Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

annabel398

So, could someone kindly clarify what we mean when we say "title added by artist"? It got my wheels turning...Do we mean that the artist incorporates the title in their artwork, themselves? Or simply that the artist CHOOSES the title/name which would then be added uniformly in post-production?

Thank you again!

My thought was that "adding titles afterwards" means there is some space set aside (at the top or the bottom of the card) for titles to be added afterward. The alternative is that each artist incorporates the name of the card in whatever way seems best to them.

My own feeling is that a standard place for the card title and a standardized font and naming convention for the cards will unify what is certain to be an otherwise very eclectic deck.

In fact, we could combine the two ideas, by saying "there will be a title added down here at the bottom X inch of the deck" but also letting artists incorporate their own title into their artwork if they wish. So, if you looked at TB's 10 of thimbles, he has a Roman X in the middle of the card--but that card would (if we so decide) still have "10 of Cups" (are thimbles cups??) at the bottom.

<erases truly lame attempt at ASCII art...>

annabel398

{{ DIGITAL PEEPS, TAKE NOTICE - ANALOG PEEPS, PLEASE IGNORE }}

Imo it would be good idea to have card image on one layer and card name/number/borders etc on other?:)))

I suggest GIMP http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Among all programs i try that one is most simple free and easy to run on old comp?:)))

I'm a long-time Photoshop user myself, but I know people who swear by Gimp (and a few who swear AT Gimp...) I should let people know--if you've always wanted Photoshop but couldn't afford it, Adobe is now giving away an older version for free (yes FREE) on their website: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html Be sure to write down the activation code--it's on that same page. All you need to download it is a (free) Adobe sign-up.

As for img format imo while working on design is best to save it as bmp or Gimp/xcf!^^
And ONLY WHEN YOU DECIDE ITS FINISHED DESIGN SAVE AS jpeg or png!
because it lose quality every time you edit it and save again!!!

Mmm, this is mostly, but not completely, accurate.

Absolutely correct: if you are using any kind of digital photo editing or vector program that offers layers, it is best to save in that program's native format (PSD for Photoshop, XCF for Gimp, AI for Illustrator, etc.) until you're done. Preserve your layers!

However... I would NOT recommend using BMP format ever, as some programs will convert BMPs to 8-bits (only 256 colors) without telling you first. BMPs also don't support layers.

Reall is definitely right about JPGs, though--every time you save a JPG, if you've changed even one pixel, it will re-compress the entire file. Since JPG is a lossy format, each "save" causes the image to deteriorate a bit more. It's rather like making a xerox of a xerox of a xerox... which is why I recommend PNG as the best format to save your final, finished work. The PNG file format compresses in the same way as a ZIP file--but it is not lossy, meaning that every pixel will be preserved as you painted it.

(Why are JPGs so popular, if they're not as good as PNGs? Because in the infancy of the web, JPG was a supported file format but PNG was not. Those days are long gone, and you'll find most web designers using PNGs for their raster graphics--they have the optimum combo of color fidelity and small file size.)

Sorry, probably more than anyone wanted to know about file formats...!

tarotbear

So, if you looked at TB's 10 of Thimbles, he has a Roman X in the middle of the card--but that card would (if we so decide) still have "10 of Cups" (are thimbles cups??) at the bottom.

Oh - {LOL} that sample card is 'sort of' TdM inspired! {The non-existent 'Sew-N-Sew Tarot!} If we were to decide I would leave the "X" out and leave a space at the top for a '10' to be added post-production. :laugh:

annabel398

I noticed the Marseilles feel =) Has anyone claimed the 2 of Pents yet? That's traditionally the TdM card with the ribbon flaunting the artist's or publisher's name.

Marirowana

I'd be willing to be one of the 6 as well if you need.
Great, Starlightexp and Reall welcome to the team! Thanks!

A poll is a great idea, I know how to set up a poll but I'm not technical enough to make the list with options about the sizes, if we get those people can get started. If someone would post a list in the thread Gulliver can make it into a poll in the first post :) annabel398 or reall?

What about the two different printers?

And yes, one Happy Squirrel would be nice :cool2:

lighthousekeeper

Hey sorry I haven't read through this whole post but if you need any more creators I'd love to help !

Marirowana

Hey sorry I haven't read through this whole post but if you need any more creators I'd love to help !

Great, thanks, we do! In the firsf post of this thread you can find the link tho the thread where you can pick a card.

daphne

In fact, we could combine the two ideas, by saying "there will be a title added down here at the bottom X inch of the deck" but also letting artists incorporate their own title into their artwork if they wish. So, if you looked at TB's 10 of thimbles, he has a Roman X in the middle of the card--but that card would (if we so decide) still have "10 of Cups" (are thimbles cups??) at the bottom.

<erases truly lame attempt at ASCII art...>

Yes, my thoughts exactly. It can be both, important is to preserve some unity with titles & borders around the deck.

daphne

{{ DIGITAL PEEPS, TAKE NOTICE - ANALOG PEEPS, PLEASE IGNORE }}

I'm a long-time Photoshop user myself, but I know people who swear by Gimp (and a few who swear AT Gimp...) I should let people know--if you've always wanted Photoshop but couldn't afford it, Adobe is now giving away an older version for free (yes FREE) on their website: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html Be sure to write down the activation code--it's on that same page. All you need to download it is a (free) Adobe sign-up.

Mmm, this is mostly, but not completely, accurate.

Absolutely correct: if you are using any kind of digital photo editing or vector program that offers layers, it is best to save in that program's native format (PSD for Photoshop, XCF for Gimp, AI for Illustrator, etc.) until you're done. Preserve your layers!

However... I would NOT recommend using BMP format ever, as some programs will convert BMPs to 8-bits (only 256 colors) without telling you first. BMPs also don't support layers.

Reall is definitely right about JPGs, though--every time you save a JPG, if you've changed even one pixel, it will re-compress the entire file. Since JPG is a lossy format, each "save" causes the image to deteriorate a bit more. It's rather like making a xerox of a xerox of a xerox... which is why I recommend PNG as the best format to save your final, finished work. The PNG file format compresses in the same way as a ZIP file--but it is not lossy, meaning that every pixel will be preserved as you painted it.

(Why are JPGs so popular, if they're not as good as PNGs? Because in the infancy of the web, JPG was a supported file format but PNG was not. Those days are long gone, and you'll find most web designers using PNGs for their raster graphics--they have the optimum combo of color fidelity and small file size.)

Sorry, probably more than anyone wanted to know about file formats...!

Very useful information, thank you! I never new the difference between image files.
I have a question about this. If there is no scanner available, could a photo of the painting be enough?

reall

@Annabel398 Thanks for all info!^^ now I finally know its *safe* to save img in png!^^
And if I manage to run this program on my pc you will be credited for my artistic progress!^^ ;))) lolz

Btw you are right!:))) I was referring to BMP as example for paint users!^^ ;)))

@Marirowan facepalm!!! I mean salute on duty!^^ ;))) lolz

About voting
We need vote pools for
a) card size tarot/other
b) printed deck/ digital/both!^^ ;))))

c) borders yes/no if yes suggestion please!:)))
my suggestion
blending borders(ill add img to see what im talking about!^^ ;))))
different borders colors for majors and minors
majors black, cups blue, air white, wands red or green, coins yellow?;))))

d) numbered mayors yes/no if yes roman or other
e) numbered minors yes/no

f) card titles on mayors yes/no
g) card titles on mayors yes/no

h) recommend suit names!^^

ill add more if I remember something!:))))

and just to check some *technical* details;
Recommended card template is 900x1500 pixels with 300dpp (dots/pixels per inch)?
And safe aria for card image is 750x1350 pixels? ;)))
Is it ok if I upload png templates for both so it can be download and start painting?:))))

And about borders I think best to make it blend in image i.e
Cups/water blue but don't had to be same shade on each card?:))))

And I was thinking about instead naming suits for minors we could make it universal simobols? something like lo scarabeo? Adding it after on lower part of card
i.e. coins O (yellow circle)
cups could be U (something like cups)
wands I
swords f (something like I with cross line?:))))

and if we decide to add numbers i suggest standard and then it will be something like
I 8
And for mayors if we decided for numbering it could be Romans?:)))
And for strength justice VIII/XI and XI/VIII

idk this are just examples!
I will upload some img later to see my idea!:)))

@ daphne everything will be ok!^^ just keep proportions and make larger img and we (*technical stuff* lolz ;)))) will make it fit!^^ ;)))