Can you help me formulate a question, please?

D Sparkles

I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong forum.

I won't post my reading in here, but I'm hoping someone can help me come up with a question that will help me get the answer I need.

Basically, I am in another country on a work visa. I am applying for jobs, and so far, I have been calling recruiters to explain my visa situation and asking if they'd even consider an application from a work visa holder. This is so I don't waste time and effort applying. I've been doing that so that I don't spend hours and hours on completing job applications when they won't lead to anything because of my immigration status. Someone has told me I should just apply and not recruiters I am on a visa until later on in the application process. I am taking the approach that I'm taking because of what happened to me in another country. I ended up completely exhausted from job hunting, and I didn't get a job in the end - all because I was on a work visa and they wanted someone permanent.

I'd like to ask my cards about my approach, but I'm having trouble coming up with a question.

Can anyone suggest something, please?

re-pete-a

It feels like a loyalty letdown in your belief system...to gain a job that you know won't be permanent...You don't wish to be a disappointment to your boss.

Nothing wrong with that feeling...but it's misplaced...for what you want to achieve.

May I suggest that you re focus on gaining a CASUAL job that will help you and your employer out. With the end result of both of you feeling happy and satisfied .

I would ,if I may, suggest that you get this belief system into your system ....Then...perhaps do a spread, later....

gregory

What would be the best approach for me to take to job-hunting ?

As a matter of interest - how long has your visa to run, and could it be renewed if you actually got a job ? Can you not look for temporary jobs anyway - I can't say I'd blame them for not wanting someone they will have to lose in x months. What kind of job are we looking at here ? maybe - as it WILL be temporary - aim rather lower. Or set up with a temping agency ? (Not strictly tarot but these kind of thoughts could influence what would be the best question to ask.)

D Sparkles

It feels like a loyalty letdown in your belief system...to gain a job that you know won't be permanent...You don't wish to be a disappointment to your boss.

Nothing wrong with that feeling...but it's misplaced...for what you want to achieve.

May I suggest that you re focus on gaining a CASUAL job that will help you and your employer out. With the end result of both of you feeling happy and satisfied .

I would ,if I may, suggest that you get this belief system into your system ....Then...perhaps do a spread, later....

Thanks for your reply.

I am seeking casual work too. There isn't much of it. I might decide to stay forever if I get a permanent job - who knows...

I just want to know if I'm doing more harm to my job search by being honest from the start.

D Sparkles

What would be the best approach for me to take to job-hunting ?

As a matter of interest - how long has your visa to run, and could it be renewed if you actually got a job ? Can you not look for temporary jobs anyway - I can't say I'd blame them for not wanting someone they will have to lose in x months. What kind of job are we looking at here ? maybe - as it WILL be temporary - aim rather lower. Or set up with a temping agency ? (Not strictly tarot but these kind of thoughts could influence what would be the best question to ask.)

Thanks, Gregory. It's a 2 year visa. I could potentially apply for residency later down the line, but at this stage, I'm unsure about whether or not I would. I don't blame them either. I've been looking for temp jobs too. I haven't seen that many permanent jobs to be honest, but so far if I've seen a perm job I've been interested in, I've called the hiring manager or HR to explain the situation. Applying for jobs is draining. The last thing I want to do is spend 2 hours on a job application or a day preparing for an interview when I'm going to get turned down because I'm not a resident. I'm looking for a digital marketing role. I'm aiming lower, but there aren't many positions. I also get told I am overqualified for the lower positions. I've signed up with a lot of temp agencies. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

It seems it's a common approach to keep your immigration status hidden until you're asked about it. Some employers are ok with the fact that people are on visas and are applying for perm jobs, by the way.

re-pete-a

Thanks for your reply.

I am seeking casual work too. There isn't much of it. I might decide to stay forever if I get a permanent job - who knows...

I just want to know if I'm doing more harm to my job search by being honest from the start.

Honest to whome...?

It all happens in the mental arena first then created onto the external stage of life...

Hence the suggestion to change your personal outlooks first...nobody wants a negative feel...

Which funnily enough leads to a suggestion for a spread...along the lines of ...

"WHAT DO I NEED TO CHANGE TO ATTRACT AN ENJOYABLE JOB"

D Sparkles

Honest to whome...?

It all happens in the mental arena first then created onto the external stage of life...

Hence the suggestion to change your personal outlooks first...nobody wants a negative feel...

Which funnily enough leads to a suggestion for a spread...along the lines of ...

"WHAT DO I NEED TO CHANGE TO ATTRACT AN ENJOYABLE JOB"

Honest to the employer.

I'm not overly concerned with being a let-down. A potential employer will always ask for proof of residency, so I would never be able to hide my immigration status. If they want to hire me knowing that I'm here temporarily, that's up to them - I wouldn't feel bad about that.

What I'm trying to do is save myself a lot of time and effort. I'm a workaholic. I treat job hunting like a job. And sometimes that means 8-10 hours in front of my computer, without breaks. I figure that if I at least make a potential employer aware of my immigration status from the very beginning, they will tell me whether or not it is worth applying for the role. If they don't think it is, then fine. At least I won't have spent time and effort on an application that won't lead anywhere. It's about trying to find some balance in my life. I'm trying to work smarter by cutting out unnecessary tasks.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have asked similar questions to what you have suggested. The question I'd like to ask now is specifically in regards to my immigration status. I'm on a time limit now and need to figure out the best approach. If I don't find a job by the end of the week, I'm going to have to think about leaving pretty soon.

re-pete-a

The best positive thing anyone can do is to create the environment that attracts...the rest is providence and serendipity plus a willingness to act...

good luck with your quest....

Metafizzypop

D Sparkles, hi. It seems you want to know if the approach you are taking, telling employers up front about your visa, is the best way to go for finding a job. Well, there aren't a lot of other options available, other than one. You can tell the employers nothing about your situation until later on in the hiring process. There's only two choices.

Based on that, I would ask two questions, and pull three cards (or four or two, etc.) for each question.

Question 1: How successful will my job search be if I tell employers right away that I am on a visa?

Question 2: How successful will my job search be and if don't tell them until later?

Then do a comparison between the two groups of cards. Look at which group seems to be happier. This will likely answer the issue for you and let you know what to do.

And good luck job hunting. I know how exhausting it can be.

D Sparkles

The best positive thing anyone can do is to create the environment that attracts...the rest is providence and serendipity plus a willingness to act...

good luck with your quest....

Thanks for the luck.