The Happy Squirrel card

rota

And speaking of squirrels and divination, I happened to run across this quote in my reading. Just thought I'd pass this on, for whatever it's worth. Harold Bayley, in his book 'The Lost Language of Symbolism', vol. II, writes:
"The Scandinavians conceived the Tree of Life as Iggdrasil, the World-Ash, the Oracle and Judgment-Place of the Gods, the Dwelling of the Fates, and the Source and Spring of Knowledge. Up and down the trunk of this mighty Ash a squirrel is said to have perpetually run, a squirrel which, according to Rhine legend, was "animated by the Voice of God," and whispered tidings into the ear of Wotan of everything that transpired below.

Also, a little further on:
"...when the Squirrel is hunted she cannot be driven to the ground, unlesse extremitie or faintnesse cause her to do so through an unwilling compulsion, for such is the stately mind of this little beast that while her limbs and strength lasteth she tarrieth and saveth herself in the tops of tall trees, disdaining to come down for every harm or hurt which she feeleth; knowing, indeed, her greatest danger to rest below amongst the dogs and busie hunters. From whence may be gathered a perfect pattern for us, to be secured from all the wiles and hungrie chasings of the treacherous devil; namely, that we keep above in the loftie palaces of heavenlie meditations, for there is small securitie in things on earth; the greatest ought to be our fear of danger, when we leave to look and think of heaven."

There's some more stuff in there about squirrels cracking nuts to find kernels of truth...

Alissa

Oh isn't that a wonderful image, I love this rota! :D The Happy Squirrel scampering up and down and all around the World Tree, careless as can be, and full of himself to boot. What a show off.... look how easy he makes spiritual travel seem!!!

tmgrl2

OK, Umbrae. I'll bite. Why was the Happy Squirrel scarey???

terri

Alta

umbrae, I put the Happy Squirrel card back in the deck. :) Now, I just have remember what it means when it pops up in a reading.

Cerulean

What does the Happy Squirrel card really mean?

I've managed to pull a thread from Umbrae's erstwhile cloak and it inspired to toss all my website links and LWB animal divination bits and pieces into the would-chuck recycle pile....so armed only with my two beady eyes, synchronicity, a cell-phone call that urged me to the backyard and bare-footed tiptoes, I saw....

A very happy squirrel on my husband's upturned bicycle staring at my husband--my husband's waist-to-torso was covered in the walnut tree. He was standing on a ladder. I believe the squirrel from the nearby tree would have verily claimed the bicycle if my husband took any nuts hostage. The same clan of gray squirrels in this coolish autumn time have bombed me with parts of persimmons while I cut bits of overgrown ivy or boxwood hedges.

Divinatory Meaning: Squirreling away when the weather turns cold; squirrelly behavior if harvesting are interrupted; chitter-chattering to warn others in the native community of possible intrusion; an attitude of 'Nuts to YOU' with appropriate walnut shell bombing as needed.

Reversed: Squirrels never regret, nor reverse if in their right mind. Nuts to YOU.

With advanced apologies to all squirrel diviners,

Cerulean

tmgrl2

Thanks, Cerulean.

I still think of squirrels as cute, but a bit creepy and rat-like. Also, I still have that strong image of the time we captured one and ran like H....when we let it go.

terri

Umbrae

Re: What does the Happy Squirrel card really mean?

Cerulean said:
Divinatory Meaning: Squirreling away when the weather turns cold; squirrelly behavior if harvesting are interrupted; chitter-chattering to warn others in the native community of possible intrusion; an attitude of 'Nuts to YOU' with appropriate walnut shell bombing as needed.

Reversed: Squirrels never regret, nor reverse if in their right mind. Nuts to YOU.

Oh yesssss…

One more thing…corner a Happy Squirrel. reach out and and pick it up…it’s happy right?..and cute and cuddley…just pick it up…and…pet it…show it some of that love that fills your heart...

Maelin

I once saved a squirrel - honest to goodness, right in downtown Toronto, The fool thing was crossing Bay street during the morning rush hour and got "stunned " by a taxi. I watched, horrified, cringed as the taxi zoomed over it, and then opened my eyes to see it standing there, completely fine but too terrified to move while all the traffic was now waiting at a red light - doom impending - as they waited for the light to turn - I rushed to the middle of the street, and amidst honking, laughing and swearing of cab drivers, actually herded the thing, while half crouching,( me not it)across the street. It walked ahead of me - very rat like, no scampering - everything was fine, and as we got to the curb, the cute and cuddly, white tummied North American common grey squirrel turned around, bit me right through my brand new leather gloves and ran up a tree.

My first week at a new job, and I had to explain to my new boss - who never stopped laughing at me after that, that I had to take the morning off to go to the Emergency Room and have a tetenus shot! I still have the scar

Don't tell me it's not the scariest card in the deck!!!

tmgrl2

Re: Re: What does the Happy Squirrel card really mean?

Umbrae said:
Oh yesssss…

One more thing…corner a Happy Squirrel. reach out and and pick it up…it’s happy right?..and cute and cuddley…just pick it up…and…pet it…show it some of that love that fills your heart...

NO...NO!!! It will bite and attack....It's only happy UNTIL we capture it and try to domesticate it.

t

tmgrl2

Please check out this link about helping an orphaned baby squirrel and after you get through the cute stuff, read the BOTTOM about squirrels being "vicious" adults:

http://www.squirreltales.org/

It's a scarey card! It's wolf in Squirrel's clothing.

terri