"Resetting" Tarot Decks

Simplexity

I have this tradition when, after a reading/set of readings, I like to go through the cards and put them into their suits, but not in numerical order. I like to think of it as a soft reset of the deck, just to get the residual /stuff/ off of it. Once in a while I'll do a "hard reset" of the deck, putting it in numerical order as well as ordering the suits.

I was just wondering if any other readers did this or something similar. I do it because it feels like a natural thing to do and because seeing all the cards is good for learning the deck. What are some things guys do to you "reset" your decks?

velvetina

I do this from time to time; for example if I'm putting a deck aside for the foreseeable future, I put it in order. It seems tidier!

One thing I do that seems like "re-setting" is that once a year - there is a particular time I do this too, when the Full Moon is in Virgo - I take my first ever deck & it's 'back up', and put the cards of the latter in the same order as those of the original deck.

Just those two decks. The others get to keep their independence ;)

Just one of those personal rituals! Like checking one's watch against the chimes of the clock, I suppose.

Nemia

I do that regularly for all my decks. I like the feeling that I can start from zero again. It's like clearing up my desk and putting all the stuff into archives. Fresh start :)

nisaba

I have this tradition when, after a reading/set of readings, I like to go through the cards and put them into their suits, but not in numerical order. I like to think of it as a soft reset of the deck, just to get the residual /stuff/ off of it. Once in a while I'll do a "hard reset" of the deck, putting it in numerical order as well as ordering the suits.
I put them in order only when gifting them or trading them away. It's good manners to the person receiving them.

I find if I re-order them, it takes a hell of a lot of shuffling to randomise them again.

I was just wondering if any other readers did this or something similar. I do it because it feels like a natural thing to do and because seeing all the cards is good for learning the deck.
Shuffle them. Go through them. Play Tarot Solitaire with them.

What are some things guys do to you "reset" your decks?
A brief shuffle after every reading does the job fabulously. If I suspect any cards may have become upside down (someone riffled, someone dropped cards, etc), I'll make sure they're all upright - I don't do reversals any more.

That's all they need to be clear.

Richard

I have this tradition when, after a reading/set of readings, I like to go through the cards and put them into their suits, but not in numerical order. I like to think of it as a soft reset of the deck, just to get the residual /stuff/ off of it......
What 'residual stuff' is removed by that procedure which is not more easily removed by randomizing (i.e., shuffling)?

Alta

What 'residual stuff' is removed by that procedure which is not more easily removed by randomizing (i.e., shuffling)?
Because the reading is done by the reader. Therefore, if this is effective for Simplexity, then it will indeed calm her mind and remove residual effects.

danieljuk

I read somewhere once that if you are having communicating with your deck to lay out all the cards in order, and reorder them to get the energy back in order.

I just shuffle mine at the end and don't do a soft reset :) A great tip I read somewhere is that instead of putting the cards you used at one end, to randomly place them in a deck. if you do a second similar reading and the cards come again, it makes it even more amazing to me! Whatever works for you with your deck for next time :)

Simplexity

When I first began reading I had extreme difficulty riffle shuffling, so I would just move the deck around, and when I don't want to hurt my hands, which are on the small side, I do that in combination with shuffling now. Unfortunately, that means that when reversals and such are added into the deck, they don't go away. It's also harder to randomize with that type of shuffling.

Since I've gotten better at shuffling, maybe it's not as necessary as it used to be, but I also like knowing that two cards weren't near each other before the shuffle. It reassures the skeptic in me.

It can also be something of a learning exercise-- what would these cards that I'm putting away mean in a reading, what are the things that I notice first about the card when I'm not looking at it in depth, etc.

moon_light

After a reading, I shuffle until it "feels right." I do the same thing again before the next reading. That way I've undone the previous reading first and then prepared for the next one. Like danieljuk said, I also always put my used cards randomly in the deck. It just feels better to do it that way.

greatdane

Well, we all do what seems to work for us

I personally do not reorder cards unless I'm reading for a new person with a deck. But then I DO VERY few readings for others with tarot. I don't reorder for myself. I just keep shuffling. I have a few friends I will read tarot for and I tend to read with a specific deck for them and feel no need to reshuffle using that deck for the same person. But again, I DO VERY FEW tarot readings for others and that's, perhaps, why I feel the need to reorder if reading for a new person with a deck.