Question about selling reading services

Uchuuko

I wanted to start selling tarot readings on another website, but I was wondering if it would be acceptable to post the name of and use the deck that I will be using for the readings? When I mean acceptable, I mean legal.

Grizabella

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean you're setting up a website where you'll be using this one particular deck and you're not sure if you should name the deck?

Or are you just starting a blog and wonder if you can mention the deck you'll be using?

You should always give credit to the creator of any deck you're using if you're posting photos of the deck or of spreads using the deck. What I've done is to contact the creator of the deck to get permission. Most of the current deck creators have websites with contact information.

Sulis

I can't see why naming a deck wouldn't be legal, it's like naming a book..
It would probably be against copyright laws if you started posting images of the complete deck without permission but naming a deck isn't illegal anywhere as far as I know.

gregory

I'm sure you can name the deck. I am fairly sure that you can't post images of your spreads without permission though - Lo Scarabeo, for instance, allow all their decks to be used with proper credit - EXCEPT where they are being used commercially for profit - and they are the most generous I know that way.

Uchuuko

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean you're setting up a website where you'll be using this one particular deck and you're not sure if you should name the deck?

Or are you just starting a blog and wonder if you can mention the deck you'll be using?

You should always give credit to the creator of any deck you're using if you're posting photos of the deck or of spreads using the deck. What I've done is to contact the creator of the deck to get permission. Most of the current deck creators have websites with contact information.
I was talking about mentioning the name of the deck that I will be using. I am actually selling my tarot readings as a service on a different website (which isn't my website). Thank you, and I have sent an email to the deck publisher (Lo Scarabeo, I believe) if I could post a video demonstration on my shuffling my deck.

Uchuuko

I can't see why naming a deck wouldn't be legal, it's like naming a book..
It would probably be against copyright laws if you started posting images of the complete deck without permission but naming a deck isn't illegal anywhere as far as I know.
Oh okay. I did mean mentioning the deck I was using in my readings though. I wanted to use my deck in a video showing how I usually shuffle my deck for readings.

Uchuuko

Oh

I'm sure you can name the deck. I am fairly sure that you can't post images of your spreads without permission though - Lo Scarabeo, for instance, allow all their decks to be used with proper credit - EXCEPT where they are being used commercially for profit - and they are the most generous I know that way.
Oh okay (I did mean mentioning the name of the deck I am using). In fact, the deck that I am using was published by Lo Scarabeo, and I emailed them later yesterday and I hope to get a response from them. I wanted to do a demonstration on how I shuffle my deck for my tarot readings, but the thing is that I was was doing so in attempt to hopefully get people interested in my tarot readings, which I am doing for money. So I guess I wouldn't be able to upload the video?

Grizabella

I went further and specifically asked Ric about what's meant about using them on a "for profit" website because I'm selling readings and things from my blog. He said that was fine to use the decks that way, as long as not all the images of one deck is used, and that we can't make an item using their images and sell that. Like, we can't make t-shirts or coffee cups (or other things) using an image on them of any of their decks, but it's okay to use a few of the images on the blog when doing a reading or discussing a deck.

gregory

Oh okay. I did mean mentioning the deck I was using in my readings though. I wanted to use my deck in a video showing how I usually shuffle my deck for readings.
I think you'd be OK with that actually, as you can't make a profit from rapidly moving cards, kinda ! The BIG issue is people using web pages to print pirate decks.

AnemoneRosie

Have you ever seen the weekly readings that Kate over at DailyTarotGirl.com does? She shuffles, draws cards, and reads them. She names them. I can't imagine that you'd be doing anything much different from her videos (maybe without the reading being the central focus) and she not only doesn't seem to get sued, but people send her decks to promote. I've bought more than one deck that she's shown on her website; the publishers know that it requires a certain amount of publicity to generate sales.