a wedding reception, of all places) fell into my lap. A friend of my daughter's asked all her Facebook contacts if they knew of any readers who would be interested in reading at her reception (which she has artfully themed as "New Orleans",) my DD suggested me, and I'm now booked for it!

But I totally agree with the other responses. Letting people know you are available (friends, colleagues, etc.) doesn't hurt. And even suggesting a "reading party" where you can do readings at any businesses where you are "friendly" with the owners sometimes works. (i.e. if you frequent a particular restaurant or other business where people congregate, you might suggest a tarot night. Some places will welcome new marketing ideas like that. They just may not have thought of it yet, and could thank you for the suggestion later!)

Yineth

Thank you all for the advice given here. I don't see myself trying to strike out into the field just yet, but I love getting advice and tips from you all :)

@Starry: Weddings sound so fun! x3