To review or not to review . . .

Grizabella

I just read back and you said "a new deck" so if we've gotten a new deck, then I think just having it as a "new" one, I wouldn't necessarily think a review of it before we've worked with it for awhile would be as relevant as doing a review of the deck after we've worked with it.

Besides, as someone else mentioned, opinions are just opinions and what one person thinks is beautiful and positive isn't what everyone would feel about it.

There are lots and lots and lots of threads here in the Tarot Decks sub-forum that give opinions/reviews about every deck that's ever been born. That's where I usually go if I want to find out how others like it. I almost never read the reviews in the Tarot Decks area through the link in the top right corner of this page. The reason I go there is to see scans of the cards mostly.

ana luisa

The other reason I might post a review is if it something I find (as objectively as possible) to be overrated. Expressing the rare, dissenting opinion can be of value, and I always appreciate it among a sea of unqualified praise.

I agree 100%. NOTHING beats a well substantiated critique !

ana luisa

Opinions are just that... opinions. Social media wouldn't exist if nobody wanted to know anyone else's opinion about things. :)

With that said, this must be the funniest tarot review ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfG0p412cdI

Enjoy! :joke:

That's from one of our members, akirafist ! :) Miss him around here ! He's the real deal for readings too (check his reading samples on youtube).

nord_drache

I just read back and you said "a new deck" so if we've gotten a new deck, then I think just having it as a "new" one, I wouldn't necessarily think a review of it before we've worked with it for awhile would be as relevant as doing a review of the deck after we've worked with it.

Besides, as someone else mentioned, opinions are just opinions and what one person thinks is beautiful and positive isn't what everyone would feel about it..

Personally I think a review of a new deck is very pertinent, if we give our opinion after its been worked with and that's the basis of our opinion doesn't that run contrary to the fact that a deck may not perform the same for 2 different readers.
I think that there are many areas that we can give a more objective opinion that would be helpful to others.
How heavy the card stock can be critical - if we see that it is heavier than the normal then those who don't like how those types of cards shuffle won't end up buying it and then either putting it away or getting rid of it. Like wise if the stock feels too light weight.
If a reader is known to be well versed in a style of deck -say dark decks - and they can say that the artwork seems a little too flat, details are not very visible or even seeming not "dark" enough, its at least a warning to a potential buyer.
Objective opinions of the quality of a book that accompanies a deck can be given - explanations are wordy or awkward, the book is printed on paper that may lack in durability, or maybe even its binding seems flimsy.

There are lots and lots and lots of threads here in the Tarot Decks sub-forum that give opinions/reviews about every deck that's ever been born. That's where I usually go if I want to find out how others like it. I almost never read the reviews in the Tarot Decks area through the link in the top right corner of this page. The reason I go there is to see scans of the cards mostly.

This is where I too would go to see opinions of a deck - case in point opinions of the Tarot Illuminati are what helped me decide to get it - I was certain I would be getting a well produced deck whose images were as vivid as shown. I agree that I don't pay as much attention to the reviews in the tarot decks area either, and I tend to take opinions supplied by sellers / publishers with a grain of salt.

Just some thoughts and my opinions . . .
Jim

Grizabella

I can see your point as far as giving our first impressions of a deck in a review. That's pertinent and has its positive sides, too. I was thinking of some of the decks I've gotten brand new and then thought "Meh! What's the big deal?" and then, after using the deck a little while, I discover that it's actually an awesome reading deck even though my reaction was kind of "ho-hum" when I first got it.

I have both versions of the Illuminati. I love the one in the kit version, but it's too thick to shuffle for me. The mass market version is much better for me to shuffle and handle but some of the images are a little bit murky-seeming with the black borders. I love the deck in both versions and got the mass market one because I can handle it more easily and use it regularly in my paid readings.

I guess what I meant by saying I'd rather see a review done after some acquaintance with actually using the deck was that, since I work with the cards professionally, I'm more interested in seeing a review that can address some points of that aspect of the cards along with the first impressions of the art work.

opalbutterfly

I really like video reviews, including unboxing videos, and written reviews. I have particular favourites and only really listen to those. It's not so much living through them, I just enjoy listening to people talking about a subject I enjoy and they are passionate and knowledgable about. I find it fascinating to hear different opinions and there are many decks I'd never buy but I find the intepretation of the artwork by another person interesting to hear. In that way, it's a bit similar to hearing another person discuss a piece of art (or series of pieces) that I'd never buy or hang on my wall, but that is still something I find engaging to listen to.

Morwenna

I guess it's the same reason we lovers of literature also love to read criticism and commentary. It's a way of comparing notes on works. (Of course now the internet has made it so much easier--and time-consuming!) I read opinions in threads and also the reviews in the Cards section. Sometimes I agree, sometimes not; and always I get an education!