movies, books, comics about tarot?

Fulgour

Things You Can Tell Just by Looking at Her (2000)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210358/plotsummary

from IMDB summary:

An anthology of five loosely connected stories dealing with a variety of very different women in dealing with their own life problems. The first story "This is Dr. Keener" features Glenn Close as a doctor looking after her invalid mother who comes to realize that her own life is passing her by. The second story "Fantasies About Rebecca" features Holly Hunter as a wealthy bank manager who doesn't realize that her own life is a sham in dealing with an unplanned pregnancy, a workaholic boyfriend, and an observant street woman who knows more about Rebecca than she herself does. The third, "Someone For Rose" features Kathy Baker as a single mother who debates with herself over starting a romance with a dwarf who moves into the house across her street. The fourth, "Goodnight Lilly, Goodnight Christine" features Calista Flockhart as Christine, a tarot reader who struggles with increasing grief and depression while taking care of her lesbian lover Lilly who's dying from cancer. The fifth, "Love Waits for Kathy" features Amy Brenneman as a police detective who examines her loneliness after her blind sister Carol begins dating while Kathy is on a case of investigating the suicide of an old school friend who was just as lonely as she.

Pippa

Dorothy Dunnett - Lymond Series of 6 books

There are even sites on the internet where Dunnett has shared astrology charts created for her historical-fictional characters. The story it's involves some very interesting family and astrology threads throughout the series. I actually pulled my name from one of the main female characters.

fairyhedgehog

I'm just listening to Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult and that has a tarot reader in it! The trouble with audio books is that I'd love to go back and look at the reading she does, which uses no meanings I am familiar with, but there is nothing to look back over! (But you can't read while you're driving :D )

Mitchichen

well, other than Tarot Cafe and Escaflowne, ther's not much i know of.

I'm really tempted to say Card Captor Sakura, even though she doesnt use Tarot Cards, but her cards are slightly similar. they're called Clow cards, and every time she uses them, some kind of power comes out, like if she uses the water card, she can summon water, and when she uses the loop card, she can send anyone into an infinite loop (like they could be running down the street, and if the card is in effect, you'll pass by the exact same thing about 10 times before you notice you've been running in an endless circle).

Hmm...then there's that episode of Yami no Matsuei (descendants of darkness) where people keep getting killed and the murderer leaves a Tarot card at the scene...i think it's either episode 7 or 8, cant remember. Warning, it's got a lot of adult content, so be warned.

Then in the PS1 game Persona 2, there are tarot cards that are used to summon the "personas" (summons), the game is a bit hard to find though.

Same with Ogre battles (also on the PS1), some of the attacks are based on Tarot cards.

I'm such a nerd....and i think Atlus (the company that made persona and ogre battles) has a thing for the tarot.

Oh, and there's one character in the movie "Krull the conquerer" who uses a round set of Tarot cards...small deck though, probably only the major arcana.

Grizabella

I've just started reading Winter of Our Discontent by Steinbeck and one of the characters in the book reads the cards.

jackdaw*

Yes, "The Winter of our Discontent" is a great book! Others with Tarot in it ...

"Where is Joe Merchant?" by Jimmy Buffett
"Chocolat" by Joann Harris(?)
"The Drifters" by James Michener

"Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco mentions them in passing, but does mention Crowley a fair bit.

Grizabella

In Winter of Our Discontent, tarot actually plays a fairly big part so far. And the book describes the cards that were drawn to some degree, the Celtic Cross is used as a spread, and from the description of the cards and the box, it sounds to me like maybe a French IJJ Swiss deck is used, but I'm not sure. The tarot readings seem to be a significant part of at least the beginning of the plot of the book. I'm just starting the book, so I have to read further to see if it weaves all through the plot.