PCS Commemorative Tarot Set vs. PCS Centennial Tarot deck

archer1

RWS decks

There were four different versions of the deck. Deck A was replaced as a result of printing issues on bad stock and they fell apart. Deck B is what we have in the Centennial set. PCS altered and recolored a few of the cards this can be seen in the RWS Original set.

Twize

Hope nobody misunderstood the intention in my previous post.
It doesn't have to be alot of cards only an example from one single card or a few from each deck. Would be great for comparison. Only its made from the same scanner or camera. It's makes the difference.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I see it unlikely that she made all of it. Pamela made the A version with a blue back. There are the white lilies for the first time. She might been doing another one where the pink back comes in the line for the first time in history. It's still an A version but could also been done by the publisher as a follow up reproduction. Then we have the copycats all over the globe, for instance L.W de Laurence in Chicago who put his own name at almost every work he could find and use as it's own from A.E Waite and Pamela Colman Smith. I bet they were more. Here between the first one came out and the war, we get the B version.

These versions having very strong similarities in how they have been made with the other versions we haven't mentioned yet. Particularly if looking at the Sun and Temperance. A - is pretty much identical with D and B with C. The C version has been said to be the source of The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack that came out -93, I think it's true, if not B, which both seems to belong to. Almost starting to talk a little bit french when making a spread with these cards. Just catch your eyes on the fool here and the rest of the colors here in this deck. They not from England if this artist didn't grow up in France or didn't had ancestors there around in Europe. Do you think a french artist would have the freedom to make a deck like that for an english publisher in England..Maybe today but not so sure if that would be accepted in the long term the time it happened. So what alternatives do we have, I think it's still left open unknown.

But it Is known that we lost the important plates during the war - so we got the D version which also said to be the original source for most of decks we have today. That's the source Rider & company used and U.S games took after in the late sixties.

archer1# I guess you mean the second A edition that came with the pink back.
Perhaps that's why U.S games changed the back, it had been replaced anyway.
In my opinion, it should be the blue pattern on the back.

rwcarter

I now have both versions, but it won't be until Sunday at the earliest before I'll be able to scan comparison cards in and post them. If folks have specific cards they'd like to see, please let me know. As we can attach 5 images to a post, I'll do 5 comparison cards.

Twize

Sounds wonderful!
Will look forward seeing it, just take the time you need.
Anything will be just fine for me :)

Thanks for great help!

rwcarter

Doing two posts as I did 7 scans. This post contains comparisons of the card back, Fool and Hermit cards. To my eye the fronts are less green while they made the backs more green.

I think I prefer the backs of the first version and the fronts of the second....

Gotta finish up with the other 4 scans. Back in a few.

Attachments

• PCS Commemorative - Backs comparison.jpg
    PCS Commemorative - Backs comparison.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 444
  • PCS Commemorative - Fool comparison.jpg
    PCS Commemorative - Fool comparison.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 425
  • PCS Commemorative - Hermit comparison.jpg
    PCS Commemorative - Hermit comparison.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 429

rwcarter

Picked on card from each suit where the color differences seemed the most notable to me: 9 Pentacles, Queen Swords, Page Cups and 8 Wands.

Attachments

• PCS Commemorative - 9P comparison.jpg
    PCS Commemorative - 9P comparison.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 406
  • PCS Commemorative - QS comparison.jpg
    PCS Commemorative - QS comparison.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 403
  • PCS Commemorative - PC comparison.jpg
    PCS Commemorative - PC comparison.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 387
  • PCS Commemorative - 8W comparison.jpg
    PCS Commemorative - 8W comparison.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 387

Twize

Now we able to see the true difference here between these editions.

Thanks to rwcarter, thanks once again!

The bright cards, that's the new Centennial deck and the dark cards Commemorative set?

rwcarter

Thanks to rwcarter, thanks once again!

The bright cards, that's the new Centennial deck and the dark cards Commemorative set?
You're welcome. The images on the left are from the newly released deck-only version while the images on the right are from the original kit version. Not sure which you're referring to as being "brighter" so don't know how to answer that one.

Twize

You're welcome. The images on the left are from the newly released deck-only version while the images on the right are from the original kit version. Not sure which you're referring to as being "brighter" so don't know how to answer that one.

I guess that's a taste for each person, some uses glasses etc, lucky, don't have to.

Sad just they lost the sharpness in the second run when they made the cards more bright.

That's only how I see it and also heard some people mentioned it, green was mentioned before.

It may have some impact on cards in how colors brings forward when using more light.

Yellow for instance, may look a bit more yellow, as seen in 9 pentacles and the fool.

Suppose it may be the darker grey blue tone in the first set that turned a little bit to the green levels when they did like this in the second print.

archer1

To see a real difference compare them both the the Original Waite deck. All versions are very different from the other and not just colors.