New Tarot Card Movie

allibee

arkgoth said:
Yes, I also agree with you about vigorous research. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of time like most independant artists would. It would be great to one day spend a year in a culture before making a movie on it!

So Arkgoth, I think you and we have learned some valuable lessons from this thread:

Arkgoth has learned that prior research is a vital component in portrayal of any subject you are not intimately knowledgeable of.
That it is best to completely and honestly state your intentions from the outset, to avoid the potential for misinterpretation and angst.

We, on the other hand, have learned that this film will have no bearing on the true nature of tarot. Is that correct?

allibee

arkgoth

I have never found any film to have any bearing on ANY thing. Can you even name me a period film whose clothings and every elements are done EXACTLY in the books written in history?

There is always something wrong with it. I have never found aany film to be politically correct. And yes, I learn that research cannot be done in this way. The only thing that was strange is that I started this thread asking for suggestions and it was interesting to see it turn out this way :)

Umbrae

Yo buddy…

I have a suggestion.

Just make a good film.

The Ring was one of the creepiest/coolest films I have seen in years. A wonderful genre.

May your film, above all – entertain. May it do for Tarot, what The Ring did for video tapes (LOL).

But I beg you please – allow the folks with their heads stuck in the mud – to remain in such a state…it’s good for the scenery.

Break a leg!

(Pssst…wanna see a really dark deck? They say it was made by Himmler in ’44…others say it’s far older…Lovecraft wrote about it in his notes…but look – you can see the needle marks, where it was tattooed onto the medium, while the medium was still…alive.)

arkgoth

Thanks for the advice buddy...

are you referring to The Ring in Japanese or the american one...the japanese version in 2000 freaked out me out......BAD....heeheee

Umbrae

american.

I liked the local where it was filmed. I live there...the land of no shadows.

arkgoth

Haven't seen the american one. My sound designer was in charge of the sound engineering for the trailers for the american version of the ring.

Umbrae

You need to see it – however it works best in a theatre environment.

Most folks do not realize you can scare the hell out of folks without the slasher element...good solid story telling with a conducive atmosphere.

allibee

arkgoth said:
I have never found any film to have any bearing on ANY thing. Can you even name me a period film whose clothings and every elements are done EXACTLY in the books written in history?

Errr……yes
Shakespeare in Love
Anything by Kenneth Brannagh
Anything by the BBC… you may have heard of them…or possibly not

Perhaps then that is just a failing of the US film industry, because the British take extraordinary pride and effort in their portrayal of accurate historical film work.

Perhaps that you “have never found any bearing on ANY thing”, to quote you, is because you are not sufficiently versed in the referential elements provided in the films you view, and therefore come away with only a superficial or inaccurate insight, which has been my whole point all along.
I don’t believe you lack intelligence so there should be no need for me to point out a case study, but : In making the film of the Enigma machine, the American filmmakers changed what is a matter of historical fact to ‘show’ that it was the Americans who captured the particular enigma machine that changed the tide of WW2, and not the British. I don’t particularly care, even though I am British. But their portrayal purporting to be ‘fact’ would leave many younger, less knowledgeable viewers thinking that was, in fact, ‘the truth’.

BTW, we have given you suggestions which you have never even taken the time to acknowledge, which only serves to reinforce the ‘head in the mud’ viewpoint that Umbrae so interestingly describes. If you are not interested in receiving suggestions, can you wonder why people question your motives?

This concludes my input on this thread as I can’t really be bothered anymore.
You asked for suggestions, and when you got them, you showed not even enough decency or interest to even decline them.
You asked for more people to give their criticisms, and when they did, you portray yourself as being victimized.
As such, can you wonder why some people react to you as they do?

arkgoth

OH MY!!!!! You actually believe Shakespeare in Love and Kenneth Brannagh are politically correct. Shakespeare in love did have some faults in it, which I will not pickk on, but I will say it has been proven that queen elizabeth had black teeth for one...

Kenneth Branagh (<-) Note Spelling
Made which film that is politically correct?
Here is his list (please don't tell me anything by him is politcally correct)
Alien Love Triangle (2002) .... Steven Chesterman
Following the Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) (TV) .... Narrator
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) .... Professor Gilderoy Lockhart
Tramp and the Dictator, The (2002)(voice) .... Himself/Narrator
Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) .... Mr. Neville
Judi Dench: A BAFTA Tribute (2002) (TV) .... Himself
Shackleton (2002) (TV) .... Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton, Expedition Leader
Beasts Within, The (2001) (TV)(voice) .... Narrator (UK version)
... aka Science Special: The Beasts Within (2001) (TV) (UK)
... aka Science of Walking with Beasts: Part Two, The (2001) (TV) (Australia)
Triumph of the Beasts (2001) (TV)(voice) .... Narrator (UK version)
... aka Science Special: Triumph of the Beasts (2001) (TV) (UK)
... aka Science of Walking with Beasts: Part One, The (2001) (TV) (Australia)
"Walking with Beasts" (2001) TV Series .... Narrator (UK version)
... aka "Walking with Prehistoric Beasts" (2001) (USA: US version)
Conspiracy (2001) (TV) .... SS-Obergruppenfuhrer (General) Reinhard Heydrich, Chief of the Reich Main Security Office, Deputy Reich Protector of Bohemia and Moravia
Ballad of Big Al, The (2001) (TV)(voice) .... Narrator (UK version)
... aka Allosaurus: A 'Walking with Dinosaurs' Special (2001) (TV)
Behind the Scenes: Road to El Dorado (2000) (V)
Richard Briers: A Good Life (2000) (TV) .... Himself
Schneider's 2nd Stage (2000)
William Shakespeare (2000) .... Actor/Director
Big Al Uncovered (2000) (TV) .... Narrator (UK version)
... aka Science of Big Al, The (2000) (TV) (UK)
Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces (2000) (TV)(voice) .... Himself/Narrator
How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog (2000) .... Peter McGowan
Book That Wrote Itself, The (2000)(uncredited) .... Himself
Road to El Dorado, The (2000)(voice) .... Miguel
Love's Labour's Lost (2000) .... Berowne
... aka Peines d'amour perdues (2001) (France)

Periwig-Maker, The (1999)(voice) .... Periwig-Maker
... aka Perückenmacher, Der (1999) (Germany)
Galapagos: The Enchanted Voyage (1999)(voice) .... Narrator
Making of 'Walking with Dinosaurs', The (1999) (TV)(voice) .... Narrator
"Walking with Dinosaurs" (1999) TV Series .... Narrator (UK version)
... aka "Dinosaurier - Im Reich der Giganten" (1999) (Germany)
Wild Wild West (1999) .... Dr. Arliss Loveless
"Cold War" (1998) (mini) TV Series(voice) .... Narrator
Dance of Shiva, The (1998) .... Colonel Evans
Universal Horror (1998) (TV) .... Narrator
Theory of Flight, The (1998) .... Richard
Celebrity (1998) .... Lee Simon
Proposition, The (1998) .... Father Michael McKinnon
Gingerbread Man, The (1998) .... Rick Magruder
"Great Composers" (1997) TV Series .... Narrator
100 Years of Horror: The Frankenstein Family (1996) (V) .... Himself
"Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" (1996) (mini) TV Series(voice) .... Narrator
Making Hamlet (1996) (V) .... Himself
Kennedy Center Honors, The (1996) (TV) .... Himself
Hamlet (1996) .... Hamlet
... aka William Shakespeare's Hamlet (1996)
Looking for Richard (1996) .... Himself
Shadow of a Gunman (1995) (TV) .... Donal Davoren
... aka Performance: Shadow of a Gunman (1995) (TV) (UK: series title)
Othello (1995) .... Iago
Anne Frank Remembered (1995) (TV)(voice) .... Narration
It's Alive: The True Story of Frankenstein (1994) (TV) .... Himself
Frankenstein (1994) .... Victor Frankenstein
... aka Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993) .... Seigneur Benedick
Swing Kids (1993)(uncredited) .... Herr Knoff, Gestapo
Symphony for the Spire (1992) .... Himself (performing excerpts from 'Henry V')
... aka HRH The Prince of Wales' Symphony for the Spire (1992) (UK: complete title)
... aka Spectacle of Music and Theatre in Aid of the Salisbury Cathedral Spire Appeal, A (1992) (UK: subtitle)
Peter's Friends (1992) .... Andrew Benson
Dead Again (1991) .... Roman Strauss/Mike Church
Discovering Hamlet (1990) .... Himself/Hamlet

Look Back in Anger (1989) (TV) .... Jimmy Porter
Henry V (1989) .... Henry V
"Thompson" (1988) TV Series .... Various roles
"Fortunes of War" (1987) (mini) TV Series .... Guy Pringle
Lady's Not for Burning, The (1987) (TV) .... Thomas Mendip
Month in the Country, A (1987) .... James Moon
Strange Interlude (1987) (TV) .... Gordon Evans
High Season (1987) .... Rick
Ghosts (1986) (TV) .... Oswald
Coming Through (1985) .... D.H. Lawrence
Coming to Terms for Billy, A (1984) (TV) .... Billy Martin
"Boy in the Bush" (1984) (mini) TV Series .... Jack Grant
To the Lighthouse (1983) (TV) .... Charles Tansley
Easter 2016 (1982) (TV)
... aka Play for Tomorrow: Easter 2016 (1982) (TV) (UK: series title)
Too Late to Talk to Billy (1982) (TV) .... Billy
... aka Play for Today: Too Late to Talk to Billy (1982) (TV) (UK: series title)
"Maybury" (1981) (mini) TV Series .... Robert Clyde Moffat

Director - filmography
(2000s) (1990s) (1980s)

Love's Labour's Lost (2000)

Hamlet (1996)
In the Bleak Midwinter (1995)
... aka Midwinter's Tale, A (1996) (USA)
Frankenstein (1994)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
Swan Song (1992)
Peter's Friends (1992)
Dead Again (1991)

Henry V (1989)(BA)
Twelfth Night, Or What You Will (1988) (TV)

Writer - filmography

Love's Labour's Lost (2000)

Hamlet (1996)
In the Bleak Midwinter (1995)
... aka Midwinter's Tale, A (1996) (USA)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)

Henry V (1989)

Love's Labour's Lost (2000) (producer)

Frankenstein (1994) (co-producer)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993) (producer)
Peter's Friends (1992) (producer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Filmography as: Actor, Director, Writer, Producer, Notable TV Guest Appearances
allibee said:
Errr……yes
Shakespeare in Love
Anything by Kenneth Brannagh
Anything by the BBC… you may have heard of them…or possibly not

Perhaps then that is just a failing of the US film industry, because the British take extraordinary pride and effort in their portrayal of accurate historical film work.

Perhaps that you “have never found any bearing on ANY thing”, to quote you, is because you are not sufficiently versed in the referential elements provided in the films you view, and therefore come away with only a superficial or inaccurate insight, which has been my whole point all along.
I don’t believe you lack intelligence so there should be no need for me to point out a case study, but : In making the film of the Enigma machine, the American filmmakers changed what is a matter of historical fact to ‘show’ that it was the Americans who captured the particular enigma machine that changed the tide of WW2, and not the British. I don’t particularly care, even though I am British. But their portrayal purporting to be ‘fact’ would leave many younger, less knowledgeable viewers thinking that was, in fact, ‘the truth’.

BTW, we have given you suggestions which you have never even taken the time to acknowledge, which only serves to reinforce the ‘head in the mud’ viewpoint that Umbrae so interestingly describes. If you are not interested in receiving suggestions, can you wonder why people question your motives?

This concludes my input on this thread as I can’t really be bothered anymore.
You asked for suggestions, and when you got them, you showed not even enough decency or interest to even decline them.
You asked for more people to give their criticisms, and when they did, you portray yourself as being victimized.
As such, can you wonder why some people react to you as they do?

allibee

Did I mention politically correct.... I think not

Did I say anything with him in....I think not

Sir, when I credited you with some intelligence, I was obviously mistaken, if you think political correctness and the portrayal of historical accuracy are the same thing.

Originally posted by arkgoth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir, you manage to be incredibly prosaic when people respond to you, yet say nothing, as in:-
originally posted by allibee

Your constant lack of interest in the 'supposed' reason you originally posted is a constant source of amazement to many here. Not all, I might add but, as the saying goes: You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all of the time

p.s Queen Elizabeth's falsies (teeth) turned black in later life because they were made of wood, actually, also proven.