78 cards...three minutes

greatdane

Grabbing a piece of paper, a pen and a deck, and going through a deck card by card and just writing one or two words that come to mind when I see each image, flipping over and going to next one. I'm going to pick a newer deck I'm not as familiar with to make it more interesting! I'm guessing many of you have done this. Anyone who hasn't want to give it a go and see how fast you can do it and if it felt helpful re intuition or just your relationship to the cards?

Carla

It's faster and fun to just say them out loud. Make two stacks as you go. Those you can blurt a key word or phrase for instantly in one pile, those that you have to pause for a second go in another pile. Then when finished, pick up the second, shuffle it, and try them again. I used to do this all the time when I was learning. I call it 'tarot flash cards'.

greatdane

lol I love the term flash cards with tarot

I just have a few new decks that I am not as familiar with as some of my older ones. I do that all the time, just flip through cards and say the first word that comes to mind. I thought I would write down this time so I could go back and compare when I do the same with another new deck. It is kind of like a rorschach test! That is a little how I see tarot, not exactly, but a little.

Carla

That's a cool idea, writing them down. Especially the ones where have no idea why that particular word popped out. :)

danieljuk

I saw a great beginners learning technique once in a blog online. They suggested simplifying your tarot learning. Don't try to learn everything at once. To start off with learn one word for each card. If you do reversals too, you do them as well. You choose a word which is personal to you and your interpretation for the card. It's very interesting to just choose one word to describe a card, it's harder than you think and makes you think about your own learnt meanings of a card!

anyway I shall give this a go!
although I now know more indepth meanings about each card, that "one word" still serves in my head as the main theme of the card.

greatdane

Carla and Danieljuk,

lol Carla, yes, it is like an a combination inkblot/word association I guess :). I wanted to write it down when I compare two newer decks I got so I can line up the answers as I mentioned. To see how I may see each deck a bit differently. Danieljuk, I think it's handy because even if we "know" all the cards basic meanings, sometimes that meaning can be colored a bit over time or with different decks. For instance, in some decks we may see the Fool as a new beginning, in others more like naivete. I know the meanings have become more nuanced the longer I read. They may be basically the same, but the shadings and highlighting may change a bit :).