78 Weeks: Hermit

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

The Hermit

Universal Waite and Sharman-Caselli Decks

The image in both is an old, wise man character, wearing a large flowing grey cloak with a hood. He has white hair and a beard, indicating maturity. He sort of looks like an old wizard or mage with this staff in his left hand (creative side).

He holds a lantern high in his right hand (side of action) - like he is actively using the lantern to light his path. He is looking down, but is he physically looking where he is going or is he using his mind to see. In the Universal Waite Hermit - he has his eyes closed so he can't be looking at the path before him. In the Sharman-Caselli Hermit - his hood hides his eyes so you can't actually see if he has his eyes open. If he is not looking where he is going, is he lighting the path for himself or someone else? A guide, a beacon or inner light - inner self illumination.

In the S-C Hermit, the Hermit is on a stony, barren path, close to the oceans edge. The sea is not stormy but looks like it has large wave swells - water - undulating emotions / subconscious. At the Hermit's feet is a snake / serpent - symbol of transformation, wisdom, renewal in the shedding of the skin. Peeling back the layers to reveal the new skin / self beneath.

He is alone, solitary on his path or journey, with the only light in the dark night. In the S-C Hermit he wears a travelling robe and very sensible looking walking boots - definitely on the move, searching, not stationery - dressed for a journey, but in the image itself he is not striding out or stepping - standing still - makes me think it is more his mind seeking out his path on his journey - soul searching. His inner light shining brightly in the dark night. It is only when you have quiet time can you close your eyes and search and see the inner light / fire / self.

Tried hard to associate with the Hermit this week, as I do with each card in the study, but found this very difficult due to an extremely busy work and social week. But as I was sitting typing up my notes by myself after everyone has gone to sleep. Made me really appreciate the solitude, thought processes - all of this takes time - highlighting that we must make time in our busy lives for ourselves, for our thoughts to focus or even to see the guiding light in the dark.

Looking forward to reading the other posts when they reach the light of the computer screen :)

CreativeFire

Moonbow

Hadar

The first thing that strikes me about this card is the blue hair and beard. Blue is the colour of the spiritual plane and as he is facing the past, it means he is reflective, thoughtful, wise, knowledgeable and strong. His quest is timeless. He doesn't just look to the past but also into the distance and he holds his light up high for clearer sight.

His walking stick is crooked (just as he is) and it does not reach the ground - he again shows his spirituality. He doesn't need help, his lantern and stick are there for the guidence of others.

The underside of his robes are yellow which represents the devine plane. I think it's interesting that his cloak is dark (blue) on the outside, and light (yellow) on the inside. To me this shows that he is a priviate person and revealing the underneath of the cloak is like revealing part of his inner self. He is a private and insular person who doesn't need to prove himself or show his intelligence - he has inner satisfaction.

Crystal - Tarocchi Di Vetro

He silently walks, barefooted, through the woods, the soft red glow of this lamp illuminates the greenery around him. He is at one with his surroundings and becomes part of them. While he walks he goes within, giving himself silent counsel as he comtemplates his journey.

It's night-time. He walks along a red road which stretches far into the distance and disappears between mountains. The landscape is bare, rugged and deserted. He pauses in his slow, silent journey and turns to his left. Did he hear a noise? He holds his lantern high but the night is so pitch that it lights just a small area around him. He wears tattered clothes of blue and old boots - his only protection from the cruel and rough terrain. He is thin and hungry and knows it will be a long time before he sees his next meal. He is patient though, and continues his journey with purpose, there is no hurry.

Major Tom

For me, The Hermit at VIIII is at the end of a cycle. The Hermit is pictured as an old man, and as such, has gained a great deal of understanding and wisdom in the course of his life. I view him as a sort of pioneer, forging ahead of the crowd and finding his own pathway through life. What could be more natural as one advances in spiritual understanding than to turn around and hold aloft a light so that others may follow?

In my quest to create a new tarot deck based on the Marseilles pattern but depicting the characters in modern dress, The Hermit has proved the most problematic yet. I can't ever recall seeing a hermit in real life, so how to decide what he should wear? Following lots of meditation with my US Games version of the Marseilles, I decided he had to wear a long coat.

Attachments

• viiii the hermit.jpg
    viiii the hermit.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 161

Jewel-ry

The Hermit.

I have been desperately looking for my own space, somewhere to retreat to. It doesn't have to be a cave in a mountain even, I just want a space to call my own. Very hard in this house! A couple of days ago whilst sat in my bedroom just 'doing my own thing', you know: reflection, reading, looking at cards etc, I was interrupted 3 times - questions, phone calls. My time was invaded once again. How much easier this journey would be if one could just retreat without distraction!!

Humble
Enlightenment
Retreat
Meditation or maturity
Illumination or introspection
Thought

HADAR

His blue cloak of spirituality with its yellow lining shows that he is turning inwards, introspection. The material world, he leaves behind him, shown by the fact that his hat has been pulled down from his head. He wears the beard of wisdom. I think his long loose, unkempt hair and the loosneness of his robes indicate a freedom to roam where he chooses. His lamp is held high to light his path. His illumination of the past will enhance what is and what is to come. He has depth to him. He fills the card and has so many layers, start from the outside and work your way in. With each layer comes a deeper understanding. I see discretion. He does not give answers, I imagine him to be a man of few words. He helps you to find the answers yourself!

CRYSTAL

He walks his own path, towards the left and looks upwards. He leaves action and distraction behind him (the red swirls in the background). The card has a feel of being on higher ground with the red swirls being 'down there'. His foot peaks from beneath his robes. He holds his lamp low around his sacral/root chakra perhaps signalling that his body is grounded and humbled. He doesn't really need the light to show his way, it is for others should they need it. His bald head makes me think of a kind of openess, a higher knowledge. He may have simple needs but his mind is so 'knowing'.

HAINDL

The wise old man archetyoe is so evident in this card. He embraces illumination, but is he looking up from the depths of the Earth, or up from higher open ground? It can be interpretted either way. Owls and old rocks adorn this card, showing wisdom, experience and maturity and his lamp really lights up the card. This card gives a wider perspective to my understanding of the Hermit, a more worldly knowledge perhaps?

J :)

galadrial

Blue Rose deck

www.tarotpassages..com/PGHermit.htm

Out of all ideas fired from below by all desires, one called Truth hangs fixed and frozen illuminating a staircase in the air leading up to a pinnacle beyond which is thin, pure expanse. The focus is not on outer form, which becomes a mere outline, a vessel willing to empty itself in order to be filled. Each step up to this point was preperatory. Peace prevails and the Hermit is...seeking, not for X nor Y, a predefined concept of what he imagines will be fulfilling, but for what IS. And what IS will fill the vessel and the Hermit will realize what all teachings, all words have been wholely inadequate to describe.

Majecot

The Hermit

Trying to get back into the grove of things here. I fell behind a little bit due to a heavy work schedule and home schedule.
Too many pans in the fire as usual.

Traditional images of the hermit are have been one of my favorites. It reminds me to seek my own inner wisdom and reflect on spiritual guidence.

Quest

This card depicts a naked man in a cave from his extended right arm is a ball of light with nine sparks flying from it. In the fore ground in an owl and some sort of a beetle with a yin-yang symbol on it’s back. This card is very dark and difficult for me to see the images. I know the traditional meanings are going within and seeking truth. Or gaining wisdom, spiritual growth. This is another card where the imagery does not quite evoke the same feelings as I get from other decks.

Rohrig

This card has a superimposed face of a man on it. His mind is open to the universe and etched over his face is a maze. The picture in the shadows are of a translucent traditional RWS figure of the hermit, cloaked, carrying a lantern and walking staff. On the right side of the hermits face is a mountain cabin, the retreat to which the hermit goes to seek spiritual guidance. On the paper written below the images are the words the hermit, Virgo, find ones own light, completion, fruitfulness, concise leader, time to harvest.

Both cards carry the sign of Virgo, the Hebrew letter Yod, hand and the rune symbol Is, impedance.

foot note: It looks like I wasn't the only one that got off track. our numbers seem to be decreasing :(

Emily

The Hermit - Morgan Greer

The main colours of this card are very dull - Dark grey sky, brown robes, black lantern, wood staff, golden star, white mountains.

This Hermit stands on a high snow covered mountain peak, with a grey sky behind him and more snow covered mountains. He stands in complete isolation and solitude, holding his lantern high in his right hand and staff in his left, his cloak covers his head.

It looks like he is looking into the lantern, maybe because it is the only bright thing about the card - Inside the lantern is a bright yellow 6 pointed star, the light is shining off it. The Hermit gives the impression of being an elderly man, his hair and beard are snow white.

_N_

OK, I know this thread is a bit old, but it's new for me ;) so here goes a question on the hermit, based on how I've always seen him in the RW deck -
I see it as a card of inner searching, wisdom, reflection, turning in on yourself, finding your way spiritually and the flip side of such things. But the meaning given by RW says that the hermit is especially associated with treason - that meaning just never rang true to me or came through for me - am I alone in disagreeing with RW on this one?

N

TemperanceAngel

Hi _N_!

Whose meaning of RWS says that? XTAX