Crystals/Gemstones for Aquariums

1Eleven

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience or advice for using gemstones either in or around a fish tank? I have a 55 gallon salt water tank that I inherited over a year ago. It's been great but wasn't really taken care of prior to coming home with me. I'd like to start adding more fish and well, it can get expensive if things go wrong, so I'd like all the positive vibes I can get! I had a break out of cyanobacteria in the past (aka red slime) and a bit of an algae problem but that has seemed to settle.

I was wondering if something like clear quartz and moss agate would be a good combination. I can either place them around the base of the tank or in a plastic container that would hang inside the tank. Any suggestions? This is all pretty new to me.

Thanks,
Jon

Briar Rose

I had a little betta fish in an aquarium that was doing fine with the rocks made for aquariums. When I added some crystals the fish died, I got another one, and the same thing happened. I think that if I try another betta again I'll just be using the rocks they sell for fish.

Kosjitov

Oy. I haven't had a saltwater tank, merely freshwater. They don't have a critter akin to a pleco/catfish to toss in the tank for salt? As an aside, did you clean out the gravel with a rinse and clean off the inside glass before you set it up? And did you introduce anything new (like stones, or toy structures?) without rinsing them too?

Back on to the proper topic: Think about the heat that you might have in the tank- it may discolour or otherwise corrode the stones you put in. I don't know if you're using a heater in the tank and I don't know the tolerances of certain minerals/stones. Maybe tie a small satchet in some cheesecloth and hang it on the outside of the tank? On a hook? I would maybe tuck a citrine nearby if you're looking for good vibes, or put it on the lid (if you have one) or above the light if you have one that sits over the tank.

Good luck :)

1Eleven

Thank you both for your reply.

I added 2 fish on Saturday and only one of them made it so far. Very frustrating since my water has tested perfect... these fish aren't cheap. Hopefully, the other fish makes it. She's beautiful and looking good so far. I haven't added any stones or anything, yet. Maybe I could set a few on top of my protein skimmer for "good luck"

Jon