$300 tarot deck

FLizarraga

$300 is a lot of dough.

The details of all four editions are here, straight from the horse's mouth:

https://robertmplacetarot.com/the-four-editions-of-the-alchemical-tarot/

I have had the 1st, and I currently own the 3rd and the 4th.

The 1st has its charm, but the cards are a little smaller (I think) and the publisher imposed large ornate borders on them that make the images really tiny. The cardstock also feels a little less solid.

I cannot talk about the 2nd edition beyond what I can see at his website. But, if I were you, I'd go for either the 3rd or the 4th. The 4th has that elegant parchment look, a few tweaks, and an extra symbol or two. The 3rd has (slightly) larger images and (much) vibrant colors, and it's the one I personally like the most.

witchbabie

FLizarraga, what I love about the 2nd edition is the back of the deck! It's so beautiful. As for the decks as a whole, I seem to be drawn to the fourth edition the most and I'll most likely get that one next. I'm not entirely sure why I keep thinking about the first edition though; the art really draws me in.

avalonian

It's so much money that I don't have

I think you have your answer there. :)

I would spend a lot on a deck that I really wanted (for example, over £200 for the Granny Jones) but I would never spend money I didn't have, or buy a deck I couldn't afford.

I usually follow the principle that if I'm supposed to have a deck I'll either find one when I have the money or I'll find one for a bargain price - these things have a way of sorting themselves out.

:) :) :)

gregory

Sigh. I wouldn't pay $300 for the first, I confess - I hated the columns from day 1. But I have first and second. Do I want 3rd or 4th ? If so, why ?

ETA - never mind. If I do this thing, it would be the fourth ! Thanks for the link, Fliz.

Barleywine

$300 is a lot of dough.

The details of all four editions are here, straight from the horse's mouth:

https://robertmplacetarot.com/the-four-editions-of-the-alchemical-tarot/

I have had the 1st, and I currently own the 3rd and the 4th.

The 1st has its charm, but the cards are a little smaller (I think) and the publisher imposed large ornate borders on them that make the images really tiny. The cardstock also feels a little less solid.

I cannot talk about the 2nd edition beyond what I can see at his website. But, if I were you, I'd go for either the 3rd or the 4th. The 4th has that elegant parchment look, a few tweaks, and an extra symbol or two. The 3rd has (slightly) larger images and (much) vibrant colors, and it's the one I personally like the most.

It's interesting to see how the clarity of Place's artistic vision evolved (or maybe it's just better printing capabilities?); as a graphic artist I like the 3rd Edition backs best. Now I'm going to have to go and buy Alchemy and the Tarot, since I have both the 4th Edition Alchemical and the Sevenfold Mystery. Thanks! (I think :))

AJ

the first edition recently sold on our trading forum for $70 I think.

MistyCheckers

I looked at the page on Robert's website where he describes the differences in each edition. It was really interesting seeing how his vision kept evolving. I have the 1st edition and am happy with it. I would however, be tempted by the 3rd; it's colors seem more vivid and the images are larger. Plus I was never crazy about the borders on the 1st. On the other hand, I just don't care for the 4th. The colors are so dull!

ETA I know it was an artistic choice and he wanted his cards to look like alchemical manucripts... but it really changes the feel of the deck for me. I prefer the colorfulness of the previous ones.

Padma

I'd never pay that much for a first edition of something, as far as decks go. My personal limit is $100 (including postage) for any given deck. And you'd never get your $300 back, if you decided to sell it later.

I have the 3rd Alchemical, for which I think I paid $40 plus postage, from a member here, and it is lovely :)

G6

I'd never pay that much for a first edition of something. My personal limit is $100 (including postage) for any given deck. And you'd never get your $300 back, if you decided to sell it later.

I have the 3rd Alchemical, for which I think I paid $40 plus postage, from a member here, and it is lovely :)

Lol, the most I paid for a deck was $55, so that's my limit. On rare occassions will I go that high for a deck ($40-55). If you have lots of disposable income your cut off might be higher. However, this eBay post seems to go into the, "Sucker Born Everyday" category. The poster hopes to play on some unsuspecting rich person that thinks this deck will give them magical powers.

If you believe it, I have magic beans to sell you for 1k a piece. I only have three. ;-)

ETA: Woops, sorry, thought your post was this post about a $300 deck. Guess that's the magic number lately.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=270532

I'm not sure there should be any hysteria about the Alchemical. Its a contemporary classic. I bought the 1st edition here for $10-15 and I bought the 4th edition here for $15. I'm sure there will be a 5th edition though. Someone should ask Mr. Place.

brknarow22

I love Mr Place's work. I have the 4th edition. I do not mind the muted colors. I wouldn't mind the 3rd for a decent price. I owned the Sevenfold first. If you can reach the deck creator it is always worth an email. I have purchased out of print decks direct before for normal retail. So fantastic! I have had even more success with companion books that were difficult to find! If all else fails dont rule out PDF's if you dont mind them. If you like Mr Places work the book The Fools Journey is availed in a PDF. I wouldn't the $50 or $60 dollars for the copies I was finding online. I think I paid $10 for the PDF. I kinda like them. I get to make notes without feeling I am defaming the book. I would love a copy of the Annotated Sevenfold.