The Devil, in a relationship spread

Red Emma

The devil

Allibee, I hesitated before writing the following. As a bit of a background, I had a pretty destructive father and have been in therapy a whole lot in my life.

One of my biggest problems was being immature. I learned that when a child has more emotional pressure than they can handle, their emotional growth stops. They continue to grow physically, but emotionally they get stuck at the age they encountered the heavy pressure. In my case, I was stuck at being 12 years old. I was lucky to find a therapist who could take me back to the "stuck" point, set me loose then help me to emotionally mature. I'll be forever grateful to her.

I hope your son finds his way.

Goddess Bless,

Red Emma

january

Hi All -

I agree with most of your views on The Devil and the only thing I can add is that The Devil can represent obsession and posessiveness. In relationships, for example, a boy/girlfriend who stalks you and wants to know where you are at all times.... as if they chained themselves to you. Much like my relationship with my (thankfully) ex-husband. He'd call everyone we know if I went grocery shopping for more than an hour. He'd insist that I look absolutely perfect when we'd visit his parents. He'd listen on the other line to my phone conversations. Yup, that's a "Devil" situation to me... and it took the Tower to get me out! (seriously!!)

In other spreads, The Devil can indicate being so obsessed with a goal that other areas of your life suffer for it. It is, afterall, the card for Capricorns.... we who tend to climb up and up, single-mindedly until we reach our apex ;). The downside of course is that your personal life and health may suffer. Its sort of like losing the balance you had in Temperance and then you allowed your life to give way to one all-consuming venture.

After reading this thread as well as the one on The Tower, I'm realizing how life is so cyclical and that the Majors correspond beatifully with that pattern.

allibee

Thank you Red Emma, that's helpful to know.

I'm glad you didn't hesitate too much.

Thanks again

allibee

divinerguy

Get out a Rider-Waite deck and look at the Devil card. Then compare it to the Lovers card.

Look at the similarities and differences. If there is any analogue in Tarot, its these two cards. Simply put, the Devil is the antithesis of the Lovers.

If you drew the Devil in this context, I'd think that the expected outcome is not at all positive. However, life has a way of proving you wrong when you least expect it.

Bottom line -- I wouldn't sit by the phone, waiting for it to ring.

juice

Devil's challenge mode on.

I can't help wondering If the other cards in the spread had been positive...

If the reader had not agreed that it looked bad...

What positive aspects could ya'll find? Many say that all cards can be positive and negative. The only hint at positive I saw was kinky sex if you like that sort of thing.

paradoxx

card 13

In the Shapeshifter tarot the 13th major arcania is Choice, in teh Celtic Dragon Taort it is Chains. These variations of the devil card are used to signify teh concious decisions that we must overcome and let our subconcious decide what is best. if we are subdued by seduction or fear, then we have already lost, ina relationship spreat it is a signifier to make a choice (subconcious or not) and go with it, indecision is also a choice but not always the best.

AliceinDeathland

I did a relationship problem sloving spread for me and this guy that I like and I got the Devil card for: This is how you can resolve any differences and how you can improve the relationship and take it to the next level. Can anyone tell me what it means cuz doesnt the Devil card upright mean like obsession and lust and what not cuz if that is the case then how would that help to resolve and improve the relationship.

Crystelle

Be careful, there is a fair amount of health in being slightly "obsessed" with someone you are with; perhaps it is warning against the blocking of all physical desires, that can be detrimental too! As an improvement card I would say that it errr hints perhaps that one of you is not being quite as... passionate? as the other needs. Not prying and you don't have to respond but that's what I think.

Al Si'ra

Umm could it also point to "obsession"..I mean maybe the card is advising or warning you to not to get too obsessed with the relationship..to give some freedom both to yourself and to the other party..

And if you are or the relationship is already independent in nature;maybe it's advising you to strengthen the bonds-secure it a bit more..and as the card suggestes it can be through some practical action-which is substantial-material..

And It maybe advises you to "dare"..and not restrict yourself..

Just some ideas..

Good Luck :)

Sophie

Hehe - I would say it means you need to lose your taboos and get down to the biz with this guy. Be physical and forget about over-analysing the relationship. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our minds, obsessing how this person sees us, how to improve this or that, what to say, what not to say, blah blah blah, that we forget about good old-fashioned lust, which in most healthy relationships is an important part of love. The obsession you might be stuck with could simply be - thinking too much!