DRUIDCRAFT Study Group: Princess of Cups

TygrEyes

PRINCESS OF CUPS
Key Words: Sensitive * Tender * Imaginative

Our Princess of Cups is a serene looking young woman with hair gently blowing in the breeze. She is clothed in a soft red dress with a large brown wrap draped about her. This Princess looks to be meditating as she holds a cup, symbol of the heart and emotions, gently in front of her in the area of her heart. Maybe she’s dreaming of the perfect love.
It is Autumn and the day is ending. The active times of the year and the day are done and she’s free to begin the journey inward. Both the season and time of day are perfectly suited to introspection, creativity & the birthing of dreams.
She stands next to a calm body of water, but with her feet planted firmly on the ground. Since she is young this may be her first foray into a serious contemplation of her inner realms. I believe that is why her stance upon the earth looks so solid and her clothes are warm, nurturing earth colors; these things are her support as she encounters issues when entering young adulthood i.e. relationships with the opposite sex, changing relationships with parents/siblings. It’s an exhilarating & confusing time bringing forth a lot of emotions, introspection, and bursts of creative inspiration.

Sulis

Nice one TygrEyes,

I love your take on Autumn and the evening being great times to start the inward journey. I've made some rough notes about this Princess in my journal - I'll go and dig them out.

Love

Sulis xx

Majecot

She is definitely the gentler of the Princess'. She has an air of peace and serenity about her, She almost looks like she is making a wish in her chalice.

I can almost smell the crispness of the autumn air, with the of the water, still warm,flowing behind her.
What is that streaming across her, is it a beaded tie for her robe or some sort of jewlery?

As usual.. am posting from work, I had made a copy of the card to bring with me, but no time to really look at it today. And it is not the same as looking at the real thing.

Moonbow* where are you with that scan..[probably cooking some squash] ;)

Sulis

Hi Majecot,

Still not had time to dig out my journal and have a look but I remember writing some thoughts about that beaded cord. I thought it reminded me of some sort of prayer beads similar to a rosary - obviously since this is a pagan deck it's not a rosary but it could be some sort of meditation aid.

Sulis xx

Sulis

Dug out my tarot journal, here's what I've written - these are just random thoughts:

Princess of Cups - some thoughts on the card

A beautiful card - one of my favorites in the deck
Calm
Meditation
There's a face in the tree if you look closely - maybe some sort of nature spirit.
Birch tree - new beginnings - autumn now and dusk - magical time - good for getting in tune with intuition.
She's standing on a rock and her feet are bare so she's actually in contact with the Earth. Surrounded by deep water signifying the unconcious - earth and water = manifestation of new emotions / dreams / a new relationship.
Could also mean the manifestation of that which was in the unconcious - awakening of psychic, intuitive abilities.
She wears a crescent moon on her brow - above her 3rd eye chakra.
The Moon represents the feminine, passive, reflective, intuitive, psychic qualities - links her with the High Priestess (2).
Lots of stillness in this card yet her cloak seems to blow gently about her.
Beads on a string - almost like some sort of prayer beads / knot magic.
Small waterfall / cave / ? buriel mound in the background.

Love

Sulis xx

Moonbow

Sorry I'm late with the scan guys.....

Majecot

Hehe.. that's ok Moonbow* ;) I just like to tease.

Sulis, I thought they might be some sort of meditation or magic talisman also, but I cannot quite see where it is they are attatched.
I think it must be something more than just ornamental.

Moonbow

Well that serves me right for turning up late to a party doesn't it? Everything has been said, I just looked at my notes and don't really have much to add...

I saw the face in the tree too Sulis, it looks like an old man with whiskers.

The headband she wears with a moon on the front tells me that she is intuitive and and dreamy and she also wears a torc bracelet. I'm interested in the beaded thread coming from her dress too, it seems to have a feather on the end, is this something common with the Druids?

The artist is extremely good at painting skies and water, the water in this card has such clarity.

WolfSpirit

I agree Moonbow* they are all so quick, I should check out the study forum more often.

About the face in the tree: Will Worthington also made the Green Man Tree Oracle, in which every tree has a face. Trees are very important in druidry and recognized as giving life to many creatures (who house in them, feed off them) and have spiritual importance too.

The colours:
the colours of the leaves, and the hair and dress of the princess, are not the same but all different tones of the same colour. It brings harmony to the card, it also looks as if the princess and the tree belong together, it is probably her favourite spot for dreaming and contemplation. As nature spirits and tree spirits are a reality for druids I think we can even say the tree is a trusted friend of her.

This is one of my favourite cards, the colours are so beautiful and there is such peace and harmony in this card.

Majecot

WolfSpirit said:
I agree Moonbow* they are all so quick, I should check out the study forum more often.

About the face in the tree: Will Worthington also made the Green Man Tree Oracle, in which every tree has a face. Trees are very important in druidry and recognized as giving life to many creatures (who house in them, feed off them) and have spiritual importance too.

hehe.. I just happened to be here at the right time..(quite time at work)

Wolfspirit, that is very interesting about the trees. I have often felt like have seen faces in trees myself, but I have what my mother called an over active imagination ;) In any case, I have always felt as tho trees are living spirits.

I have been hearing a lot about the Green Man Tree lately.. will be worth looking into.