78 Weeks: Ace of Batons

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

TemperanceAngel

I am so bad at trying to post attachments, they never work...

If this one does I have scanned in a card from the MODIANO Italian playing card deck. It's amazing I love it!

One of my students gave me this deck, it was her Grandmas who lives in Rome, she used to read with this deck.

The cards are so small and delicate, I love them, a very special gift indeed :)

XTAX

OK, it didn't attach, could someone help me? I can e-mail you the image to re-size....

CreativeFire

Ace of Wands

The Ace of Wands is one of the main cards that I connect to for creative pursuits, particularly new ideas, challenges and projects and often have it out on my altar as inspiration and a focus point when working on different things.

Universal Waite

A hand coming out of the clouds holding an upright wand, with green leaves sprouting. The hand is surrounded by white light and is holding the wand over a landscape scene of a castle in the background, with a river and trees in the foreground.

To me with the wand held in the hand from the clouds, is like when creative inspiration sometimes comes "out of the blue" or just appears as a spin off from something else like a dream, image or your own imagination. With the new leaves sprouting it also reminds me of when you do a "cutting" from a tree or shrub and plant it in the ground to start another tree - makes me think that you can take an off shoot of an idea and make it grow into something else. The leaves falling from the wand also could relate to seeds falling and planting new ideas or new opportunities.

I also think of this card as looking at different ways to approach a project or idea. Using one idea as a bridge to another. I get this visual impression from the Universal Waite image as you could take the wand and place it across the river to make an actual bridge to cross the water to reach the castle (or your ultimate goal or result). Using what tools you have to come up with a way to creatively reach or go further down the path.

Thoth

The Thoth Ace of Wands is a card for me that is just sizzling with energy and fire from within and without - with all the reds and yellows, flames and lightning bolts. I see an incredible amount of energy in this card - energy going in all directions that may need to be harnessed and directed to achieve ones goals.

The flames from inside the wand make me think of the fire within you that gives you the enthusiam, confidence, courage and passion to try new things, start that new project or creative endeavour. I see the lightning bolts or electricity around the wand in two ways - one as a result of the fire within you often "charge" the people or situation around you with renewed energy, excitement and inspiration. I also see it as sometimes outside influences, opportunities or other creative endeavours fire or inspire your own creative fires and imagination. To me this also can work in a circular aspect as well, your inner fire inspiring outside energies, and then the creative energies around you in turn further fueling your inner fire. ;)

I do like this card as you might have noticed - and relate it somewhat to my own name here on the forum. :)

CreativeFire

Major Tom

During this week of study, I've had 3 Tarot of Marseilles versions of the Ace of Batons propped up between my keyboard and monitor, the US Games/Carta Mundi, the Dusserre Dodal and the Lo Scarabeo Burdel. On screen, I've had tiny versions of the Grimaud and the Conver. These were all I was able to find, the pip cards don't seem to get as much attention as the trumps...

For me, the Ace of Batons (wands) has always been about those opportunities that just pop up out of no where - almost always unexpected or un-looked for. In most versions of the Tarot of Marseilles the hand holding a rough cut baton with cut branches bursts through what appears to be a hole in the space/time fabric. The Burdel was an exception in that the hand/baton appear to burst forth from an explosion. :eek: Also with most versions there are elongated shapes floating around the hand holding the baton and again the exception was the Burdel which has flowering branches surrounding. The meaning is the same, a bursting forth of creative energy and a chance to do something entirely new.

In my quest to create a Tarot of Marseilles depicting the characters in modern clothing, it was an easy matter to put a cuff with a button on the hand holding the baton, though it wasn't as easy to draw as I thought it might be. :)

Attachments

• ace of batons.jpg
    ace of batons.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 158

smleite

My sister-in-law is in her last week of pregnancy, and I got this card to represent her! It is so full of life, so green, bursting with nature’s power… and this connection to pregnancy gave me another point of view on the card

TemperanceAngel

Let's see if I can finally get an attachment posted....big big thanks to jmd for resizing :)

Attachments

• ace of wands.jpg
    ace of wands.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 182

smleite

TA, I love that card. Thank you for posting it!

Silvia

rcb30872

Slow but sure, getting there, but not forgotten

Radiant Rider-Waite

Ace of Wands

LWB

A hand issuing from a cloud grasps a stout wand or club
Divinatory Meaning
Creation, invention, enterprise, the powers which result in these, principle, beginning, source, birth, family, origin, the beginning of enterprise, according to another account - money, fortune and inheritance.

My Impressions
The hand holding the wand appears to come out of nowhere or thin air. So, then it can be seen since wands are associated with actions, but for actions to happen in the first place there may seem to need to have an idea, thought or concept to begin with. So, then if that is the case, then what you would expect has come out of nowhere or thin air. Since wands are an action suit, then it can be seen that once the idea, thought or concept has come about, then there would be immediate action to bring about something from that thought, idea or concept. The wand has leaves growing off it as a branch, and there are some leaves that are falling off. So, by looking at that then we can imagine that not only is there something come about due to this action with the thought, idea or concept, there may also be seen that some things have been stopped or been stripped away in a sense. As thinking of it looking at it in that way then that can also be a warning in the sense that perhaps you should let something finish before rushing into something else.

In the background of the card there is a tower, a white ivory tower. Then it can be seen that this action can be seen as bringing about destructive changes as well as needing to break down the walls that keep you imprisoned within your own walls. By the fact that I mentioned that you maybe imprisoned within your own walls, and the Ace of Wands may indicate that you may need to overcome certain restrictions in your life, whether they are the rules that keep you restrained and restricted, or those of that in your mind such as you self-doubts, fears, worries, insecurities and other self-sabotaging thoughts. If you have particular thoughts that you may have difficulty stating things in the first place, or that you are actually quite good at starting things but you stop yourself from progressing along with that to the completion due to fears or failure or whatever, so then it can be seen that you start things but you never complete anything. So you are constantly jumping from one thing to another. Other than that it could be seen that something that you may want to or actually have started may be frowned upon by family, friends, other loved ones, even the general public, even though there may not actually be anything wrong, due to ignorance and misconceptions that due to the convention of society so to speak you are not likely to start or continue on with it.

Due to the fact that this card is doing something without thinking about it too much, then it can be seen that your actions may be done without considering the consequences of your actions. You may do something that may seem like a good idea in the first place, where in reality it is a nightmare in the long run and you may have caused a lot of damage. But, this about doing thing that could be seen as impulsive, adventurous, reckless and spontaneous. It may be that you may have got angry and said or done something which you may later regret. You may lose some friends and in the sense that you have burned your bridges. Sometimes, but not always, these things can be actually better for you in the long run.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Tarot of Klimt

Ace of Wands

LWB

Spirit of initiative, departure, new projects and birth

My Impressions
According to the little white book wands for the Golden Tarot of Klimt deck represents learning and experiences therefore ingenuity and intellectual application. The card depicts a pregnant woman, where she is holding a shawl over her belly with one hand and the other hand it up in the air, and the way the hand is up reminds me of where you may be in a classroom raising your hand to ask a question. The woman has her head bowed down with her eyes closed. Almost contemplative, resting, or at least dreaming about where it is going to take her.

So, the fact that she is pregnant, gives the impression that something has been conceived, and that perhaps the ideas, thoughts or concepts have been acted on, but it is in the "incubation" period. This incubation period can be seen in the vact that it is not the time to do much about it. Since the wands suit according to this deck is supposed to indicate learning thus intelligence and ingenuity, then it can be seen that this is the time that she should be using to gather knowledge and understanding as much about it as she can.

Since the wands is also considered to be related to experiences, and the fact that she is pregnant and at the same time has her head down and her eyes closed may indicate that she is going through a self-evaluation process where she is thinking about the experiences in her life so she has a better understanding of herself. The fact that she is doing this, learning more about herself through her experiences, it can be seen that she would have better understanding of herself and her capabilities. Then, if that is the case, during this time it can be seen, since she is pregant, that this is the time where she can be going through a period of re-birth or maybe at crossroads. By looking at what she has done and achieved in her life, she can see what she is very capable of and what she really enjoys to do, and then from that she can form ideas of what she may want to do as in career, or perhaps even a hobby. Also, in the card, she is standing to the right of the card facing the left of the card, which helps to paint the picture, figuratively speaking, that she is looking at her past to see where that can take her into the future.

The background of the card is green with specks. The green indicates that it could be new growth and a new beginning of something. Green is usually associated with spring and when you say someone or something is "green" then you normally associate that with someone new and inexperiences or something new. On top of that, the specks which are in various colours could be seen as flowers, although they really don't look like flowers. Flowers are usually associated with spring, spring is usually associated with new life and blossoming of flowers. Blossoming usually indicates, in respect to someone, an unfolding of something, something, like spring that is new which is starting to bear fruit, in a manner of speaking.

gregory

Ace of Wands - Revelations Tarot
First impressions

WOW - BURNING !!!!

From the book
Upright

The fires of life are alight around the wand of inspiration. Here marks the birth of all creation.
This card embodies the flash of creative energy that can start a raging inferno. It exhibits the potential that lies in each and every one of us to create, to begin, and to start anew. When drawn, this card reflects upon a passion within us that drives us to take up a new course, join up in a new field of interest, or be inspired to create works of art.
In situations, this card represents beginnings of new projects and inventions that are filled with optimism and energy to continue.

Reversed
The energy of life is blocked, with the inner power difficult to unleash.
When reversed, this card indicates a block in creativity that is difficult to overcome. Life seems stale and stagnant as the inability to create something new begins to wear away any optimism or hope. It would feel like all previous efforts have been in vain.
In situations and relationships, this card reflects this block as a hindrance to further development and fulfillment. This card also warns of delays.

Images and Symbolism
The Latin word adflatus means "breath" or "inspiration." The scroll unfurls as the power of the stone embedded in the wand erupts, causing the energy around it to illuminate. The wand represents the birth of raw energy and creation.
On the reverse, the scroll wraps itself around the stone. The physical blocking of the stone is a metaphorical representation of the lack of access to the inner energies of life and creativity.
Color: red and warm hues, associated with Aries, Leo, Sagittarius, and the element of fire.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Creativity, fertility, originality, intuition. The beginning of something new; a fresh enterprise, the foundation of future success.

Reversed: Impotence, barrenness, sterility, pride, greed, over-confidence ending in destruction.

My impressions:
Upright
A sceptre with a red hot tip is sort of rising out of a furled scroll bearing the word Adflatus (the original name for this deck.) Behind is a swirly orange/yellow/red background – fiery.
Reversed
Similar but different; the scroll is sort of strangling the sceptre; the tip is not red hot – and of course the words are upside down.

My take
Very positive/negative card – live fire versus embers. The upside is dazzling, hot all go. The reverse is – well - dead.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

coyoteblack

78 weeks Ace of Wands Druidcraft

Physical Description:
We have a stag looking over a chasm there is a wands coming from the sun made of Birch. We see the tree it came from across the chasm. There are leaves falling from the sky reminiscent of the yards in the traditional tarot

Major Symbols:
The birch is a symbol of renewal or beginnings and Birth/Death
The Stag (Damh) brings us the qualities of grace, majesty, and integrity, and gentleness
Druid totem animal of Fire and the South
Sun: Source of creative energy, initiative, masculine force.
Yods: I am taking a leap (no pun intended here) of faith and if these are you they stand for the fire and the first letter in the Tetragrammaton

The aces are the “gift” of a giving suit/element
Gift of Ace of Wands you are becoming conscious
Of the energetic and creative potentials available to you, both
in your own soul and in the world around you

Element: Fire, Creative energy, will power, initiative
Season: Summer

Putting it all together
With the Ace, Sun and Stag I think of swiftness creative energy male force
With the Birch tree and new beginnings combined with the stag and sun I can see this card as a new beginning in many possible ventures but some thing you feel like anew calling and the Wand being a phallic symbol this can be sexual passion !!
I see a lot of sexual energy in this card as well more the pagan view and not the repressed sexual desires as being a good thing point of view.

With the Stag and the Number 1 in the Ace and Birch I see this as a very fast card coming into ones life and leaving it at breakneck speed. So go with the flow it to shall pass.

Definitions

Good: New creative energy this a great time so start a new project of consider children with the birch this can be a new beginning or just starting up. .if you are an artist this is defiantly a WOW card.

Bad: Depending on surrounding cards this can be repressed energy fear of change and new beginnings also this can be suppressed sexual energy.