Two of Cups - Feelings vs. Seeing a Person

exmuse

So, how do you distinguish in meaning between how a person feels about someone after pulling the TWO OF CUPS versus how the person sees the other?

I cannot seem to see the difference. For example: Here's an interpretation: The person FEELS love (or SEES the other as the object of love)? That sounds the same.

Or the person FEELS 'friendly' towards the other, there is a sense of commeraderie (or the other is SEEN as a friend). Again, that sounds like the same meaning.

Is there a difference between the two, do you think?

------------------
Edited: Sorry. It's the Two of Cups, not the 2 of Wands as I indicated earlier, mistakenly.

Aset

Do you mean cups or wands? You say one in the title and another in the body of your post. I'm assuming you mean cups based on your interpretations, so I'll go with that.

I'd say there's definitely a difference between feeling and seeing, and even with seeing a further difference between seeing someone physically vs. how they are "seen", like their personality. So, with that in mind, my interpretations:

Feelings - loving resonance, on the same wavelength, the feeling of souls overlapping (where does one begin and the other end?); quite simply, the love you feel when you are IN love. In this way, there is no "other" to be seen, the two are one.

Seeing physically - classically beautiful, symmetrical, probably feminine. Think a woman with doe eyes, long eye lashes, full lips, etc. Or a curvy, hourglass body. Basically what is attributed to an abundance of estrogen, or female fertility. This is just how I see the card when it comes up for someone's appearance, I'm sure others have different interpretations. Oh, and of course this is heavily dependent on what deck you use (in the case of this description I just gave, the Thoth 2oC. I'd interpret RW probably differently).

Seeing as a person - someone who is very charming and attractive, not necessarily physically. You don't have to love them, but you can see them as pleasurable to be around. "Venusian" comes to mind. Someone who graces their environment.

JadoreHauteCouture

yes, is it cups or wands?

i would pull more cards cuz 2 of cups is kinda tricky.. For me i would consider this as a connection between people... That they are understanding each other very well as if they knew each other for ages... which is good for both friendship and relationship... But to what level they take it its hard to say... i never do only one card but rely on surrounding cards... hope it helps...
I think this question is like what Death means... it could be anything... either ur intuition tells you or you will complete the puzzle from other cards...

exmuse

Yes. I meant the Two of Cups. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

Hlb9525

So, how do you distinguish in meaning between how a person feels about someone after pulling the Two of Wands versus how the person sees the other?

I cannot seem to see the difference. For example: Here's an interpretation: The person FEELS love (or SEES the other as the object of love)? That sounds the same.

Or the person FEELS 'friendly' towards the other, there is a sense of commeraderie (or the other is SEEN as a friend). Again, that sounds like the same meaning.

I'm still learning the different meanings for the various cards, so I'm going to let that alone for the moment.

I do want to comment on the "feels love for" vs. "sees as love-able" aspect of your question.

There is definately a HUGE difference. Anyone that has been in any relationship long enough for the "honeymoon" stage to end can tell you that "feeling love" for someone is very different from "seeing someone as love-able".

I will be the FIRST to tell anyone that my children are love-able little imps. Do I feel loving towards them all the time. Nope! But they are always love-able.
Sames goes for my hubby. He is always love-able, ie. worthy of being loved. Do I always feel loving towards him? Nope! There are days when I wish I could attach the laundry hamper to his person, that way maybe the dirty laundry would actually make it into the hamper, instead of on the floor in front of it!

On the friend side of things. I have people in my life, that I see as friends. Do I always feel friendly towards them. Not at all!

No one likes to admit that a true friend will point out the very worst of yourself to you. In those times, I do not feel friendly towards these people that I see as friends.

How I see them doesn't change. I still see them as friends, but at that moment, I don't feel friendly towards them.

Can you see the difference??

You don't have to feel love for a person, in order to see them as love-able.
I see my brothers-in-law as loveable, but don't feel love for them.

And you don't have to feel friendly towards a person, to see them as friends.
My best friend will ALWAYS be my best friend.. even when we argue and we aren't feeling friendly.

So back to the 2/cups, I personally interpret it as meaning "relationship potential", or "potential for love at first sight" or "sudden connection". I don't see the 2 as stricktly a romantic relationship. It could be a friendship that starts out of the blue, you just happen to meet someone that you "click" with. But it's a card of potential, the relationship could develop beyond it, but might not develop into anything at all.
Like the number of "love at first sight" relationships that fizzle after a month or so, because there was nothing but "feelings" to build on.

Of course, I'm still learning to interpret my cards, but that is how I tend to read the 2/cups.

HB

Grizabella

In the RWS and some other decks, there's a cadeusius (can never remember the spelling) which is the healing symbol doctors wear, and at times I'd read the card as meaning the making up of two people who have been fighting or who have bad feelings toward one another.

exmuse

In the RWS and some other decks, there's a cadeusius (can never remember the spelling) which is the healing symbol doctors wear, and at times I'd read the card as meaning the making up of two people who have been fighting or who have bad feelings toward one another.

Spot on, Grizzbella! I'm trying to clear up some unfinished business with someone... He's a doctor (!) who sees me as the Two of Cups. Wow! It's amazing what you can see in cards if you look closely. I use RWS and I've never noticed it before. Thanks so much!

And thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

Any other ideas?

Thirteen

The connection that could lead to more

The 2/Cups is not about seeing someone as "lovable" as you would see a puppy. Nor is it about seeing love in someone either. The 2/Cups is about an instant connection, emotional simpatico.

This doesn't have anything to do with what the person looks like--they may be beautiful or homely. Think of it this way--you walk into a party and don't know anyone. You pass by people and feel alienated, not part of the party. You stop at the drink area, turn and there is someone who you can tell feels exactly the same. And he/she looks at you and recognizes that you feel the same. Smiles are exchanged. Maybe you talk to each other, or maybe you just nod to each other knowingly, but this one person and you are on the same wavelength. There is an instant connection.

That is the 2/Cups. Emotional simpatico. What the 2/Cups doesn't say is whether this will develop into love or friendship or whether you'll go your separate ways, that one encounter being all there was to the meeting. 2/Cups is the connection that could lead to more.

hypnotizedeyes

The 2/Cups is not about seeing someone as "lovable" as you would see a puppy. Nor is it about seeing love in someone either. The 2/Cups is about an instant connection, emotional simpatico.

This doesn't have anything to do with what the person looks like--they may be beautiful or homely. Think of it this way--you walk into a party and don't know anyone. You pass by people and feel alienated, not part of the party. You stop at the drink area, turn and there is someone who you can tell feels exactly the same. And he/she looks at you and recognizes that you feel the same. Smiles are exchanged. Maybe you talk to each other, or maybe you just nod to each other knowingly, but this one person and you are on the same wavelength. There is an instant connection.

That is the 2/Cups. Emotional simpatico. What the 2/Cups doesn't say is whether this will develop into love or friendship or whether you'll go your separate ways, that one encounter being all there was to the meeting. 2/Cups is the connection that could lead to more.

I wasn't the one who started this thread… but I recently drew the two of cups as how someone is feeling towards me at the moment.. I was doubting his feelings and your interpretation has definitely made me feel a little bit more confident. However, I am new to tarot… and I would like to know if this relationship will lead to more. We have kind of been going through a rough patch and I know it isn't advisable to ask yes or no questions, so what do you recommend I ask? Thank you so much in advance :)

WalesWoman

So, how do you distinguish in meaning between how a person feels about someone after pulling the TWO OF CUPS versus how the person sees the other?

------------------
Edited: Sorry. It's the Two of Cups, not the 2 of Wands as I indicated earlier, mistakenly.

It is much easier to distinguish if you are asking specifics, other wise who knows what it means.
For instance:
How does the person feel about the other? Two Cups... that there is a connection between them that has potential, there is an affinity or some affection. It's all early stages. Reversed... their feelings are in opposition to whatever the other person is feeling and there is nothing drawing them together.

How does the person see the other? Two Cups... This one is trickier, because upright or reversed they see the other person's emotions seem to move between extremes, so there is some instability and easily unbalanced. They might see the other person as infatuated with them.

For the most part, it is not stable and easily upset, there is a magnetism, that can either repel or attract... it's more about infatuation than love, but it can be the beginnings of a relationship... it all depends on what is really going on.