Trouble with The Heirophant

LaPrimavera

I've been having a bit of trouble making sense of The Heirophant whenever it pops up into my readings. I typically see this card as a sign of spirtual guidance but it doesn't make alot of sense to me in some readings.

I'd like to know how everyone else sees this card and what your meaning behind it is

Teheuti

I think you might get a wider range of responses by asking this in the "Using Tarot Cards" section. Here you are more likely to get a response specific to the RWS deck's history and symbols.

I assume you are using a standard RWS deck, but it would also help if you gave a specific example of the kind of situation that is problematic for you and why. Afterall, an entire book can be written about each of the Majors. Indicate the question asked and the meaning of the position in which the Hierophant appeared. If the problem comes from a contrast with another card then it would help to give the details of that card too.

For instance, Waite says he's "the ruling power of external religion . . . the power of the keys, exoteric orthodox doctrine and the outer side of life which leads to the doctrine. . . . the *summa totius theologiae* when it has passed into the utmost rigidity of expression." He is also institutional Grace rather than Natural Grace. For Case, this card represents seeking guidance by listening intuitively to the voice of the Higher Self.

Combining the two perspectives we have a sense of listening to the moral voice of "Conscience" as it has been developed through our social-secular and spiritual teachers and guides (and being careful that this hasn't rigidified into a fixed dogma).

Mary

Starling

He also owns the buildings, the structures, and the codified "laws" of religion. He provides the space and the structure that the mystics of religion use when they teach.

Gov

Tradition, convention, society, acedemia, bureaucracy, orthodoxy, orthopraxy, the exoteric.

dadsnook2000

One side of the coin

The Heirophant is "religion" as being distinct from "spirituality." Many need a place where they and others of like-mind can meet, share and learn. Most take comfort from a familiar setting and familiar or ceremonial processes. These help many to focus on their learning and devotions. This card is all about that outer and structural process of moving towards the spiritual. But it always stop short of the spiritual, it can only take us on one of many paths to where we can make our own connections.

So, we can see this card as the outer trappings of a spiritual search, or of a learning process.
** As a PAST card; the querent has been involved in seeking answers through a group or with the aid of a teacher or role model.
** As a CURRENT card; the querent is considering or is undertaking steps to greater understanding in a field/area where personal growth is expected.
** As a FUTURE card; the querent needs to consider a more formal program of conducting a search for personal growth, or to consider linking up with a mentor that can help him.
** As a RESOURCE card; institutions and bureaucratic processes are available to the degree that they can help you.
** As a CHALLENGE card; you are/will-be mired down in a rigid process that may be holding you back, or a situation which is not being used to advantage.

Just some thoughts. Dave

Teheuti

Interestingly I've had this card come up several times when people had concerns about building inspections - that is, compliance with building codes. (Note that the card corresponds to Taurus, which I often see as a builder.) If you've ever seen a book of county building codes then you'd certainly call it the "big book," and the inspector is someone who has to 'interpret' them in terms of a specific situation, and guide the owner/builder in compliance with them. It's one of the "practical" (Earth/Taurus) applications of the card.

Mary

dadsnook2000

For Teheuti

It's interesting that I/we/some-of-us look at the cards with a "personal" view and you take a more "it's something in your life" view. That's why we continue our studies I would suppose. I don't think that I, for one, do enough readings face to face to have come yet to this broader appreciation of applying the tarot. Thanks for the reminder. Dave

Teheuti

Dave - you can just think of the Hierophant as someone who speaks or interprets the codifications of society (whether religious or secular). He or she helps you understand how to behave according to the rules. Thus, the Hierophant can be a teacher, counselor, therapist, mentor or spiritual leader. Or the card can refer to environments in which this happens. Often it indicates we are either teaching or learning how to understand and "fit in" with some system. In itself, it doesn't imply consequences as the Justice card does. The voice of the Hierophant often tells you what you "should" or "ought" to do, but not what will happen if you don't (other than damnation or excommunication).

LaPrimavera

Thank you all for your input. Forgive me for not responding sooner but my schedule has been hectic so the forums have been the last thing on my mind.

The main problem I face with this card is when it comes up in a reading about love and relationships. It typically comes up in a spot that describes either the querents or their mates feelings and it always confuses me.

Teheuti

LaPrimavera said:
The main problem I face with this card is when it comes up in a reading about love and relationships. It typically comes up in a spot that describes either the querents or their mates feelings and it always confuses me.
My first thought is that a person's feelings would be very conventional. Fives in Pythagorean numerology signified marriage and so Etteilla called this card Marriage. A person would want to 'do the right thing.' If you apply the Taurus correspondence then a person would be looking for long-lasting stability and value. These are not terribly emotional qualities.

There could be a sense of spirituality or sacredness involved. Awe is an emotion that is often linked to the Hierophant and sometimes compassion. Respect is possible or worshipfulness.

Some people experience an active dislike or even disgust when confronted with what they see as the dogma and rigidity of the Hierophant.

Do any of these make sense?