Finding news ways to make money from Tarot

nisaba

Also, the readers all charged set amounts. Last time I did the fairs we all offered a variety of services at a variety of prices, ie 1 card tasters, 3 card readings or 10 cards readings, free angle card etc
That may have been a charge set by the organiser of the fair, so that one reader couldn't undercut all the others and steal their business. And fair enough, too.

As perspective customers, we were not given an opportunity to peruse stalls as we wandered around, because we were accosted every few steps by desperate stall holders, felt akin to being in a street market.

If they'd been charged $2,000 for a stall (which they do in the Mind-Body-Spirit festival), they would naturally be desperate and would do anything to try and cover it.

Aunty Anthea

That may have been a charge set by the organiser of the fair, so that one reader couldn't undercut all the others and steal their business. And fair enough, too.

I did ask at the time and the charge is not set by the organisers. To me it seemed that most of the exhibitors there were just on the take, charging an average of £50 for half an hour is (to my mind) wrong :bugeyed:

We as readers/psychics provide a service and many of our clients are distressed, we should treat them with more respect and not just look on them as 'cash cows'

In the past, I have found that most of the people who have asked me for a one card taster, went on to have a full reading ;)

If they'd been charged $2,000 for a stall (which they do in the Mind-Body-Spirit festival), they would naturally be desperate and would do anything to try and cover it.

I have checked with the organisers and they were only charged £65 for a stall so absolutely NO reason for the high prices

AnemoneRosie

I did ask at the time and the charge is not set by the organisers. To me it seemed that most of the exhibitors there were just on the take, charging an average of £50 for half an hour is (to my mind) wrong :bugeyed:

We as readers/psychics provide a service and many of our clients are distressed, we should treat them with more respect and not just look on them as 'cash cows'

In the past, I have found that most of the people who have asked me for a one card taster, went on to have a full reading ;)

I disagree that "many" clients are distressed. Some certainly are. Some of my clients, though, come to me and my cards to check in with themselves - after all, I'm much cheaper than therapy and I offer them a similar opportunity for reflection and introspection. A question like "how is work?" is not necessarily a question of distress - it can be one of "how can I really shine?" coming from a place of mediocrity. I find that I get a fair bit of those sorts of questions - things that the querent could solve on their own if they really sat down, checked in with themselves, and thought about it... but it's easier to do so with a tool and the Tarot happens to be a good tool of choice.
Some people get their hair styled or their nails done to similar effect.

I still don't think that it's wrong to ask for monetary compensation for one's time and energy. Not only is time money as the truism goes, but if we're going to be talking about distressed clients... a psychologist is over $200 for an hour here. So why shouldn't my counselling-light be a few dollars? I'm still using my counselling skills when I read the cards.

Awakened Queen

Fully agreed. If charging for tarot is sad, why is charging for any (other) type of healing not sad? How about dentists, doctors, nurses, caretakers - why can they charge the normal wage for their skills and time? Why is it not_sad to charge for any (other) personal development service? How about teaching yoga, being a personal trainer, dietician, life coach, sports coach, beautician, massage giver...? Or any occupation or profession for that matter, why is it ok to charge in everywhere else for the skills, experience and effort you're putting in?

Sorry if this came off as a bit of a rant but at least I'd hope to see a bit more justification for singling out tarot as the 'if you charge you're a cruel human being' occupation/trade.

It's just a service just like anything else. I don't understand why people get their panties in a twist about it. Tarot readings take time and energy and provide the client with guidance and insight. Why not charge for that! My grandmother was a Reiki Master who told me that there needs to be an exchange of money for her services to make it balanced and fair. That goes for everything. Tarot readers/healers/intuitives are not indentured servants. They need to make money to live too.

gregory

I have checked with the organisers and they were only charged £65 for a stall so absolutely NO reason for the high prices
The title of this thread is in the exact spirit of the kind of charges you cite.

And anyway - with plumbers (and now that I recall it, boiler servicemen !) in the UK having a 120 pound CALL OUT fee before they even start work - what's the essential difference.

Charging for a service makes it a cash cow ? All you are really saying here is that these people charge more than you would. What point exactly does that make ? You can charge what you wish. Anyone can. We are all free to buy or not buy.

I disagree that "many" clients are distressed. Some certainly are. Some of my clients, though, come to me and my cards to check in with themselves - after all, I'm much cheaper than therapy and I offer them a similar opportunity for reflection and introspection. A question like "how is work?" is not necessarily a question of distress - it can be one of "how can I really shine?" coming from a place of mediocrity. I find that I get a fair bit of those sorts of questions - things that the querent could solve on their own if they really sat down, checked in with themselves, and thought about it... but it's easier to do so with a tool and the Tarot happens to be a good tool of choice.
Some people get their hair styled or their nails done to similar effect.
Exactly.

I still don't think that it's wrong to ask for monetary compensation for one's time and energy. Not only is time money as the truism goes, but if we're going to be talking about distressed clients... a psychologist is over $200 for an hour here. So why shouldn't my counselling-light be a few dollars? I'm still using my counselling skills when I read the cards.
This too - yes !

Tarot readers/healers/intuitives are not indentured servants. They need to make money to live too.
*applauds*

Isn't that what you started this thread for, AA ? To ask for more ways to make money from Tarot. And then the people who DO so get your goat. I don't get it.

McFaire

charging an average of £50 for half an hour is (to my mind) wrong :bugeyed:

I disagree with the judgement of "wrong" here because no one is forcing the customer to attend the faire or to buy a reading once there.

I agree that £50 for half an hour may seem expensive, but calling it wrong is a step too far. If no one came, they'd have to lower the price. If the booth is full all day at £50 for half an hour, good for them. It doesn't concern me.

AnemoneRosie

The title of this thread is in the exact spirit of the kind of charges you cite.

Isn't that what you started this thread for, AA ? To ask for more ways to make money from Tarot. And then the people who DO so get your goat. I don't get it.

This has been confusing me as well.
I get paid to read - either in cash or in-kind. And I had thought from the title that this thread would be about that, about finding ways to increase the availability of our services. It's sort of implied. And instead I need to defend why my talents deserve compensation which is the opposite of what's implied.

McFaire

There is a thread around here where people argued that writers shouldn't expect to make money from their writing. They should do it for the love of writing and not from a desire for profit. The same question comes up for a variety of professions.

Earning income for your work is not wrong.

Sar

There is a thread around here where people argued that writers shouldn't expect to make money from their writing. They should do it for the love of writing and not from a desire for profit. The same question comes up for a variety of professions.

Earning income for your work is not wrong.

It is deeply insulting to ask people to work for free.