The turning point (or when to go professional)

Lula Jing

starchild said:
i made the dicision when i had a very rich lady come to me for a reading. the reading was very good, (and i dont mean that in an egoestic way). fine details that were important to her came up ect. anyway when she drove of in her mercades i stood in my room and realised she hadnt left me nothing for my efforts. i went into my living room and both my kids were there waiting for me to make dinner and i thought, urm somethings not right here.
LOL I'm not a professional tarot reader but this story reminds me of something that happened to me. My sister commissioned me (somewhat against my will) to read for her friends at a jewellery party. I was so nervous, but she kept saying 'it's OK, you need to be more confident, it will be good practice... etc. and she said 'just charge something small and we'll put the money towards the food and drink'.

So, I did as I was told, short readings per friend for a nominal fee.

So the readings went pretty well and what surprised me was that each friend that came into the room (I did them privately) handed over their coins right away, before I'd even opened my mouth.

And apparently, each friend came out saying it was good, they enjoyed it and nobody flinched at the payment. I even surprised myself with the readings, getting some details across that really made sense. What started as fun became something more.

But then, the last person to come in was different. At the time I didn't realise (my sis explained later) but this person could be a bit of a drain in terms of leaning on her friends and liked to be the centre of attention.

So she came in, sat down...... and before I knew it half an hour had passed and we were still at it. Then, she wanted more cards... then she came out of the room and burst into tears! Imagine how I felt??? Everyone fussed around, and apparently I had not said anything bad, but I had hit on some truths and she was crying with 'relief'... and payment? None was offered.... and she didn't buy any jewellery either!

So this taught me something. I went from feeling reluctant to take any money (or even to do the readings at all!) to being really glad I did the readings to then even feeling a bit 'put out' not to receive the last payment, not because I needed or wanted the money, it was just the principal! :D

I guess, if you put your time and energy in and you get good feedback from your readings, then it's a fair exchange to get a little something back in return - unless of course you do a freebie, which is totally on your terms!

Shy :)

MareSaturni

Wow...everyone's story here are amazing. Very unique experiences i could have never imagined.

Starchild, i'm touched by your story. I hope you bocme more successful as a tarot reader day after day!

Shy Priestess, what an interesting way to learn how to...get paid. Heh. I believe i'd need something like that. The problem is that i don't think i ever read for absolute complete strangers...it's usually, friends, classmates, friends of classmates and stuff...and no one has ever offered me a payment. Maybe my reading aren't worth it yet...maybe it's because i never asked...but i know some people would stop asking for readings because they'd think it's a rip off.

I'm not needing bit amounts of money right now, but it's not like my wallet is thick with money. I'm a student, cash is always helpful to me. But in order to do that, i'd need to know if my reading are worth any money.

I think it's a complicated turning point, unless it just happpens in your life suddenly and you have no choice but just do it.

~Marina

8ofcuper

Wow. I was just thinking about this today, and I end up seeing this topic here. I was wondering if it was really good to charge people for a reading. Is it really ok to do readings for people for money? I mean, people come to you for answers, but is it really fair if you make them give you money? I think that if you really needed the money and you had no other means of getting money, then it's ok, but if you do have other means then why charge? And I was wonder if there is a thing you can get to say you are a pro. Like a licence, or something like it.

MoonLitCrystal

Exactly! It's like, "Why would anyone pay me???" LOL. I do realize that I am good, and that I do hit on a lot of key points when I read, but still. I feel "awkward" and "out of place" to read for money. I don't know. Maybe my self esteem isn't what it should be in order to charge a fee.

EnriqueEnriquez

A client of mine told me a story: the big bosses in her company hired a very famous violinist to give a private recital to them and their wives. After a wonderful concert, the small crowd gathered around the violinist to praise him. One of the wives grabbed the violinist by the shoulders and told him: “Oh dear, I would give my life to play as good as you do!” The violinist grabbed her back by the shoulders and said: “I have given my life to play this good!”

For me the Tarot is very much like a violin. It is an instrument you use to move the human soul. You have to know your instrument, you have to study, and to practice a lot. You never cease to study. The reactions you get from people is what tells you if you are making horrible noises or beautiful music.

I became a Tarot reader the day I decided that nothing else was as fulfilling for me as the Tarot.

At that point I had a good relationship with the cards, and an interest in people. I also had an understanding of pain, and of how lonely we are when we experience it. I decided to be there for others.

I don’t have a set fee. People retribution equals what they feel they got from the reading, within their personal means. No one can say that they cannot get a reading with me for lack of money, but no one sits with me without leaving a retribution for my work. Along the years I have received all kind of things, from fruits to designer leather jackets. Most people respect me and are appreciative of my work. There will be always someone who takes advantage of you. I believe that’s their problem, not mine.

Best,

EE

Foucault

Wise words indeed, Enrique!

EnriqueEnriquez said:
There will be always someone who takes advantage of you. I believe that’s their problem, not mine.

vhrsn

Hi to all,

Yes exactly I'd say the tarot is like an instrument. Funnily enough I have a story to tell:
I was reading for a person over the phone and the person said the reading really was good. Also, the person had asked me if I charged for my readings because he had stated that I should. I didn't feel comfortable, I've taken contributions and have charged once for an in person reading etc. I really would like to go professional as I have two certification certificates in the tarot.
So, I'd recommend one thing to those who are going to go pro. If doing a reading in person or over the phone, try to make a tape of the reading. That way the person can ahve something to take with them.
All the best,
Veronica