The Priest - Major #5

tarotbear

This was one of the first images I found online when hearing about the Gay Tarot, and my first reaction was that a priest marrying two gay men - in a deck from super-catholic Italy! The popes are rolling over in their graves! In truth, I never expected the events of the past two years to happen EVER in my lifetime, but such an event is still many years away, especially here in Jesus/Bushland. Let us hope this image may someday become true, and not 'date' this deck someday in the future!

LWB:"The best way to help others is to help them make their own decisions." Marriage is a secular institution, not a religious one {People get upset when I say that!} I always remember this incident from my high school days:
I went to a catholic H.S., and my senior religion class was taught by a priest who was also the principal of the school (How's that for a double-whammy?) One day he walked into class and asked :' So, who marries the couple?' Hands went up - 'The priest', 'the church,' 'God', etc. He waved all the hands down. 'You fools!' he said 'The couple MARRIES EACH OTHER - the church has nothing to do with it!' I was always astounded by the truth and candor in that statement. Let the state decides who gets married and tell the religious authorities to go do a novena!

Lee

tarotbear said:
[...] my first reaction was that a priest marrying two gay men - in a deck from super-catholic Italy!
You know, it's funny, this never even occurred to me. Adds a nice ironic touch to the whole thing! Lo Scarabeo never even commented on this image, which shows what a class act they are. In fact, they didn't give me any restrictions or object to anything I put in the cards.

-- Lee

Shuvano

It's funny that when I first looked at this card, I too also thought of the Roman Catholic Church and the priest officiating at a same-sex marriage.....but after meditating on it and really getting into the study of the cards my opinions and views have changed!

The card is devoid of my particular religious sectarian symbolism and the title "The Priest" is very non-descript too......there are priests in a variety of religions so who is to say that this is Catholic?!? (The Officiant, which I think would have been a better name for this card could be Episcopalian, Presbyterian, MCC, Lutheran, even Pagan!)

All in all, this card represents 'traditional' values and accepted cultural norms...but this is all very subjective. IMHO, this card is about seeking counsel and blessing from a guru, spiritual advisor or religious leader to further develop a committed relationship.....it is an outward expression of the love two people share in a more conventional manner. (What I really would have liked to see is the two people depicted as The Lovers depicted again in this card.....as Lee seemed to link cards to each other throughout the deck....) I also see this card as a indicator to stick to your beliefs/values/morals despite what everyone else is doing.

Just my dos-centavos!