Victorian Flower Oracle: Hawthorn

.traveller.

Hawthorn
a Necessary Evil

Image: A Hawthorn woman and her offshoots are set upon by two pairs of secuteurs (otherwise known as pruning shears).

I've had this card come up for communication, as in singling someone out from the crowd of opinions. To me, this card speaks of defining or refining something, getting to the heart of a matter. Cutting away the extraneous to see the true form or potential of something. Advice might include staying focused, prose may need editing, a painting might need scraping, or maybe it IS time to do some yard work.
Hawthorns flower in the Spring and any pruning would occur after the flowers are spent... this is something I might use to answer a timing related question.

ana luisa

As a mother, I love this card. It shows, to me, a mother who cannot understand why her "adorable" children need "pruning". It may be a call for action ; a little less pampering, a little less spoiling is in order. Funny too is that the two girls look VERY MUCH like their mother so it may also imply that they're mimiquing her.
The pruning seems to come in the shape of remarks , caustic ones.

Ange

The secataurs get near to the women and they are flinching back from them. Something they fear. But is the reality as bad as the fear?

Fear is something that makes us draw back, makes us look afraid....but is the fear stronger than that which will actually happen? I see this card as something that we have to face and get it over with......something probably inevitable, either through life or our actions.

Ang x