VII of Cups Symbolism

Abrac

This is a little off the subject, but since you ask. In one of Waite's Fellowship of the Rosy Cross rituals, "The Ceremony of Consecration on the Threshold of Sacred Mystery," there's something interesting as it pertains to the Fool. In the beginning of the ritual the Postulant is given a wallet containing colored blocks of wood representing the "parts of his personality in their normal mode of being." Then toward the end the blocks are emptied from the wallet and replaced with all white blocks representing the inner life in it's purified state. The wallet is returned to the Postulant and the High Priest says, "I pray that your natural manhood may so be changed in God." The wallet's described like this: "The outlines of a Temple are depicted on one side of the wallet and on the other is an open eye."

The Fool is also described as having "a wallet curiously embroidered," and he is just beginning his journey like the Postulant in the ritual. It would be impossible to say the Fool is carrying blocks of wood in his wallet, but I believe Waite has given some insight into what is symbolically inside the wallet, that is "parts of his personality in their nomal mode of being." He also gives a clue in his mention of "an open eye" on one side of the wallet. A lot has been made about what kind of bird is depicted on the Fool's wallet [which I happen to think is probably an eagle], but now I think the more important part is the bird's eye.

I think there are answers if a person's willing to look hard and long enough; whether or not it's worth it depends on the person I guess. :)

Ruby Jewel

This is a little off the subject, but since you ask. In one of Waite's Fellowship of the Rosy Cross rituals, "The Ceremony of Consecration on the Threshold of Sacred Mystery," there's something interesting as it pertains to the Fool. In the beginning of the ritual the Postulant is given a wallet containing colored blocks of wood representing the "parts of his personality in their normal mode of being." Then toward the end the blocks are emptied from the wallet and replaced with all white blocks representing the inner life in it's purified state. The wallet is returned to the Postulant and the High Priest says, "I pray that your natural manhood may so be changed in God." The wallet's described like this: "The outlines of a Temple are depicted on one side of the wallet and on the other is an open eye."

The Fool is also described as having "a wallet curiously embroidered," and he is just beginning his journey like the Postulant in the ritual. It would be impossible to say the Fool is carrying blocks of wood in his wallet, but I believe Waite has given some insight into what is symbolically inside the wallet, that is "parts of his personality in their nomal mode of being." He also gives a clue in his mention of "an open eye" on one side of the wallet. A lot has been made about what kind of bird is depicted on the Fool's wallet [which I happen to think is probably an eagle], but now I think the more important part is the eye.

I think there are answers if a person's willing to look hard and long enough; whether or not it's worth it depends on the person I guess. :)

I'm gravitating toward the theory that there are no answers that can be handed to us quite so easily as reading them in a book. The tarot is "esoteric" knowledge, meaning that the understanding is intuitive. I am, of late, moving into the position that the cards themselves serve up their answers when we are ready to receive it. Lately, I have had a couple of cards become quite clear to me from making odd connections with the imagery.....and all of a sudden I know.....and it is quite a phenomenon when this happens because you "know you know"......there is no doubt. I believe books are important in the beginning to get a "foothold"..... but then it is necessary to wean ones self and strike off like the Fool... as a matter of fact, maybe that is the meaning/point of the Fool as he is just an observer....not an integrated part of the major arcana.

Abrac

I would agree not all answers can be learned from books, but a lot can.

Ruby Jewel

I would agree not all answers can be learned from books, but a lot can.

Of course, you are totally right. Actually, I'm not so sure I should have made that statement as I am a "bookworm" at heart, have learned a tremendous lot from books, and continue to do so. I must have over a thousand books, and I treasure each one, obsessively. Perhaps I should rephrase that statement. I feel, actually, that all the little hints one discovers by reading and studying what is written books, accumulate in the back of the mind and at some point coagulate into that "aha" moment. It seems I am experiencing this on some level. Thank you very much for you input here.

Ruby Jewel

The veiled person is suppose to represent the high priestess and her holding a veil between her and the veil to the world.

Laurelle, when I first read this I was a bit skeptical; however, after reading a reference to "the veil" in "The Book of Thoth" I had one of those moments when a lot of things came together and remembered what you said here about it being the High Priestess. The reference referred to the "instinct beneath the veil" and also the "unconscious". Obviously, that IS the High Priestess. Thank you so much for your response.....it gave me the key I was looking for.

CrystalSeas

In one of Waite's Fellowship of the Rosy Cross rituals, "The Ceremony of Consecration on the Threshold of Sacred Mystery," there's something interesting as it pertains to the Fool.

Thanks for that detail. I appreciate this (and your other historical information posts) because, for me, I need the foundation of what they were *trying* to do to help me make more use of the visible symbols on the card. The backpack has now added a bit of depth to my readings that never would have been there. I'm certainly not equipped for the deep delves that you and others do back into the source material.

I need all the secondary sources I can lay my hands on. Thanks for providing that.

Ruby Jewel

Thanks for that detail. I appreciate this (and your other historical information posts) because, for me, I need the foundation of what they were *trying* to do to help me make more use of the visible symbols on the card. The backpack has now added a bit of depth to my readings that never would have been there. I'm certainly not equipped for the deep delves that you and others do back into the source material.

I need all the secondary sources I can lay my hands on. Thanks for providing that.

Hi CrystalSeas.....I want to refer you to a few posts back where I acknowledged the error I made with my reply to Abrac's post. Of course, we all need books....especially me.

Abrac

Appreciate the feedback CrystalSeas. Glad it's helpful. To my mind there's no question Waite encoded his "Secret Doctrine" into the majors especially. My interest is in uncovering as much of it as possible and it's inevitable that that means delving into Waite's writings. It helps me to share some of the things I uncover and if that helps someone else great; if not, that's okay too. But it's not my intention to take anything away from anyone else nor would I want to. :)

Laurelle

I'm reminded of the knapsack that the Fool carries...so much speculation as to what is inside it....I wonder, does anyone know? I keep thinking there must be some logical connection with the rest of the imagery....and a choice of some kind.

The fool carries all the items the magican has.

Or he is carrying with him the one all omininil