New approach to the 2 of Swords

Belladonna

Thank you, Thirteen, and everybody who replied to this thread. I'm constantly reminded of how fortunate I am to be surrounded by such geniuses! Ooooh, has anyone seen the moon coming up all fat and gorgeous?

Statickitten

I was just studying this card. To me this card means that the woman is weighing two options. No matter what she chooses someone is going to get hurt or offended. She is wearing the blindfold because she doesn't want to see the consequences of her actions. So she would rather choose blindly.

cerulean_lotus

My thoughts exactly

I was reading through this thread on the 2 of Swords, and something that Belladona said struck me--she said that with this card, "I'm starting to think this card is a little bit about learning that there are consequences to your beliefs, decisions, opinions. That simply through the process of focusing, distinguising, determining you are CHOOSING". (Sorry I am new and not too savvy on how to quote someone correctly).
I happened to pull this card in a simple three card spread on a work-relationship reading with someone I was curious about, and also saw it almost fall out when shuffling a daily three card spread reading. This card is speaking to me at this phase in my life right now. In less than 5 months I am separating from the military and will be pursuing my dream of attending a very reputable university and going for an Asian Languages degree. I am coming out of a lucrative career field-one that deals with network security--yet I have chosen not to get certified or pursue a full-time job in that field when I get out--because I want to focus on my education full-time. It was and still is a very tough decision to make- because I hear those voices around me telling me that it is a stupid thing to do. Yet I am following my heart-- or trying to, and ignoring what others are telling me--even though I have always been the eldest in my family--the good girl and the good staff sergeant who did everything everyone expected of her.
Likely, I will be not too well-off, or stable in my income while pursuing my dream- but I am realizing that this is a necessary tradeoff for the goal I am pursuing. It is a heavy yoke to bear at this moment in my life, because I do enjoy the finer things--and am worried about finances, but I am choosing to be adamant, and not let myself and my emotions get too deeply involved with the security and goings-on at my military job, because likely they will make me sway and fall into depression and feel negative about my pathway--which will throw me into doubt-where I don't want to be right now.
About the work-relationship reading--for those who are curious about that particular spread, it was about a person who works in the same organization I do. We went on a trip to visit another base with 4 other people on our team, and while we were there, my intution was telling me that he was attracted to me--even though I hardly knew him. I couldn't really put my finger on what was going on, and kind of told myself that I was just imagining things. When I threw the spread- which was 3 cards, I got the Lovers as the immediate past of the relationship, and the current stance of the relationship as the 2 of Swords, the future came up as the 7 of Cups. That basically told me that there was a strong mutual attraction (unbeknownst to me) and that it had the possibility of really hurting my current relationship (I am taken--and, sure I have been attracted to others before, but I've never acted on it)--but this spread told me to watch out with my thoughts and actions with this particular gentleman, because it could easily get out of hand. Well how'd I do--what do you all think? All opinions welcome.

mythos

Yep .... the 2 of Swords often reminds me of that saying that there is always a choice ... but sometimes it is between two things we loathe (or love) equally. The figure reminds me of a possum that got caught in my house a couple of years ago. He climbed up a branch which I had collected, with the intention of making it into a staff. He hung on for grim death ... deadly still, almost challenging me to tell him that it wasn't a tree, but not daring ... playing possum, hoping that I would go away and leave him to make up his mind how to get out of the situation he'd found himself in.

He was stuck like the two figure, and needed space to figure out whether to stay where he was, or move, but was blind to possibilities that I, as an outsider, could offer him assistance because he feared me - the sea behind. What is the 'right' move? Justice link!

mythos:)

Ace

Recently I saw 2 of Swords as defensive, I know what I know, don't try to change my mind.
Ace

Willa

the two of swords is a battle between head and heart.
One is faced with a decision and isn't sure what to do. Most likely one does know what to do, but is afraid. The blindfold must be removed so as to look squarely at the situation. Pretending it isn't there won't make it go away

mythos

Willa said:
the two of swords is a battle between head and heart.
One is faced with a decision and isn't sure what to do. Most likely one does know what to do, but is afraid. The blindfold must be removed so as to look squarely at the situation. Pretending it isn't there won't make it go away

I do like this interpretation ... it feels just right for me. Thanks Willa,
mythos:)

knavescurvy

I see 2's as a decision or even seeking affirmation on the ace or the Idea.
Yes that new Idea has promise but how does it compere to what I already have. Of course spending to much time on the 2 of swords is very dangerous you end up 2nd guessing your second guesses and end up with a lot of worry and nothing to show for it Sometimes you need to just grit your teath and make a decision (even if it is the "wrong one") so that you can move on and plan out how to implement your idea.

tink27

Belladonna said:
Is there hesitation in this card as the woman weighs the new with the old and tries to come to a decision between the two?

How much denial is implied? Is she trying to ignore that the two ideas are mutually exclusive? Or are they? At what price is she balancing these two situations.

How much compromise is there? How much stress or tension?

On the other hand, how much is she simply trying to remain objective while in the midst of two opposing forces?

And how much of it is making lemonade when life hands you lemons? Working with what you've got. Transforming one situation into another.

I see the two of swords as one who 'seeks' to be the peacemaker. They are open to new ideas but will not always accept what others tell them without proof.

I see the mind here as fair and balanced, and this person probably does not like any form of injustice.

I've also gotten this card when the seeker is holding in a secret, something they don't wish to convey at this time. It made the reading difficult because I had to by-pass this restricted area.

I've also seen it as 'hiding some irritation - mentally, keeping it under wraps'.

tink

tink

Canopicdoll

Hi I would like to chip in my 2 cents here. Can the 2 of swords also mean that you already know what to do, but chose not to do it?

Its not a case of choosing here. Rather you already know what you want but doing the opposite, or not do it at all. There's still some inner struggle involved How's that sound?

Example A. Someone is ill and knows surgery would be the only way for him. However he chose to continue on medication hoping it might heal even though deep inside he know the chances are slim.

Example B. Someone chooses to cheat on his wife even though he feels its wrong.

Example C: X loves Y deeply but Y has to go somewhere far and might not return. X longs to have Y by his side but let's Y leave.

Note that there's no absolute right or wrong here.