Finding news ways to make money from Tarot

Aunty Anthea

Yet you say you want to find ways of making money from tarot.. This post above seems to contradict that.

I'm confused.. You'd 'never have any peace' if word got around and people found out that you wanted to read tarot for money yet you've started a thread asking how to make money from tarot :confused:

I started this thread after reading posts about people doing online readings and thought it would be a good idea to find other ways of people can make money from readings

As for me 'never having any peace' that has a lot to do with my lifestyle and those I work with. If they knew I needed money they would also feel duty bound to pay me, or find me a husband to look after me :laugh:

gregory

I have no quarrel with paying a tarot reader. It's the tone of the initial question that grates. It sounds grasping. A business card saying $25 a reading doesn't. Nor does "where is the best place to offer face to face paid readings if I don't want to let strangers into my home ?"

There is an very essential difference in tone.

ravenest

I think what does grate on me rather is the title of the thread.

If it said "Trying to make a living from tarot".... As it stands it does feel like "Oooh let's find a new way to squeeze money out of people".

Even "where best to offer readings for money..."

Yes, I must admit that was what urked me - the title of the thread . As I said, it isnt so much the idea of 'exchange', but the thread title sounded like marketing.

Aunty Anthea

I'm curious about something. Why is Tarot being compared with alternative medicine?

Possibly because originally many witches/wise women made their own forms of alternative medicine as well as using tarot and other assorted methods of divination. I know several members of my own family did, including both my paternal and maternal grandmothers, as did their sisters.

gregory

NO - far simpler than that. Someone said it was OK to charge for reiki and not tarot.

It has nothing to do with comparability and a lot to do with making money out of various skills. Or were your people also plumbers - which was also mentioned. The QUALITY and NATURE of the skill was not in question, the making money out of it was.

ravenest

Well, I'm perfectly happy to take money for a Tarot reading. A card reading is draining and it requires an exchange of energy - the client is taking my energy when I read for them. Consequently the client needs to pay me for my energy in some form of energy in return. They could give me groceries, or they could give me a nice home-cooked meal. They could fix my bike or sew me a dress, but perhaps they are not comfortable doing those things. Money is a stand-in for that energy exchange and it's one that I can direct toward buying that dress, or buying what I need to fix my bike.
It's still just a way of recognizing that energy exchange and of correcting for the imbalance that a reading creates. That's all. It's no more moral than is any other action - but people can easily make it immoral. The money itself doesn't care either way.

That is fine, and this is not a criticism ...

When I give out stuff ( whatever ) ... 'The Universe' ( or whatever you want to call it ) does not seem to require that what is returned to me has to come back from the same source.

I gave some stuff away ..... someone else gave me stuff back. My friend decided she was not going to pay me the money she owed me ... and I won $400 on lotto ( hope she does that again ! ) . *

When I moved away from my home, I let someone stay in it for free, although I could have charged rent. My car blew up, then my friends car blew up on me, she said doesnt matter it was crap anyway, lend me the money to buy a new one ( okay - 'lend' is different). But then she had to pay me back in small amounts. I moved back home, no money, no car, but them my ex-boss bought one for me ... for 'all the extra stuff you did for me and my family when you worked for me.

Here is a great one ... my friend had twins, she was alone and needed some help, so I got involved ... then I got to have an amazing 'baby experience' that I never had before ( twins ... phew! )

... and so on.

( By the way, I live on the most wonderful place and in amazing environs ... the land was free too ... but I know many people cant believe I live the way I do ) .

* Talk of the 'devil ' , she just turned up and wants me to drive her to the city tomorrow. I said ok. She got an inheritance and said she will pay for the trip. and lunch and buy me something special I have wanted, that I have not been able to afford .... hmmm, I cant decide what is yet .

Darkmage

NO - far simpler than that. Someone said it was OK to charge for reiki and not tarot.

It has nothing to do with comparability and a lot to do with making money out of various skills. Or were your people also plumbers - which was also mentioned. The QUALITY and NATURE of the skill was not in question, the making money out of it was.

Exactly.

As for regulated trades, Arizona has a lot of fly-by-night contractors that scam people. It keeps the state licensing office busy. But I digress.

People who squeal about '$service should be free!' are also the ones that don't want to pay for anything at all, I've found. They're the ones who show up to potlucks empty handed, have no problem helping themselves to their 'friends' resources, etc. They usually won't have friends for long, but they move on.

As for the example I gave of the whiny divorcee, I've fired clients before and will again. I've also referred a few to professional help. If they get angry, I don't care--my integrity's more important than my pocketbook.

The way I see it, charging or not charging is a personal decision. I get paid in drinks and sushi instead of cash a good chunk of the time. I think it's great! The energy is exchanged and I usually have a lovely evening with friends. And I wouldn't expect to fully live on this--it's great as supplemental income or pocket money, which is what I use it for. But it's also a luxury service at the end of the day so expect people to treat it accordingly.

ravenest

You fired the querent ? :laugh:

I know what you mean, there were certainly some people I would not read for ... once I started saying 'Oh NO! Here comes ..... ' then it was time to 'chose not to read for them' ... but 'firing them' .... I love that !

Darkmage

Indeed! Fortunately, I can count them on one hand. There are a couple people I will NOT read for because reasons, basically. And those that don't pay often find a couple extra charges on their bar tabs the next night out at the club. :cool: Agree to pay by whatever means and then don't? If it's a bad situation I understand. We've all hit rough patches and if I'm getting paid in dinner and drinks, payment occurs when we can get our schedules sorted. Cash is due immediately. People who try to scam free readings out of me rapidly find themselves blacklisted. :/

Saskia

Ummm ... guys , you are not professional medical people, or have a trade .

As far as claiming that anyone that doesnt like the idea of marketing tarot has said 'if you charge you're a cruel human being' is a bit much. I may have missed that, but I am sure the comment isnt here or has been said by anyone.

I think when people make up quotes that were never said and then criticize them to make their point ... they may be getting a bit emotive.

I am not saying anyone is cruel human being for charging . Thats just throwing petrol and a match into something that was not a fire.

Hi Ravenest, I've read your comments and I understand where you're coming from now. I didn't realise you understood the 'new ways of finding money' something akin tarot and psychic scam shows on tv. I agree with you that desperate money graps and dishonesty are the last things that tarot (or any area in life) needs. So I apologise for my hasty comment about 'cruel people', I understood you and some others were thinking that people who charge for their readings are heartless because they don't help for free. Hence I made the reference to other people who help and still charge.

Yes I am aware tarot is not a trade, but it's a skill that takes years to learn to the point where your readings actually are somewhat reliable and not just wishful imagination. Anybody is free to learn it, yet many people decide not to and expect other people to provide this knowledge to them (by seeking readings). I see it only fair that there is an exchange taking place instead of one person giving and one taking on a one-way street. Obviously the payment doesn't have to be money, but mutual exchange just works better in my mind than 'extracting' skills from someone.

I understood the question to mean new innovative ways, such as corporate/career readings in professional settings (I've heard about this being the new management fashion), partnering up with party organisers etc. It really doesn't have to be anything shady or dishonest - or making money on someone's misery, as accused here earlier (which prompted me to compare to these other helping trades).