DRUIDCRAFT Study Group: Princess of Cups

Sulis

Majecot said:
I have often felt like have seen faces in trees myself, but I have what my mother called an over active imagination ;) .

I used to see faces in trees all the time as well. I also thought it was my overactive imagination. I think I may just have to start looking for those faces again :)

Love

Sulis xx

Keslynn

I'm here and have the deck! Yay! I was already looking at the scans but it's different to have the card nestled in your hand. Preciousssss.... ahem!

I did notice that she has very large feet. I was just thinking that the large feet reminded me of Michelangelo's later work when he started to become more Mannerist in style. The feet particularly remind me of the feet on the Sibyl on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel. Perhaps this is the artist's nod to her (and Michelangelo). Perhaps the artist is implying the oracular nature/abilities of the Princess of Cups by associating her with the Sibyl? Or I could be reading too much into it?

I love what others have already contributed.

:) Kes

WolfSpirit

About the feet

We talked about this before in the Druidcraft thread in Tarot Decks (on page # 18) and I would like to quote what Fulgour said:

The length of the foot, to be in proper proportion to the rest
of the body, is the length of the forearm measured from the
point of the wrist to the point of the elbow, as Venus di Milo.

So maybe the feet are not so large after all ! I have big feet myself anyway so I like to see people depicted with big (or normal ?) feet :)
I think on many paintings the feet are smaller than in real life because it looks prettier. And many women wear shoes with heels, which also make the feet look smaller.
I also like to think of the feet giving stability and connecting with the ground.

rabble

I don't have this deck, but I did get to look through it last Saturday at our Time out for Tarot coffee meeting :)

One of the first things I noticed about this princess was her feet! They are large, but in a chunky, connected to the earth sort of way, not a "takes a large shoe" way.

Has anyone read Sarum, by Edward Rutherfurd? It's been years since I read it, but quite early on one of the characters is describing physical features that contribute to the different families... the feet was on of the major differences, as I recall. This woman is from a family of masons. Even if she is a princess :)

TygrEyes

Sulis said:
Hi Majecot,

Still not had time to dig out my journal and have a look but I remember writing some thoughts about that beaded cord. I thought it reminded me of some sort of prayer beads similar to a rosary - obviously since this is a pagan deck it's not a rosary but it could be some sort of meditation aid.

Sulis xx

Not to pull Ogham out for everything, but at the site below they show the vowels expressed as dots. It's a little bit down in a white box. http://www.celticgrounds.com/chapters/ogham_translat.htm

I love the beaded cord - it's very delicate & pretty especially w/ the feather at the end. I think it's a good representation of who she is. I'll bet she made it herself. I had a "wrap" in my hair at one time & the lady who did it was telling me how important adornment is for personal expression. I had picked the colors of the thread & the beads to be included. I still have it even though I had to cut it out to start my career. I think she's telling us who she is through her adornment & I believe her. Some people will try to make you think they're something they're not through their personal adornment.

CreativeFire

I can't help noticing the 'movement' in the cards in this deck and again notice the direction of the soft breeze blowing to mover her cloak. The breeze seems to be blowing from over the water behind her and you can also see this from the gentle ripples in the water itself - I sort of see this as a connection to the water, even if not directly.

It was interesting to read everyones thoughts on the beaded cord floating across in front of her. When I first looked at it I thought it was like a tie for her cloak but it does not seem to be attached to her cloak but more to the high waistline of her empire style gown.

I also noticed that she is the only Princess that has her eyes closed, like she is focussing within and not to the things around her - connecting to the unconcscious and not the conscious, if that makes sense. :)

CreativeFire

cyan

i have a friend (i just showed her this deck and she loves it) who believes life is too short to drink cheap wine. when she lifts her glass and takes that first appreciative sniff she wears the same savoring expression as the princess of cups. it is pleasure taken seriously. a single glass of perfect wine is all you need at one setting, my friend advises. when you drink more you cheapen the experience and may wind up with a lampshade on your head and many regrets the next morning.
so when i look at this beautiful princess i wonder if she will drink her wine in tiny, delicious sips, or will she down the cup and call for more?

Laurelin

Some things I noticed about this card... I'm in complete agreement about the tree being an old friend. Her hair mimics the colors of the autumn leaves, and her cloak the wood itself. What's more, the shape of the 'feather' at the end of her chord mimics the shape of the leaves.

I have noticed, as well, that the leaves on the tree's face are different from the rest of the tree. The leaves belonging to the tree itself are individual leaves where the leaves for the face form in a pattern and are shaped differently. I will have to check that with my card at home in order to identify which sacred trees are being represented here. I also noticed that the tree's face is not autumnal at all, but appears to still bear summer foliage. I get the sense that Autumn is only just beginning and we're still a whole season away from winter.

A note about types of trees in this deck... never underestimate the importance of the trees. In the Druid Animal Oracle, the borders of the cards contain a hidden message in ogham. Rather than using the ogham symbols, Worthington used the leaves themselves to spell his message. I believe he's doing the same thing here with tree symbology.

I believe that her cord could be part of an adornment around the waist of her dress. With that in mind, it is probably hand spun and adorned. She doesn't seem too preoccupied with pointless material posessions. She wears her signs of office, the torc, her circlet, etc., but she has no adornment on the fabric of her dress or her cloak. While the Princess of Wands had detailed embroidered trim, a decorative breastplate on her dress, etc., this princess seems different. She is almost the opposite of our Wand Princess. She's anything but impulsive. Her cloak has been blown by the wind and is sliding very low off her left side (our right). She does not break concentration, she continues to ponder, meditate, appreciate, contemplate, etc. From the looks of her hair, the wind off the lake had created a swirl of air around her. She is unshaken and appears very comfortable.

Regarding her feet, it appears as though she is standing on a slope to me. Her toes are pointed somewhat downward and almost look as though they're gripping the earth rather than just resting on it. Autumn might be chill, but she is without shoes or stockings. Is it possible that she has made a conscious decision to forgo these items of comfort in favor of being nearer to the earth? I believe it is. I believe that she is knowledgeable in the skills of meditation and reflection. I get the sense that she's been here before, done this thing over and over again, and that her connection to the land, tree, and seasons is very real.

Everything about her makes me think of softness, gentleness, and wisdom. She is young, but she is not impulsive. She contains all the beauty and wonderment of youth without the recklessness. She knows she isn't invincible, but she appreciates that she is vibrant enough to be empassioned and make a difference. The danger with such an introspective soul is that she may have a greater tendency to ponder how she can make a difference than to take real action. When she matures, I think she'll make a wise and prudent queen who cares deeply about her tribe.

Cyan, I'll put in my vote for small delicious sips. ;)

--Laurelin

coyoteblack

she is almost looking away from the body of water and seems to be almost meditating on her cup.

I am thinking she is just learning to be one with her emotions instead of having them control her .

the face in the tree seems to be that the spirtual forces of nature are looking out for her( just a feeling no facts )

on the bad side she might tend to be depressed a lot and take a small thing and make it appeaer larger.

i like her dreay look like she knows thereis some thing on the other side and the world is not just what you see.

i also have the earge to hug the stuffing out of her

Arania

One of the first things I noticed with this card is how perfect she belnds in with her surroundings. And the way she does not move, even seems to stop breathing, one wouldn't notice her from a bit away. She's one with all.