"NO REFUNDS, once it is gone, it is gone, be sure you want a reading

lark

Two things you might do...
When I work fairs where I am responsible for taking in my own money I often set aside the money from my first readings...so if anyone is not satisfied and asks for it back I have one reading worth of money set aside.
If you decide not to say "no refund" on your site having the equivilant of one of the readings set aside would give you peace of mind at least.
But no one in the 17 years I have been reading pro has ever asked for their money back.
I think it is a good idea to say no refunds on a website...it's so complicated geting the money back and forth.
You might soften the blow a bit by offering to re-evaluate the reading if they are dissatisfied, or give a fresh reading for free if you feel they have real legitimate reasons for being unhappy about the reading.
But offer that on an individual basis as the need arises. Don't advertise it.
But I bet no one will ever want their money back.

AJ

if his payments are going through PayPal, refunding is super simple. No complications at all, unless of course the account has been cleared. Even then the account must be connected to a bank so the money could be refunded from there in an instant.

No refunds sounds like a fine idea for Holmes, but I just saying it isn't complicated.

SunChariot

If you want to not give refunds on your site, that is your option. It's your business and you have a perfect right to set the rules you feel comfortable with. But (this is just my opinion) try to soften it by phrasing it in a way that shows some benefit to the client.

Like yes, say that the future can change and that does not mean a reading was inaccurate (I always tell people that anytime I do a future reading and ask them if they still want me to go ahead, wtih that understanding).

And maybe tell them it is in their best interest not to ask for a refund if something may not immediately seem true, because in time after they have had time to let it settle in and things progress they will likely see the truth in it. And that there is always wisdom in the cards. And for that reason, to benefit them, you do not offer refunds. Or something along those lines if you know what I mean.

A woman I know who has done a few readings for me, always says that when she sends me a reading, at the start of reading. That what she says may or may not immeditately ring true. But if you let it sit, in time she has faith that you will fully see the wisdom in it.

Barbara.

Sheri

I don't offer refunds. Yes, the client is paying for the reading, but they are also paying for my time. There is no guarantee written or implied that the client is only required to pay if they "like" the reading. That's like eating a meal in a restaurant and only paying if you like it.

The only time I would give the money back is if I couldn't read for them after I took their money.

:love: Sheri

Manda

Sheri said:
That's like eating a meal in a restaurant and only paying if you like it.

Please, please, please do not pay for a meal in a restaurant you do not like. I work in one, and believe me, it's expected. :)

214red

interesting thread!

i would agree that you have the right not to give out refunds, and to be honest how are you going to refund your time etc , i personally would never ask for a refund from a reader, i might ask for clarification...and if that didnt make sense not use the reader again.
i would say you shouldnt refund the amount 100%, but as others say you might want to offer another reading, or perhaps a portion of the money back. if you didnt like a meal in a resturant they likely will only refund/replace a portion of the meal...not the whole thing (service charge, drinks, other courses etc).

but the disclaimer is tricky, i think you should have something to state your refund rules but i wouldnt put it on your disclaimer. instead i would write some blurb and put it on a different page that they can navigate too if they want to see the policy (looks better from a professional point of view)

gregory

As I said in your other thread - no refunds is fine (not the route I would go but still...) but I think all you need is a statement at the top of your payment info page along the lines of:
"Please note: I do not offer refunds under any circumstances."

That's all you need. There could be no arguments as you would just have to gently point them to that page. You don't need all the stuff you have now; it clouds the issue and actually suggests you are prepared to argue the point. A simple statement is all you need. Just state your policy. You don't have to explain it.

But I assume that if - for instance - your connection went down mid-reading, you would be open to negotiation ? :)

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with your dummy purchase - but don't let that make you think that refunds are complicated - they aren't. You are legally entitled to your money back already, and I would consult the agencies that deal with such things in Ontario. If you paid with paypal it is now too late to go that route, sadly.

I have to point out also that paypal will let your clients chargeback anyway, if they can argue that they didn't get a good service. Nothing is infallible.

Sheri

Manda said:
Please, please, please do not pay for a meal in a restaurant you do not like. I work in one, and believe me, it's expected. :)

Ok, bad example :D

I'll go back to my computer consulting days for an example... I charged up to $200 for on-site service calls (the price varied due to day and time I was supposed to show up and meant mostly as a deterrent to people calling me on those days and times--they did anyway). There was never any guarantee that I was going to be able to fix what was wrong with it, but they still had to pay for my time.

Another example could be hiring a home inspector to do an inspection, getting an honest inspection but then the person decides they don't like it. You still have to pay for it as the service has been provided.

gregory

Yes indeed - but what if you get a genuinely crap inspection ? You get a refund then - even if via a mediator of some kind. And after that comes the grey area - you think it is crap and the inspector doesn't.... There will ALWAYS be room for doubt.

YES time is money - but I think being too rigid can lead to problem,s. Sure - don't give refunds if that is the policy - but don't go in with all guns blazing BEFORE the dispute - just state it.

And there WILL be the odd case - as I said, what if the sitter's phone line goes down mid reading, for instance. Or worse - if the reader's connection does.....

HOLMES

yes, umm

in the case of really crappy inspection and I mean totally crappy, I myself wouldn't be looking for a mediator i would look for other customers and find a petitions for this dude to get more training, or redo it right.

it is for that reason I took advantage of the training experience by reading in the reading exchange,, trying out new readings,, differnt techiques, adding this , removing this.
so I personally feel or hope that I am ready enough do this.!

but if the first 5 customers email me back and say "crappy " well the old saying goes
well there is smoke there is fire,, and if the smoke says that my input i am putting out i am is crap.
well the only honorable thing to do is close down the website,, turn it into a love of tarot website or channeling and no longer offer any services.

to avoid the phone problem (i got a restrictor on my line, plus i speak fast with a very big speech impediment) I will just offer readings by email within 72 hours.

I also plan that on the offchance i get more readings then I can handle i will disble the paypal links so i don't keep taking on money til i honor my service agreements.

that is how I plan to work around things.