7 Deadly Sins / 7 Holy Virtues

Poetic_Pirate

okay, so the topic of the 7 Deadly sins has come up quite a bit lately for me. ive studied the hell out of the deadly sins, but the idea of the holy virtures is new to me. my biggest question is, WHAT ARE THEY?! i have heard at least 78 variations of it....thats a lot of holy virtures thats for sure. i was just wondering, does anyone know exactly what they are? this would mean a lot to me ^_^

Peace,
Pirate

Poetic_Pirate

hmmmmmmm still a little confusing, however, it makes a little more sence. i guess i just have to study it more ^_^ thank you very much

Kenny

Being nosy I read through the Wikipedia article and came across this: Faith, Hope, and Love. It reminded me of Garth Brooks song but it is driving me mad trying to remember what one it is... :)

Rosanne

Three theological virtues are Faith, Hope and Charity to which are added the four Cardinal Virtues of Fortitude, Justice, Prudence and Temperance.
These are so said because of the 'Four' Points of the compass on Earth (cardinal) and the Number 'Three' that signifys Heaven.The odd thing is 'where is Prudence' in Tarot?
~Rosanne

Rosanne

I was thinking about why one would think there are many versions of the seven virtues. I think you may have added in the so-called 'gifts of the Spirit' spoken about in Isaiah. Roman Catholics believe them to be Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, and the biggie- Fear of the Lord. I would imagine people of Jewish faith and maybe Muslims believe in these also- but I was raised RC. Look to the film "The Life of Brian" for the seven deadly sins. ~Rosanne

WalesWoman

Rosanne said:
Three theological virtues are Faith, Hope and Charity to which are added the four Cardinal Virtues of Fortitude, Justice, Prudence and Temperance.
These are so said because of the 'Four' Points of the compass on Earth (cardinal) and the Number 'Three' that signifys Heaven.The odd thing is 'where is Prudence' in Tarot?
~Rosanne
Do you mean, besides our own dear Prudence, who I expected to pipe up with "Here I am!"? It seems 4 Pentacles would be Prudence, but as for a Major, perhaps Emperor or Judgement... or even Devil?

Hope is Star
Faith might be Lovers or Hierophant
Charity... ok who is Charity, all I can think of is 6 Pentacles? Empress?
Fortitude - Strength?
Justice... Justice
Temperance as Temperance

Rosanne

Hi WW- Prudence was sometimes thought to be the Hanged Man- I think the Chariot. You are right -Hope is the Star; Fortitude is Strength. Faith is the Pope/Heirophant, although could be Papessa/High Priestess as 'Mother Church' I do not think these Triumphs would be in the minors. I think the Fruits of the Spirit- there are twelve and could be depicted in the Minors, as Pamela was Catholic. Charity is seen as Love.
So the Fruits of the Spirit are my guesses as follows using RWS
Charity- 6 Pentacles
Joy- 3 Cups
Peace- 2 Swords???(In Thoth seen as Truce)
Patience- 3 Wands???
Kindness- 6 Cups
Goodness- 4 Swords??
Generosity-9 Cups (Lol?)
Faithfulness- 3 Pentacles??/ 2 Cups???
Modesty- 9 Pentacles??
Selfcontrol- 4 Cups??
Chastity- Long shots here -9 Swords? 8 Swords (Freudian)6 Swords(off to a convent with servant) Anyway - interesting!! I am sure others will have different takes- but I am sure Pamela Colman Smith would have used these Catholic takes on fruits of the spirit. ~Rosanne

star-lover

Poetic_Pirate said:
WHAT ARE THEY?! i have heard at least 78 variations of it....thats a lot of holy virtures thats for sure. i was just wondering, does anyone know exactly what they are? this would mean a lot to me ^_^

Peace,
Pirate

where did you hear of 78 holy virtues?

Poetic_Pirate

ive heard about them here and there. they came up every once and awhile when i was looking into the seven deadly sins...aside from that, i noticed a spread for them here, and it got me thinking that i should look into them.