78 Weeks: Strength

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

Majecot

Strength

Quest

This card shows a woman that is riding a golden lion. She appears to be at ease with her situation. Above her head is a lemniscates, like on the Magician card. This card is all red, symbolizing power. The lion is standing on red-hot lava, the power from the earth, and the woman is holding a snake in her right hand. She is channeling the power from the universe into the snake in her hand. She is strong and confidant yet controls with grace. This is a card of inner power to me. You will have the strength to over come any obstacle, but careful it does not go to your head.

Rohrig

This is a beautiful picture of a woman head thrown back in laughter, kneeling next to a serene lion. She is to laughing in the face of danger; she knows that she has complete control over the wild beast.
The showing of the universe in the background makes this a spiritual card to me. The usual writings on the paper for Strength, lion, passion (emotion), creates talents, powers investigation of animal forces, overcoming of..
I see both of the cards in the same light I think, both indicate to me that inner strength and confidence is required/or obtained in resolving a situation. Or in some instances calling on your animal instincts for motivation.
I look at this card, and a sense of calmness washes over me, I find it comforting.

Sign of Leo, Hebrew letter Teth; snake, female, power, and the Rune sign Sigil, S, Sun, life force, wholeness are also on both cards.

Moonbow

Hadar

She looks to the future but her expression is one of determination and control. As she pulls the lions jaws apart she braces herself against his strength to resist, (her red sandalled foot). She does not appear to have any fear of the lion and the lion seems calm and resigned (if reluctant) to what she is doing.

Blue hair means the message of the card is spiritual, she has an inner strength and courage. Her hat forms the infinity sign and is topped with yellow points - could this be a crown? To me the most noticable point in this card is her face - she is committed to the act but very calm, gentle and patient. She is disciplined and shows power of will, and ambition. Why is she doing this? She doesn't look as though she is performing but is doing it for herself. The answer is - because she can - she is testing herself.

The lion represents her spirit and intellect, which is tamed by her. There is a sense of trust in the card from the woman and the lion

Moonbow*

Jewel-ry

Well, here we are at strength

S Strength
T Taming
R Resolve
E Endurance
N Noble
G Gentleness
T Trust
H Health or Harmony

HADAR

The lion is subdued without physical force. He is tolerant because he is powerful really, he can rebel at any time. First impressions of this card show our animal masculine side being controlled by our intuitive feminine side. Taming the animal using intellect, keeping your temper and finding another way around a problem. However, strength lies with both the woman and the lion. She has strength because she controls without force and he has strength because he allows her to control, so he has self discipline. There is a connection here. Her open sandal represents openess and understanding. Its mind over matter. She looks to the right, the side of consciousness and will and her face is calm. Her strength comes from inner knowledge, she is thinking.

CRYSTAL

Oooh, this card just oozes confidence and passion. So many yellows, oranges and reds. This woman looks a little pre-occupied. The taming of this beast seems to be natural for her. It takes no effort. The lemniscate above her head definately infers balance, a sort of uniting of the two forces. The two understand what is required of each other. There are sunflowers on this card, as a symbol of constancy, they follow the sun wherever it goes. Its a case of knowing yourself so well that you have confidence in dealing with any external forces.

HAINDL

This card has a raw earthy energy about it. Under a crescent moon, near a pool and a large tree, a woman appears to wrestle a snake. Unlike the other two cards this woman has to put more effort into the task. Wrestling or struggling with a problem? I see endurance and perseverance here. She is naked, symbolising her openess. There is nothing to hide. The snake is green and red, showing a passion for life.

J :)

Major Tom

I always wondered why Crowley changed the name of this card in the Thoth to Lust...

This is another card that proved to be difficult because of my own pre-conceived notions. :laugh:

My first tarot book (I never paid much attention to the LWB) was The Magick of the Tarot by Melita Denning and Osbourne Phillips. Originally published by LLewelyn but now out of print. It's a shame really because the illustrations have stayed with me throughout the years. It is unfortunate that the book does not credit the artist.

One of the illustrations was titled, "The lion becomes her ally".

In my now acknowledged quest to create my own Tarot of Marseilles with the characters in modern dress, I begin, I hope to make some sense of my previous ramblings regarding Strength.

This is the start of the next cycle, that of true mastery.

Attachments

• xi strength.jpg
    xi strength.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 155

galadrial

Blue Rose deck

A rather surreal looking image; this reminds me of the lyrics from a Tourniquet song: "The color grey is real, a shade that you can feel, your world of black and white is surreal." The woman seems to look confidently out a world that likes to seperate physical passion from spirituality and to suppress the former as "black" and to strive for "white". Ironically, it is this world which looks surreal to her, who has ennobled her instincts and energized her higher self by both taming and befriending the Great Cat. Peacock feathers flare up around her head and there is much "peacock blue" in the picture (much more so in the actual card than in the tarotpassages pic). "Pictures from the Heart", by Sandra A. Thomson, says of the peacock, in part, that because of the way its tail feathers spread to form a wheel, and because of its many colors, esoteric tradition considers the peacock a symbol of wholeness. Her head is crowned and her feet are bare. Dominion is enhanced rather than diminished by staying in touch with the earth.

www.tarotpassages.com/PGVIIIa.htm

CreativeFire

Strength

I have been holding off posting this week hoping my Sacred Circle tarot would arrive so I could use it with this card but alas is not going to arrive until late next week :(

Sharman-Caselli & RWS Strength - S-C is very similar to the RWS, with a young maiden in a white dress (white for innocence and purity), with a garland of flowers around her head and waist. Red roses and white lilies - for desire & passion and spiritual purity. She has nothing on her feet - they are bare, touching the earth - like she is grounded, in touch with nature.

She is opening the mouth of a huge, powerful looking lion. It is different to the RWS, where the maiden looks like she is closing the mouth of the lion. She is so petite looking compared to the fierce looking lion - opposites - she shows no fear.

I have always liked this card and it makes me think of your strength within, not your physical strength as she could never physically overpower or control a lion of this size unless it was tame or loved her. The maiden in the S-C is not as serene or calm looking as the RWS. She seems to be working hard at controlling the lion, and this lion does not look as subdued looking as the one in RWS - he is much bigger, full mane, large raised paw.

She would have to have great courage and confidence to deal with such a wild animal - the king of the beasts. Or a lot of determination, patience and resolve to have it trust her - even trust in herself that she has the self-control not to run away - but face her fears, confront her task no matter how hard. To know that about yourself, that you have this inner strength to see the challenges through - managing your emotions, gentle control, but acting with character and determination to endure and triumph without hurting yourself and others.

CreativeFire

allibee

Just a thought for those who mention a woman holding a snake on this card.

Symbolically, the snake is also seen as a sign of fertility, so for the woman to be holding the snake, it could reflect her own power over her fertility. She is in charge of her own procreation ... not another

bit feminist I know, but worth mentioning I think.

Emily

Strength - Morgan Greer

This card has a real feminine feel to it.

There is a yellow sky, mountains in the background, palm trees, other bushes and grass. The only visible flowers are the ones in the woman's head-dress.

She wears a white gown and in her yellow hair is a colourful flower garland. She wears no jewellery and is very pure looking, neither young or old.

The lion looks ready to put up a struggle, he's looking very fierce, teeth and claws showing but the woman has him in a gentle hold, left hand below his jaw, right hand over and around his nose. She isn't forcing his mouth shut but she has control over him. She has a dertermined look on her face. You can see the strength in this card but its not physical, its strength of will.

rcb30872

Using Radiant Rider-Waite

VIII - Strength

LWB

Power, energy, action, courage and magnanimity

My Impressions
In the card there is a lion that has a woman in a white dress, with a belt made of what can be seen as a vine with flowers on it, as well as one goes around her head, as in a chain. From looking at the card, I get the impression that somehow the woman has given the lion some sort of medication in pill form, as she has her hand on the nose as trying to keep the mouth shut and she is stroking the chin as if to get the swallowing reflex of the lion to occur. The mouth of the lion is slightly open and the tongue is sticking out. An odd picture of the struggle my mum used to have with getting one particular family to cat to take its medication springs to mind. It says that even though something can be done that would benefit the cat, the cat doesn't like it one bit and is putting on the biggest struggle ever. So with that it can be considered that there may be situations where someone could be giving you some advice but you are not liking it, perhaps out of pride. So by having said all of this, then it would seem to indicate that when things appear to be getting out of control and you have a crisis of confidence, you need to find the courage and to swallow your pride and ask someone for some help.

Along with that, this card seems to indicate that there would be some trying times that would be difficult for you, but by dealing with these difficulties you would become a stronger person as a result. The phrase "What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger" could quite easily be seen that this refers to this card. Usually the things that are thrown at aus throughout our lives are only things that life knows that we can handle. By handling these situations, not only do we become stronger, but we have more sense of self-awareness.

It can almost be seen that since the lion appears to be that it is in fear may reflect that we all have our fears and doubts about particular things, in particular abilities. The woman in the white dress could be quite easily seen as our spirit, or our higher consciousness, which makes suggestions to us what we can do in regards to new opportunities. Which seems to indicate that the reason why we might not actually do what is suggested is through our own fear and doubts. As the woman appears to be trying to tame the lion, can be seen that another aspect of ourselves can try to soothe these doubts and fears, or at least deal and/or challenge these doubts and fears so progress can be made

Numerological - Eight
Prosperous, strong, powerful, authorative, a leader, abundant, memorable, respectful and happy. The 8 life pathway is concerned with inner strength and power. 8 stands for success and financial gain and may will resonate towards this. They will do well with whatever they choose to take on in life as it is second nature, they are leaders and need to be in positions of authority

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using Golden Tarot of Klimt

XI - Strength

LWB

Spiritual energy, moral strength, clear thinking and determination

My Impressions
Here you have a woman sitting with one hand she is dragging a head by the hair up, it is a woman's head with long hair and the eyes are closed, the hair is covering the mouth and the nostrils. So by saying this it can be seen that it could be an attempt to awaken or an awakening of something that had been hidden. So if that is the case then there would be determination to fully realise what this is, and do the necessary work to make this into a reality, to the point that will not let anyone or anything, including self-doubts, fears and worries to stop you from achieving this.

Other than that, wouldn't know, besides what has been said for the Radiant Rider-Waite

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Astrological - Leo
Leos stamina is generally amazing. There energy levles and endurance often impress others because they seem to move in perpetual motion. Leos generally know what they want, whom they want, and what it will take to get it. They will go to extremes to get what they want and stubborness and one-eyed attitudes help them on their go-getting quest for glory. When they have their heart set on something, they permit no one or nothing to stand in the way for long. This quest to fulfill their desires is often propelled along by their incredible support team of fate, fortune and destiny as much as their good works. They are a stickler for taking command of their life and doing things their way. They hate to have anyone telling them what to do. They earn their success because they put their heart and soul into just about everything they do and that kind of dedication and focus brings its own form of reward. Whether it is warranted or not, Leos truly can show courage under fire, and will risk all to save the day, not just for themselves but to protect, nurture or assist those they truly love. Whether facing the pressure of saving the day or simply getting along in everyday life, they have incredible resilience and survival instincts. Moderation isn't one of their strongest virtues and overdoing everything can take its toll, particularly when they overeat, overwork, overexercise, overspend or party to much. To a Leo, pride is more important than most things and praise ranks right up there, because Leos are always trying to prove themselves. Whether they want to overcome obstacles or upsets, or heal a time of ill health or bad luck, they have the tenacity, ture grit and power to do it. They're great at staying focussed on their most important objectives and when they set out for something they generally get it, one way or another. They're not afraid of facing adversity or difficulties along their way in life.

Bec