7 of wands as codependency (for want of a better word)

funkyfairy

I been studying the 7 wands recently and looking at it in various contexts. I did a google search and found this page.

http://tarotcanada.tripod.com/7WandsEngulfment.html

I found it very interesting as it suggests a codependant relationship or a person who is emotionally blocked e.g. defensive, frightened. Someone whom one minute wants a relationship the next pushes it away.

I have always found the wands difficult to interpret and I'd just like to know what everyone else thought on this card in this context.

FFxx

Apocalipstick

The usual imagery on the 7 of Wands depicts a person carrying or standing with 7 wands or staves in an upright position. This person has an aspect of vulnerability and contemplation, looking into the distance as if watching or waiting for something approaching.
I'm looking at my RWS right now, just to be sure, and I see no wands upright or being carried; the wand on this card are all actively engaged. There is no contemplative look. The man is battling the wands, not looking for anything to approach.

The description on the site sounds more like the 9 of wands, actually, unless by "usual imagery" the author of this site refers to something other than RWS imagery.

I suppose I can see how this card can show someone pushing a relationship away due to defenisiveness, but that should be supported by other cards. By itself, the 7 of Wands doesn't have much to do with emotional blocks, imo.

Plus, there was that extended paragraph on "engulfment" (say what?) that, combined with the strange description of the card, made me a bit suspicious of the information, to be perfectly honest.

Take another look at the card. On the RWS, if you have it. Do you think the person appears codependent?

funkyfairy

I think he looks like he wants a fight lol. The article struck me as a bit strange.

Apocalipstick

Either that, or not averse to one, should it find him.

I dunno. Your instincts on the article are probably right, I'd say.

funkyfairy

Thanks apocalipstick, I should have read the description of the card in the article.

Al Si'ra

7 of wands-by alone..to me means fighting for something you want or you don't want-against all odds-this fight might be as well against a relationship too..

You know there are times when your friends insist that you should hang out with some person and you don't want it..and you push it away with all the anger in you..you say no no no..no way..that is one of the possible scenerios the card tells me..

the fight the rejection might be out of fright insecurities or just because it does not feel right to you-might be about anything..but not necessarily blocked emotions..could be just the opposite..you may eagerly and bravely express your opinions and stand for them..it could be the release as well..

WalesWoman

I don't know about the co-dependancy part, but thinking about the RWS image, I can see where they might have gotten the push/pull ambivalence thing. Look at the feet, straddling the stream, with different shoes on. Sort of having a foot in both camps and defensive of both. Maybe the co-dependance part is someone else is wearing the matching shoes.

franniee

the 7 of wands to me means competition - somebody wants what you have - evenly matched challenge - desire not to remain stagnant - defense - changes within your control....

I do not relate to the card the way the woman does. I see the 7 of wands as a test of one's faith in oneself - you are making the change with knowledge and will learn from the process

I don't know what she is seeing... but you know everyone has a unique take on their cards....maybe this is hers. ;-)

Thirteen

Wands = Independence

Apocalipstick said:
I'm looking at my RWS right now, just to be sure, and I see no wands upright or being carried; the wand on this card are all actively engaged. There is no contemplative look. The man is battling the wands, not looking for anything to approach....Plus, there was that extended paragraph on "engulfment" (say what?) that, combined with the strange description of the card, made me a bit suspicious of the information, to be perfectly honest.
Good call, Apocalipstick. I'm in full agreement with you. Perhaps this person was looking at a 7/wands from some other deck?

In addition, co-dependency is usually the province of the Cups, which relate to addictions and needs, to emotional dependencies, to the desire to connect. Go through the Cups and you'll see from that 2/cups eyes-meet-eyes connection that Cups is all about co-dependency (healthy or otherwise)--look at the 5/cups remorse over losing others, 6/cups love of old relationships, 8/cups painful decision to leave the tribe, and 10/cups--the highest and happiest of cards, is being part of a family.

It's all about being on the ins-or-outs with others.

Wands are all about passion, creativity and inner fire--hardly things that blend like streams of water coming together. This is a suit about what you'll fight and die for, your philosophy, ethics, morals, ambitions.

Go through the entire suit, you'll see almost no Wands card which emphasizes the need to be part of a group/family/tribe. You'll see the wands making decisions or standing on their own (2/wands, 3/wands, 9/wands, 10/wands) as fighting the group (5/Wands, 7/Wands) or leading the group (6/Wands), but only in the 4/wands is there any indication of being part of the group. And that's for setting down a foundation, for celebration. Wands is, for the most part, a suit of individuality, of fighting for independence, not surrendering it.

funkyfairy

Thirteen,

At the risk of sounding like a sycophant, your insights are remarkable and always bring so much clarity. I find the wands very difficult but your take on the wands mostly depicting one person and fighting for independence makes perfect sense now. Thanx

Wales Women,

Thank you for getting me to look at the seven more closely I never noticed he had odd shoes.

ffxx