78 Weeks: Three Batons

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Three of Wands

Universal Waite

A man standing, looking out to sea and the horizon, with two wands behind him and one in his right hand (side of action). There are also three small boats on the water.

As the Two of Wands is about making the decision to travel or seek new horizons, the Three of Wands is putting this into action as he is no longer in the confines of the castle and has travelled already to the edge of the ocean. Now he looks like he is planning the next stage of his journey and leading the way to a new adventure.

In readings I have found this card often means a journey of some kind - physical or metaphysical. Willingly and actively setting out and leaving the stable behind to see and experience new things in life's journey.

The colour of the card, with all the yellow in the sky, connects for me to air, thought, planning as well. Also his red travelling cloak - desire, passion for new horizons.

Thoth

The Thoth 3 of Wands shows 3 wands with blossuming lotus flowers at the top of each one. They are all in the same direction but overlapping each other. The colours on the card are orange, red and yellows.

After the Thoth 2 of Wands (Dominion), where it seemed that they were going in two different directions and needed to focus on the same direction to progress. The 3 of Wands shows that they are all now focussed in the same direction and progress is shown in the blossoming lotuses. Also behind the lotus wands there are flames of fire, which connects to the creative energy behind the wands which is now being used together in harmony to begin to thrive and grow in a positive way.

The name of the card is "Virtue" which I do not quite get, but can mean goodness, integrity, uprightness which does make a little more sense to me.

Look forward to reading the other study group posts as they come in.

CreativeFire

Major Tom

When two becomes three

Once again, I've spent the week (slightly more than a week if truth be told) with three different versions of the 3 of Batons from the Tarot of Marseilles propped up between my keyboard and monitor, absorbing the images both consciously and unconsciously.

Having learned tarot with the RWS this week has been a bit of revelation in terms of the meaning of the card. I had learned to associate the 3 of wands with what you get back following the sending out I'd always seen represented by the two of wands. This sense isn't lost with the 3 of Batons in the Tarot of Marseilles but rather seems a bit limiting. If you associate the 3 with the Empress (as I do) together with the meanings of growth and expansion then the 3 of Batons becomes the growth and expansion of activity, thought, creativity and production. An extremely positive attitude is represented by the card. This becomes most dramaticly illustrated when comparing the two with the three. The flowers along the sides of the cards, although similar, are very revealing. The flowers on the 3 are fancier and have more colours.

I attach my version of the Three of Batons.

Attachments

• Three of Batons.jpg
    Three of Batons.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 142

CreativeFire

Major Tom, just wanted to say that I do enjoy seeing your new cards and reading your posts each week. Even though the Marseilles is not a deck I have been drawn to the in the past, and this is probably due to the unillustrated pips that I feel I would not be able to read properly. Therefore I have not commented previously on them, acknowledging my ignorance in regards to this deck.

However after seeing your Two of Wands and Three of Wands, I can sort of relate to them a bit more than I have in the past, partly I think that I can see a sort of connection with these to the Thoth 2 & 3 of Wands that I have been studying as well, but also your explanations are making the pips of the Marseilles not seem so strange to me. Particularly when I look at your Two of Wands, I can sort of see the third wand growing or forming, in its infancy - if that makes sense.

Look forward to seeing next week's card - can't say I am 'converted' to the Marseilles as a deck I can really get into at this stage, but who knows what may happen by the end of the 78 weeks and the completion of your deck! :D

Cheers
CreativeFire

Major Tom

CreativeFire said:
Look forward to seeing next week's card - can't say I am 'converted' to the Marseilles as a deck I can really get into at this stage, but who knows what may happen by the end of the 78 weeks and the completion of your deck! :D

Thanks for this CreativeFire. :) It is my sincere hope that my work will attract more people to the Tarot of Marseille and/or inspire more people to create their own decks as part of their own study.

I have a thread discussing the deck on the Tarot Deck Creation board here.

I also have a website where you can see all the cards thus far here.

TemperanceAngel

Tom, I love this card and the colors!

rcb30872

Radiant Rider-Waite

Three of Wands

LWB

A calm, stately figure, with his back turned, looking from a cliff's edge at ships passing over the sea. Three staves are planted in the ground and he leans slightly on one of them.
Divinatory Meaning
He symbolises established strength, enterprise, effort, trade, discovery and commerce; those are his ship, bearing his merchandise, which are sailing over the sea

My Impressions
It would seem like he has gotten to a certain point, but he is waiting for something, but for what? There are times when we let the circumstances dictate to us what we are what is going to happen, but since this is a wand card, which means it is time for action without giving it too much thought, then this can be considered that it is the opposiet of waiting for something, that we should be making something happen.

Also, often there are times when we let certain things stand in our way to get things moving and happening, usually these are associated with our thoughts and to a certain degree our circumstances, environment and the people we associate with. The thoughts that could hinder our progress and get to the point where we can be considered to be in a state of inaction would be our self-doubts, fears, worries, insecurities and other self-sabotaging thoughts. So in this card could indicate that what you have started could be promising, but you need to pursue it to make something out of in, in other words it is not a time to give up or sit around for your ships to come in. If you wait for your ships to come in, you may feel discouraged at the lack of progress. Where here, it is needed is more action to get your goals closer. Other things that may be the people you are invooved with, whether they are friends, family, work colleagues or other associations may be a negative influence to you, which may steer you from your goal. So, it is a matter of not letting them stand in your way, kindly or maybe not so kindly tell them to get out of your way. Of course, there are other people who be supportive of what you are doing, and will stand by you through the good times and the bad times, also these people may help you along your journey towards your goal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Tarot of Klimt

3 of Wands

LWB

Resourcefulness, cleaning, presicion and well-considered decisions.

My Impressions
A naked woman standing, flowers in her hair, looking a bit stunned, afraid or apprehensive, holding something iwth a handle that can be seen to be a magnifying glass or a crystal ball. There is some bits of blue in the background, which can be seen as swirling, which makes me think of thoughts that are churning around in her head, which makes me think that has stopped her in her tracks and made her think what she is doing is the right thing with the thoughts swirling around in her head. Some of these thoughts would be such things as self-doubts, fears, worries, insecurities and other self-sabotaging thoughts which may be along the lines "Have I done the right thing?" "What if I fail?", well actually a lot of "What if.......?" Since it could be seen that she is holding a magnifying glass would indicate that she is seeing a lot of details, minute details, which is distracting her from seeing the big picture. These detaisl could indicate things like potential pitfalls and problems, which if she keeps focussed on that she won't actually see what is good about it. The saying, I might get this wrong, "Can't see the forest from the trees" would apply here.

Since there are flowers in the card then this would indicate that there has been something come from this, in the sense that something is growing and blossoming. Instead of looking to the future and seeing what needs to be done, and possibly thinking that it is hopeless that you can never achieve this, perhaps it could be a time to see how far you really have come. So, in other words, by looking back you can see what you already have accomplished and achieved with this, and this would help you to feel proud about how foar you have come and will give you the hope to keep going. If you don't do this, then what you need to do will feel rather daunting. Another thing that this card might be saying is that you may find be looking too far ahead in the future it will make you feel that it is impossible, whereas if you break down your goal into smaller, more easily achieved steps, and fous on these instead, then this will make it appear that it would be more achieveable. Another thing, something I like to do, is to just think of one day at a time, as say today or tomorrow, I am going to do this, this and this. That way, the progress you will be making, and the headway you will make or need to make would be more realistic and manageable.

gregory

Three of Wands - Revelations Tarot
First impressions

VERY “cold” fire…. Strange…

From the book
Upright

Effortlessly the energies flow out of their bodies and connect with the rest of the universe.
The Three of Wands embodies the epitome of creative success. Here the ability to bring forth new projects to completion seems effortless. All skills and talents have already been acquired with only bigger challenges to await in the future.
In situations, this card foretells increased profits, new experiences, or mergers with beneficial ties. In terms of career, it tells of new things coming your way and opportunities that can enhance your life.

Reversed
He fails to grasp the opportunity, and darkness and confusion find company in his sorrow.
The reverse of this card plays on the theme of loss. Here the sorrow and pity felt by the individual overwhelms any chance of pursuing paths of creativity. Sometimes your own arrogance and pride can be the impediment, as you could feel that the job is not worth your effort or energy. At the end of the day, opportunities will be lost, leaving only inner emptiness in which to wallow.
In terms of a situation, the reverse of this card indicates failure in projects or partnerships. In terms of the theme associated with threes, the cause of failure can be attributed to being overambitious or plain impracticality. jobs may be abandoned or relationships may not work out.

Images and Symbolism
The three sages have come together in a circle to form a vortex for creation. They channel their energies to the heavens to spread over the land. The image illustrates the level of ease with which the energy of creation flows through their bodies.
On the reverse, the sage is in anguish over his loss of connection with the power within. He loses his grip on the wands for he is blinded by his own pity.
Behind him, the elements are blowing his world apart, creating chaos and confusion.
Color: glowing scarlet and reds, associated with Aries.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Successful launching of a venture. Original ideas finding expression. Inspiration rewarded. Strength from enterprise and effort. Turning dreams into reality.

Reversed: Failure of nerve; pursuit of the unachievable. Lack of communication between imagination and reality. Retreat into fantasy. Grandiose schemes which come to nothing.

My impressions:
Upright
Three robotic looking figures each with a rod stand before a magenta/red/yellow background – it looks like a vortex from which they are rising. They look totally passive. Fire is rising from their heads.

Reversed
A bent, passionless figure is reaching his hand out towards one of three w ands; he doesn’t quite reach it. Behind him, flying debris of some kind in lurid colour.

My take
This card comes over to me as sort of passionless – but perhaps you have to be so to achieve success, at times. All the concentration in the upright image seems to go to the fire from the three figures’ heads. Perhaps it will take all three of them working together to achieve their aim. Maybe it is about co-operation in enterprise ? The reverse image is depressing – total failure to get what you seek….. but also reaching for something you cannot have – unless you look at it in a different way ?

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

coyoteblack

78 weeks 3 of wands Druidcraft

Physical description: A man stands on a hill top leaning on a tree. Next to him on his left is 3 saplings in the ground. Below him is a winding road in the middle of a field. I can not see the beginning or the end.

Major symbols:
The man: Over looking the road can be a brigand looking for a un weary knight or a business man waiting for his caravan to come home.
The road: Possibilities can tell how much is known. But defiantly waiting for something
3 saplings: new energy growth you get the feeling he planted them and is waiting for them to grow.

Days this represents : March 31- April 10th
Traditional Golden Dawn Name : Lord of Established Strength

Element: Fire – Passion, Energy, Commerce , Willpower
Number: 3 – Creation, Synthesis , Binah Supernal Mother

Sphere on the Tree of Life
Sphere 3 Form (Binah). The energy of the Two of Wands has
taken form in the Three as a specific field of endeavor.

Astrology
Sun in Aries. You take charge of the situation (Sun) by taking
direct action to influence events to your liking (Aries).

Bringing it all Together: The man In the picture looking out at the road can be using the waiting on a caravan he invested in to come back Sun, Aries , Binah , fire and the 3 would all agree this is a possible way of looking at it He can use those energies for no good as well.
Also after initial success he can be resting on his laurels ad never progressing to much Aries fire needs to be fed. That road can lead to no where and maybe he can not accept this.

Possible Divination Meanings

Good : You Ship / Caravan is coming in! After taking initial action you investment is just down the road

Bad: Resting on your laurels sometimes the caravan never comes down the road, Plotting your out come no matter the consequences, ( Aries+ Sun on the bad side)

Indifferent: Bide time , waiting for the correct moment after taking initial action.