"Sealing" your deck

Marieve

Hey this sealing idea is very similar to what I do with so called Guardian of the deck. Here is the thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=163379

I thought nobody else is having similar mythological games with their Tarot deck, cool that people do.

I do it because it's fun and I don't feel like I have to be so modern and superstition free. Nowadays it is popular to do something that pretends to be objective tarot reading ( a bit like weather forecast ;-) I miss it when it was a mystery, I don't think it ever is objective anyway, it is not science. I like it a bit old fashioned and witchy. I reserve the right to choose my own myths though.

Debra

I do it really to protect the face of the card. Against what I don't know.

Le Fanu

Thanks to Debra I now have a new little ritual in my life. Thank you :*

It's like using the top card as a lid to "close" the deck. Nice. And I guess if a bad card is uppermost, it kind of invalidates it. Sort of. If you want it to... &c

I'm going to be busy this weekend getting all my decks out to seal. Won't be able to go to that party. :(

Barleywine

The only "closure" ritual I go through is to make sure I don't damage any corners when I slip a deck back into its box :) I do have a self-designed Significator card for a couple of decks that I always leave on top, but mainly so I don't have to search for it every time. If I were to get serious I'd make and "charge" a few magical "wards" or "sigils" and book-end my decks with them. But it doesn't seem to be necessary to go to such extremes.

Haizea

I don't have it with any cover now (the ones I use), but when I am leaving them, I always shuffle until the bottom card is one I like. There are many I like, so it is not difficult...and I don't know why I do it, but I do it. :D

Pandora MoonRaven

I don't seal my decks. I have from time to time found a deck that always read great for me seems to finally just have jumbled non-sensible readings all the time. When this happens I quietly sit down and reorder the deck from the fool all the way through.

I don't really see it as anything mystical to the cards themselves..it is more of a "hey let's just start over"

Amitisti

What is it your own quote says about 'Security is mostly a superstition' ? LOL!

If it floats your boat - go ahead and do it. If your boat won't float ~ do without it.
Good point tarotbear! lol

I have never heard of this ritual. The concept is rather interesting. From what tradition or source is it derived?
I haven't the foggiest what tradition it is from, but I do know she is a wiccan (no idea if it is from that) and she has been reading tarot for 20+ years (I would guess she has been sealing it for about the same length of time). I will have to try to remember to ask her next time I see her.

Hey this sealing idea is very similar to what I do with so called Guardian of the deck. Here is the thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=163379

I thought nobody else is having similar mythological games with their Tarot deck, cool that people do.

I do it because it's fun and I don't feel like I have to be so modern and superstition free. Nowadays it is popular to do something that pretends to be objective tarot reading ( a bit like weather forecast ;-) I miss it when it was a mystery, I don't think it ever is objective anyway, it is not science. I like it a bit old fashioned and witchy. I reserve the right to choose my own myths though.
Now this one I like...a guardian for the deck to let me know if I shouldn't be reading that question right now or to be cautious. I will have to think on this one some. Thanks Marvieve!

I don't seal my decks. I have from time to time found a deck that always read great for me seems to finally just have jumbled non-sensible readings all the time. When this happens I quietly sit down and reorder the deck from the fool all the way through.

I don't really see it as anything mystical to the cards themselves..it is more of a "hey let's just start over"
I find that I reorder my deck about once a week or so, just to make sure they are all there and...I don't know...just feels like I should...I guess I have made my own tradition/superstition about the cards! lol

AJ

Thanks to Debra I now have a new little ritual in my life. Thank you

I'm going to be busy this weekend getting all my decks out to seal. Won't be able to go to that party. :(

Toga Toga Toga...we'll bring our own decks and have a party. We'll seal till we rock...

Manda

I usually only have one deck shuffled at a time. I use each one for a week and before it goes back on the shelf I reorder it. I just think of that as housekeeping. I wouldn't put my clothes in a drawer in a rumple, or dishes in the cupboard unclean. I usually carry the deck I am using in a box or bag, and I put the Death card on top. I don't think it's an act of sealing, but perversity. A family member used to enjoy giving me a hard time about my cards, so I thought if they were going to snoop through my stuff they should get exactly what they are looking for. }) Now it's just habit.