Aquarian: The Star

Queen of Disks

Hello, everyone. I haven't posted on this deck in a long time, simply because I haven't used it in a long time. I've been busy with school and stuff, and using and learning from other decks. (My attention span is not the greatest. No IDS for me!) And as it seems to happen, I've been drawn back to the Aquarian, so I am ready to post some more thoughts about it.

The Star is one of my favorite cards in the deck. It's very beautiful and different then other Star cards, yet I just had no idea what to say about it for the longest time. I think I have a few ideas about it that hopefully make sense.

This card shows a bird sitting on a bush with red berries. (Don't know what kind of bush it is.) The bird looks like a peacock to me, because of the bird's colors and the plumage on it's head. I thought that the bush was part of the bird for the longest time. There is what looks like a treeline in the distance, and then mountains. In the sky a stylized and geometric star shine shines over the scene. And there are decorative geometric shapes at the bottom of the card.

This card seems quiet and peaceful, and very still. The songs and rhymes about wishing apon a star come to mind. The bird looks like he is considering flying away, or that something has caught his attention. Perhaps he is resting, before moving on to something better. I keep getting the idea that this card is about hope.

What do you think?

karenquilter

Aquarian Tarot: The Star

I'm with you, I read the foliage as part of the bird, for the longest time...in fact, until you pointed out that it wasn't!

So, let's call it a bird of paradise, instead of a peacock.

As I read somewhere recently, it's amazing how Palladino managed to make a beautiful, coherent tarot deck when he put so few of the usual symbols in it.

We have a gorgeous card with: a geometric construct which isn't radially symmetrical in an otherwise bare sky, a shrub that looks like an extension of the bird, a mountain valley, & art deco elements in the foreground that frame the title.

Where, o where, is the beautiful young woman pouring water from 2 pitchers into a pond? The radiant central star with an arc of lesser stars framing it? The shaded sky? Traditional, it ain't.

We still have the bird in a shrub, which has now assumed the central role, mountains in the distance, & something blazing away in the sky. Huh? you say. I am to understand that this is a card of hope & inspiration? Yet it works. In some ineffable way, this card works very, very well.

Gryphon's Kitten

I have no other deck to go on, but I have read about the 'normal' star card and the maiden pouring water from two pitchers. When I looked at the card just now though, I noticed that the orange/red long feathers to the left and right side seem to pour into the frame of the card, while his center tail feathers stop much higher.

In the east, the Peacock is the chosen steed of Skanda, a hindu god of war and his peacock represents the destruction of ego.

BTW, this is one of my favorite cards. I think it is the one of the most beautiful.