Spread Stump....

SagiChar

So...I've looked over (I THINK) all the spreads, trying to find one applicable to doing a reading for my Mom. She likes being my guinea pig for readings, and I enjoy doing them for her, but the problem is...because I KNOW her (of course...she's my MOM!), it's hard to really do a good and decent reading for her...I really have a hard time.

I'm wondering is there a "general" spread out there for reading for parents? (I HAVE looked at the "Friends, Relatives & non-romantic Relationships" in the spread forum...but none fit!)

If not (and maybe this should be an entirely different topic...BUT), how does one come up with making their own spread? I understand how to do the questions (maybe), but, how do you come up with the positions? Do you just come up with different patterns, or do these patterns correlate somehow with the questions?

Any advice or direction would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

SagiChar

So...nobody has ANY suggestions??? :(

Sagefire

I try to find to focus on the reason for doing the reading in the first place and go from there, especially if I'm in the mood for a "themed" sort of spread. You know like a heart shape for love, or a cross for a decision, etc.

Reading for a parent is no different than reading for anyone else you know well. If it is just a general spread she is wanting you could start with three cards and if that is not enough build on those three cards. The possibilities are literally endless. Dunno if that helps at all... :D

SagiChar

Thanks Sagefire! That DID help! While I was waiting for a reply to my original post...I DID come up with my own spread (my first one ever)...after reviewing it...this is a spread I would use for my personal use regarding my mom...but, still am up in the air on a "general" spread for her. I DO want to try to use a general spread...just not sure which kind!!!

Since you seem to know more about spreads than I do...here's my personal spread for our (me and my mom's) issues...would you mind letting me know what you think??

I think I'm going to name it "Bridge over troubled waters" (it's layout is supposed to look sort of like a bridge...)

-------------------5----------------------------

----1-----------------------------------------2----

----------3------------------4------------

1 - Who (or what) is at fault in our relationship? (The blame!)
2 - What is our biggest problem? (The main issue)
3- How did this happen? (The root of the issue)
4 - How can this be fixed? (The solution)
5 - What will be our outcome? (The outcome)

Any thoughts??

Sagefire

My first thought is that the first two cards are remarkably similar in meaning, the word fault especially makes me twitch a little. I might change the positions up a bit...I think of a bridge and try to progress from one side to the other.
------3----
---2-----4--
1----------5--

1-The root cause of the problem, where it started
2-How I contributed to the problem
3-The current situation, where I am now
4-How I can help alleviate the problem
5-Eventual outcome/reality

Personally I think I suck at spreads, so it means a lot to hear you say I helped. Don't know if I ultimately changed much, but that is how I would tweak it. Good luck!! :D :heart:

SagiChar

Sagefire said:
the word fault especially makes me twitch a little

Yes...me too, and "blame" made me flinch...LOL...(I guess I'm a way too biased in this spread!)....so seeing, how you changed it up a bit...ah...I really like it! I actually laughed when you said that you feel that you suck with spreads...! I think you gave me a bit better perspective...it really IS how you word the questions...

Thanks a lot...I will try this! (I also have another spread on my plate to try...so I will be busy!)

I really appreciated you replying back, and giving your input...it really helped... :p
:thumbsup:

SagiChar

Well, I just did this spread, and I really think it gave me some clarity on things! I think there's been a deep seeded problem for a while, that I have not been able to face...and the cards pointed that out to me. I need to look within myself to find the answers...and even then, there will still be some emotional ups and downs, but, being true to myself is really the answer here.

So...thank you so much for this spread...it's a keeper!!

Again Sagefire,...I really appreciate your help!! :)

MandMaud

Just noticed and looked through this thread :) and I didn't spot anything the matter with your original version, but then I didn't take the time to try it out.

I like the bridge idea though. Perhaps as well as focusing what you have done / can do, also do the same spread with your mother in mind instead of yourself - maybe in the other direction (right to left, I mean).

As regards positions in general, once i've decided on position meanings, I suppose I often then think of the elements - Pents/Earth at the bottom, Swords/Air on the right, Cups/Water on the left, and Wands/Fire above. Quite often a question does resolve itself into these components. Or simply, the 'unexpected' or 'what the Universe has to say' feels to me like it should be up there as opposed to mundane aspects.

Sometimes a more concentric approach works, for example the immediate / close-to-home things nearer the middle and the more distant or less knowable things further out. Depends how many cards you're comfortable with, fewer than 5 or 6 and this doesn't really work.

Then of course past-to-future can be left-to-right, the way sentences normally travel (unless you read something like Arabic which goes the other way!). Also I tend to instinctively put the 'me' cards on the left and the 'them' cards on the right, not sure why. I often tweak spreads invented by others, too, if something like that doesn't quite feel like my way.

I think in metaphor naturally without trying, which helps, as I find that when I'm mulling something over I usually end up comparing it with, say, a windmill or river or seagull or flower... which then can be the basis for a pattern of cards.

My trouble is always what order to place them in! :D

SagiChar

Hey MandMaud! :D

Thanks for your input:
MandMaud said:
As regards positions in general, once i've decided on position meanings, I suppose I often then think of the elements - Pents/Earth at the bottom, Swords/Air on the right, Cups/Water on the left, and Wands/Fire above. Quite often a question does resolve itself into these components. Or simply, the 'unexpected' or 'what the Universe has to say' feels to me like it should be up there as opposed to mundane aspects.

Sometimes a more concentric approach works, for example the immediate / close-to-home things nearer the middle and the more distant or less knowable things further out. Depends how many cards you're comfortable with, fewer than 5 or 6 and this doesn't really work.

Then of course past-to-future can be left-to-right, the way sentences normally travel (unless you read something like Arabic which goes the other way!). Also I tend to instinctively put the 'me' cards on the left and the 'them' cards on the right, not sure why. I often tweak spreads invented by others, too, if something like that doesn't quite feel like my way.

I think in metaphor naturally without trying, which helps, as I find that when I'm mulling something over I usually end up comparing it with, say, a windmill or river or seagull or flower... which then can be the basis for a pattern of cards.

As I really had NO idea HOW to do a spread...I just kind of threw it together so to speak! Your mentality of the elements and close-to-home near the middle and the more distant or less knowable things further out is very insightful...I would've never thought of that! Thanks so much for this info...very helpful!!!

Your feedback really gives me a starting point to go from, because, like I said, I didn't know where to go!

Thanks MandMaud!!

MandMaud

...I just kind of threw it together so to speak!

I'm glad I gave you a starting point, but 'just threw it together' may be a better way, never know - your unconscious is more involved that way.

I happened to come up with another just before I went to bed last night, don't know if joining in here influenced that at all as I'd forgotten all about this conversation(!), I'm usually more creative anyway when tired. Anyway it is eleven cards, too many for me really, but the one tryout I've done this morning was easier to read than I expected because they sort of divide into smaller groups.

I don't know whether to try it out a few more times to see if that was a blip, or to put it up for the AT vultures {JOKE} to tear apart... and rearrange into something more useful...