Reviving the One Deck Wonder

Skimo

Since I have joined on AT, I have read a few times about the One Deck Wonder, and made research about it.

Since I have joined, I have also added a few deck to my "collection"... and I have the feeling I should focus on one for beginning to study tarot.

So I would like to join the ODW, with one tarot : the Halloween and one oracle : the Froud Faeries.

Grizabella

I just wanted to add that you don't have to commit to doing this for a whole year. Commit to it for three or six months or something you think you may be able to actually achieve. I highly recommend the exercise.

Gosh, I can't believe almost a whole year has gone by!

thorhammer

I like your choices, Skimo! The Faeries are, of course, going to be my Oracle of choice, as well, although I'm not quite in faunabay's camp yet - it's still a deck, to me. Sort of :confused:.

I've been thinking about this most of the day, and I think I'm going to set myself a time of three months. I will begin a day or two after I finish the companion book to the WoC. Now, since I'm only just starting on the Minors section and it's taken me weeks to get through the Majors :laugh: I think that the Autumn Equinox would be a good marking point, and a goal for me.

So:

I will begin my ODW on the 22 March, 2008

There. I've said it. My rules (for myself only :D) are:

- no readings with any decks other than the tarot and/or oracle decks chosen.
- no study of any deck apart from those two.
- no playing with or looking through any of my decks, not even for the Hide and Seek type threads, apart from new arrivals and then only for the purposes of checking (otherwise eBay will bite me in the butt :D).

That's the "Nots" out of the way. Now, it occurs to me that I should have a goal of some description. An active one, that is, not a passive one. Now, to say that I should attempt to journal with each and every card from both decks (Hel, either deck :laugh:) is an exercise in futility. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a goal or destination? Or is it not necessary? Is it even quantifiable? Even if I did manage to journal on every card, would I be doing it from a deep and meaningful place, or forcing myself and thus doing substandard "work"?

Hmm, more damn questions.

\m/ Kat

Grizabella

thorhammer said:
That's the "Nots" out of the way. Now, it occurs to me that I should have a goal of some description. An active one, that is, not a passive one. Now, to say that I should attempt to journal with each and every card from both decks (Hel, either deck :laugh:) is an exercise in futility. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a goal or destination? Or is it not necessary? Is it even quantifiable?

\m/ Kat

It's not necessary. You'll find that having knocked out the competition for your attention, you'll be glad to journal or do whatever else you can think of with your deck/decks of choice. You'll have so much more time to work with the one/two you've chosen.

I guess if we're choosing oracles to work with, too, I might as well add my Astrologisches Lenormand. I'm working with that one in the workshop here. Normally oracles aren't my thing, but this one has me hooked. :)

thorhammer

Thanks, Solitaire*. Nice to know that. I'm glad to hear you'll be joining us - with the VR, yes? and the Astrologische Lenormand? Never heard of it, but it sounds intriguing :). I guess it's unnecessary to ask when you'll start - you're already a year or so into it! :laugh:

You've got quite a head-start on me. It's good to have people around who can offer the support that I know I'm going to need sometimes :D

\m/ Kat

Grizabella

thorhammer said:
Thanks, Solitaire*. Nice to know that. I'm glad to hear you'll be joining us - with the VR, yes? and the Astrologische Lenormand? Never heard of it, but it sounds intriguing :). I guess it's unnecessary to ask when you'll start - you're already a year or so into it! :laugh:

You've got quite a head-start on me. It's good to have people around who can offer the support that I know I'm going to need sometimes :D

\m/ Kat

I may stay with the VR, but I might do it with the Bohemian Gothic, since it's said to be the Dark Sister of the VR. :) I've had some really interesting flashes of insight when looking at some of the scans in the BG, so unless it creeps me out too much, I may try the ODW with that one. I'll let you know.

But at any rate, having been a long time with the VR exclusively, I'll be glad to share insights and support from having done that.

Oh, and the Astrologisches Lenormand is this deck:

http://www.tarotwelten.de/lenmas.htm

There are many others, but I just think this one is absolutely beautiful and it's the one I choose to use.

I have a suggestion, though. I think our ODW oracle studies should probably be split off from this into a thread in the Oracles section. It will be less confusing that way, maybe, and it will really be putting the oracle studies where they belong.

autumnsdaughter

Okay, I've decided I'm going to do this too. I've been hopping like a rabid frog from one deck to another, and enough is enough. So I am joining the challenge with my DruidCraft in one hand and my Faeries Oracle in the other.

Here are my ground rules for myself.
No thumbing through other decks unless they are new
No reading with other decks at all
No reading guidebooks on other decks
No "oops I forgot I was doing this, oh well, might as well quit while I'm ahead" rationalizations.

Let the monogamy begin! :D :D :D

Skimo

I think I should do it until... Halloween

It seems to be quite logic, isn't it?

Choosing the beginning of spring seems also appropriate.

I should receive at least one new deck until the end of the month and I know I won't be able not to read with it at least for a new deck interview ;o)

Le Fanu

Yes, Thorhammer, I am doing this right now with the Jacques Vieville. I was getting too bogged down with all the other decks and my buying and restlessness and compulsiveness.

So I made a vow (I didnt know there was a name for it!), just to focus on one.

Just me and Jacques Vieville. Going deeper and deeper undistractedly, and loving every minute...

So, yes, can I join in?

Emily

I did the original study with just one deck - the Tarot of the Old Path. I found doing this study really helped me to concentrate on just one deck and to get to know it inside and out but I only managed 5 months (if that) and I think this was because the deck didn't take me out of my comfort zone. It was a brand new deck but a RWS clone and I just fell into it, completely comfortable and reading it practically straight from the box.

This time round I've been using a deck that in the past I had issues with, the Liber T - and it has took me out of my comfort zone and is learning me a different style of reading. I started with this deck in September and apart from reading with a couple of decks just the once it has been the Liber T that I have stuck with.

Six months in and this deck is still as fascinating and multi-layered to me as it was when I first saw it - it never fails to answer questions but it goes both ways, it will sometimes throw a card at me and I have no idea what it could be referring to and so I let the images speak - sometimes the answers I get are not traditional but they mean something to me.

Usually I fall head over heels with the decks that I am sure are the 'one' but they never seem to last and I get bored with them but this hasn't happened with the Liber T, its been more like really getting to know it, then realising that this is what I've been missing, its a deck that is happy being used at its most basic but then when you want to delve deeper, it's very happy to take you there. :)

I'd recommend the one deck wonder study but not to put any time limit on it, even if you only use a deck for a few weeks, you'll get something out of it.