78 Weeks: Nine Batons

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

9 of Wands

Universal Waite

On this card there is a man standing holding one wand, with eight wands planted upright in the ground. Behind the wands is an open green landscape scene with blue sky and some clouds low on the horizon.

After studying the Eight of Wands last week, my first thought with the Nine of Wands was that the eight wands in the ground are the ones that were flying through the air in the previous card. They are now grounded and have found their destination.

The stance of the man is like he is guarding or on look out. He is not in a fighting stance so it would appear to me that there is no immediate threat. Also with the bandage on his head, he has already fought some battles and carries an injury, and this perhaps makes him wary or cautious of further attacks. He seems to be protecting his creative works or achievements which have been hard won and not without setbacks (injury) but he still shows strength and determination to stand his ground.

Looking at the 'spacing' of the eight wands planted in the ground behind the man, it looks as if the one he is holding could be slotted into the space directly behind him to create a wall of defence if need be. However he stands in front, showing courage to actively defend if need be. I also thought that as he his looking to his right (back towards the 8 and not on towards the 10 - future, completion), that he may also not be able to put his memories of previous struggles behind him to complete his project by placing the ninth wand in its place in the wall of wands.

Looking now at the sky in the background with the clouds low on the horizon makes me think that there may still be some disturbance that needs to be cleared before the sky becomes clear. Also looking at the 9 of Wands and the 7 of Wands, where there were also struggles but you could see the attacking wands, the man in this card is standing on much more solid and even ground (almost like a wall) and a much more advantageous base to defend from, compared to the uneven terrain of the hills and river in the 7 of Wands. The eight wands behind him also makes me think that he has backup or resources that will help him make his stand or defend himself but still have room for retreat through the space directly behind him if need be.

CreativeFire

Fulgour

Wands as Fire betoken Enthusiasm, especially of an inner spiritual nature.
Nine brings us complete Accomplishment and perfection, with the energy to
manifest humanitarily in generous, charitable thoughts, words, and deeds.

Penelope

Chaldean Decanates

The Moon in Sagittarius betokens a vivid inner life,
changing moods, a striving for wisdom, many changes,
and inconsistencies, with thoughts as guides for actions
and optimism and pessimism alternating in phases.

Major Tom

Just over a week late

With my RWS upbringing, I've always associated the 9 of Wands with duty.

The first thing that struck me while studying the 9 of Batons in the Tarot of Marseilles is that (at least in the Dusserre Dodal and US Games/Carti Mundi versions) the card is completely without and additional embellishment - that is - no leaves or flowers, we only have the batons depicted.

My one and only numerology book tells me that the number 9 is about human understanding and completion. I would also associate the number 9 with The Hermit. Thus I would association the 9 of Batons with meanings ranging from working out the final details of a plan or project to showing others how to accomplish a task or even serving as an example. Naturally, it would depend on the surrounding cards in a spread and the nature of the question if there was one.

I attach my own version of the 9 of Batons that I've drawn during this period of study.

Attachments

• nine of batons.jpg
    nine of batons.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 130

rcb30872

Radiant Rider-Waite

Nine of Wands

LWB

The figure leans upon his staff and had an expectant look, as if awaiting an enemy. Behind him are eight other staves erect, in orderly disposition, like a palisade.
Divinatory Meaning
The card signifies strength in opposition. If attacked, he will meet the onslaught boldly. With this main significance there are all its possible adjuncts, including delay, suspension and adjourment.

My Impressions
The fact that he has got a bandage around his head indicates that he has gone through a lot of struggles and conflict to get to where he is now. In some way by looking at the card it may indicate that he is weary and may give up soon. This signifies a time where things may not be going according to his best laid plans, and that he may have taken it too much at heart, and in the process has lost the faith in his abilities. As most things, and as indicated by the fact that he already seems injured or hurt in some way, that these things can be overcome. So in some sense it can be seen that he ahs got this far, why stop now? Since this is a nine card then one can imagine that things have almost been completed and that success, victory and fulfilment is within reach. So if that is that the case, then to give up now would be a disappointment in the fact that you have almost made it although you may not already know, in some sense it could indicate that more struggle and conflict is needed and that you have the strength to do so.

In some respects, since the other eight wands are behind him, what can be done is to actually redirect your attention from what is to come, as in an attack, if there would be one, which in this case may be in a form of a set back, instead of looking at that, look at what you have done so far so you can actually see how you far you have come and what you have already achieved and accomplished.

This card, instead of signifying giving up, perhaps what can be one is to take a break, to spend some time in solitude, to relax, rest and recuperate, to regain strength which is needed for the final struggle. In some sense this card can be compared to the other Nine cards including The Hermit. In which case it may imply a time that is not good for hasty decisions, and a sense of patience is needed. Along with that it is a time to enjoy what you have created, yourself and your environment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Tarot of Klimt

9 of Wands

LWB

Defense of own interests, growth, vigilance and protective instinct.

My Impressions
In this card you have three women, which two of them are sitting in such a way that one of their knees are drawn up to their chest, and their arms are also over their body in a protective fashion, they have long hair which also hangs over their body, they seem to be sleeping. The other one above these other two has her eyes closed, but is stretching, as if is just waking after a sleep. So, this could indicate a time to rest, relax and recurperate and in some fashion to awaken something in yourself that has laid dormant or at least in hibernation.

This could indicate a desire to hide things not only from others, but yourself. It indicates a tendency in hoping and wanting problems and difficulties either to go away or sort themselves out. However, problems and difficulties don't just go away, you may decide to put an end to circumstances and situations, but if this is an ongoing problem, the problem or difficulty will only present itself in another circumstance or situation. In other words, wishing the problem away will not make any difference at all, you need to face and deal with the underlhing problem head on to make the problem go away.

In some indications it may imply that you keep certain things to yourself. You may have problems with your career, your relationships or anything, but you push these problems aside and continue on as if there is no problem at all. It may indicate that these things you keep to yourself may be your fears, worries, anger and grievances towards certain people and situations to yourself, and there is always a desire to keep that impression that everything is alright and rosy, when in fact it may not be.

It could also indicate that your dreams and the endeavours you are working on, such as a creative project or venture, you are keeping to yourself. In some instances it may be a good thing as you may have people in your life who may wish to stop you. But at the same time by keeping things to yourself, you would not be getting any new ideas, advice or guidance from others that are doing the same thing, or people who are like minded.

gregory

Nine of Wands - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
This card feels really CLOSED !

From the book
Upright

He finds the strength inside to carry on with the battle.
This card urges you to fight on, even though you may feel beaten. Once again it asks you to draw on the strength and power you have within to carry on till the end. It suggests that your efforts are not in vain and that your reward is not far off.
In terms of difficult situations, this card advises to fight on once again and to draw on whatever resources you have left. Difficulties may continue to dog your path but your efforts will carry you through.

Reversed
The battle has worn him down and he is close to defeat.
The reverse of this card serves as a warning that you are at your last wits. Your strength has been depleted and your energies run dangerously low. Healthwise, you may feel run
down or depressed, for the difficulties and obstacles you have encountered have been taxing and all-consuming.
In situations, this card warns that the effort you have wasted will get you nowhere. Defeat is a possibility and delays can be expected. It can only advise you to try and rest and to recover what you have left in order to move on.

Images and Symbolism
The dragons behind each character are familiars of each warrior and reflect their inner energies, which are being summoned.
The dragon looks fiercely back, which indicates a defiance. This defiance is required to overcome the situation that has brought the warrior down.
On the reverse, the dragon turns to its side and moves away. The man cannot summon the strength to face the situation, and his face is drained of all energy to continue on.
Color: royal purples and sapphire blues, associated with Sagittarius.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Great strength and stability. Courage in defence; victory in attack. A safe, secur and unassailable position.

Reversed: Obstinacy, inability to compromise, suspicion, lack of adaptability.

My impressions:
Upright
A figure with streaming golden hair and a flowing “scarf”, clothed in lilac, has his hands around a ribboned pole in the position used for punting a boat – one hand above the head, one at chest level. 4 more wands are tied to it in a diamond formation. Behind him a dragon, looking a bit fragmented, and a trial of red pink and gold squares, like sheets of paper.

Reversed
The figure is less secure, and leaning way over to one side – very unbalanced – holding the other end of the same central baton. The dragon behind him looks to be almost upon him; he looks distracted and unaware of this.

My take
Having now looked at upright and reversed images, I see the upright figure as clearly concentrating and this is fending off the dragon – Hard work and determination pay off. He keeps his balance and the dragon is under control
Reversed on the other had, losing your concentration leads to disaster. He will be consumed.

I seem to take the meanings Zach Wong intended from the cards, but I see the dragons very differently; the upright figure fending one off, and the reverse one losing out to it. Certainly it doesn’t seem to be turning away in the reversed image; it looks positively lethal ! But it is again a card dealing with effort, hard work, defiance and concentration paying off – as Wong says.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

coyoteblack

9 of wands DC 78 weeks of study

78 weeks 9 of wands

Physical description:
An older man carrying one spear with is other arm in a sling stands behind 8 spears guarding a pass. The area is desolate almost desert like there is a fire in the background of the card.

Symbols:
Bandaged older man this man has been fighting for a long time he is hurt but still fighting the good fight
Barren land they are has been ravaged this is all about the fight
Fire in the background It shows the fire in his belly and willpower it takes to maintain this and still keep going.

Element and Number
Fire: Passion and willpower
9: culmination and ending

Golden Dawn References:
GD name : Lord of Great strength
Days Dec. 3rd to 12th
Sphere on the Tree of Life
Sphere 9
Yesod. You have almost completed building your “Stairway to Paradise,” which serves as a
Foundation on which you can build your dreams.

Astrology
Moon in Sagittarius. Having invested so much time and energy into cultivating your dreams (Moon), you now go to extraordinary lengths to guard and protect your cherished goals (Sagittarius)

Bringing it all together
Lord of great strength fits this card well this man will continue to fight no matter the odds. The problem arises when there’s noting to fight this person can be defensive. The moon tells me there is some emotions involved the 9 and Sagittarius tells me that if there’s a way to finish this it will be done.

Possible definitions:
Good: Great strength, Willingness to fight till the end, great perseverance
Bad: Defensive, Fighting just to fight
Indifferent: a still time in life. Steadfast

Sulis

Nine of Wands - week beginning 14th March 2011

Nine of Wands - Hoi Polloi Tarot
A man stands before a row of 8 upright wands planted in the ground, they almost look like a fence or barrier of some sort. He holds a ninth upright wand in his hands and he's using it to lean on. He has what looks like a bandage or bandana around his head and he seems to be looking wearily to his right or towards what's gone before.

The number 9
In the number sequence 1-10, 9 is the last of the single digit numbers. In tarot it's related to the Major Arcana card, The Hermit IX.

Nines are about endings or about almost endings. They are cards of assessment where we look back and assess how we've got to where we are now and we also look forward to the next phase. In the tarot deck all of the 9 cards show one person and this ties in well with their link to The Hermit which is a card about finding wisdom and inner peace by oneself without the influence of others.

In the 9 of Wands there is a sense of having to keep going, of being weary and tired, maybe even battle worn but of persevering because the goal you seek is just past that barrier or 9 wands; just over the brow of the hill. This is a card of defending what you've got and of carrying on even if you feel that you've had enough. It's a pause where you can look back to see how you've got into the situation you're in and how you want to continue into the future.

Attachments

• 9 of Wands.jpg
    9 of Wands.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 108

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Nine of Wands

First impressions

8 wands – arrow-like - arranged in a crossing formation (four each side) with a massive sun/moon one up the centre. Each arrow has a moon instead of a point, and fletchings of crescent moons at the base. This is slightly reminiscent of the 7, but the central wand is less disorganised. The sigil of Sagittarius is on the moon at one end of the central wand.

From the Book of Thoth
STRENGTH NINE OF WANDS

This card is referred to Yesod, the Foundation; this brings the Energy back into balance. The Nine represents always the fullest development of the Force in its relation with the Forces above it. The Nine may be considered as the best that can be obtained from the type involved, regarded from a practical and material standpoint.

This card is also governed by the Moon in Sagittarius; so here is a double influence of the Moon on the Tree of Life. Hence the aphorism “Change is Stability”.

The Wands have now become arrows. There are eight of them in the background, and in front of them one master arrow. This has the Moon for its point, and the Sun for the driving Force above it; for the path of Sagittarius on the Tree of Life joins the Sun and Moon. The flames in the card are tenfold, implying that the Energy is directed downwards.

Images and Symbolism
Frieda Harris says in her essays:
Nine of Wands=Strength. Yesod in the suit of Fire. Moon in Sagittarius.
The Wands have become arrows, eight in number, and one Master Arrow which has the Moon for its point, and the Sun for th driving force above it. This card gives the fullest development of the Force in its relation to the Forces above it.
Also:
Nine of Wands=Strength. Moon in Sagittarius. Yesod.
The small wands are the arrows of Diana, the master wand has the moon for its point and the sun for its base. This shows the combined swiftness and heat of fire.
The central wand – says DuQuette – represents the path of Sagittarius on the tree of life, joining Tiphareth (Sun) to Yesod (Moon). The simplest meaning is given by Crowley when he said (in BoT) that “defense, to be effective, must be mobile.” DuQuette says that the strength indicated is the ability to change perpetually.
Banzhaf says that the fact that the wands are transformed into arrows here indicates that they have penetrated from the idea, through the brainwaves of the 8, into the area of intuition. They point downwards as a symbol of integration into the unconscious – the moon – Yesod - is at the base of the central wand. So the card indicates making contact with inner creative power.
The Sun at the top indicates our desire to develop that power.
Snuffin adds that the six flames at the junctions of the 8 wands refer both to the Sun and back to the six of wands, and victory.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman) Strength. Power, health, success after opposition and strife, tremendous force, recovery from sickness, victory after apprehension and fear. Illustrates the aphorism that “change is stability”.
DuQuette
Strength, power, health, recovery from sickness.
Tremendous and steady force that cannot be shaken. Herculean strength, yet sometimes scientifically applied. Great success, but with strife and energy. Victory, preceded by apprehension and fear. Health good and recovery not in doubt. Generous, questioning and curious; fond of external appearances: intractable, obstinate.
Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
A wounded man holding a wand stands guard over the other eight wands. This is the "failure-is-not-an-option," card. Think of climbing flight after flight of stairs to get to the top; you finally stop, panting, and wonder "Will I ever get to the top?" Unlike the Seven/Pents, however, there is no giving up, no going back after all you've done to get this high. You dig deep, find some reserve of energy and keep going.
Likewise, our soldier, wounded and tired as he is, is not going to stop protecting those wands.
Thus, the energy of the wands is invested back into ourselves for that final push. Though we may not know it, this will be our last investment, completing what we set out to create. The card predicts that the querent will get what they seek from the wands, a career goal, leadership position, whatever they've invested their energy into making real. They will, however, feel guarded and wary till it's done. And, like climbing flight after flight of stairs, they might be a little paranoid at this point. They might not believe that all they've invested is about to pay off. Or, like the soldier, they may not be willing to let someone else guard their wands even if they could use a rest.
Which means that this card often comes up for querents who are unable to delegate, worn-out mothers who won't let anyone else, not even dad, care for their baby, directors who won't let anyone else rehearse the actors, etc. The results of this will be seen in 10/Wands. In 9/Wands, however, the querent only needs to be assured that they do have reserves of energy and strength for that final push. Completion of all they've worked for is right there, all they need do is go for it!
My impressions (appearance of the card):
It is startlingly reminiscent of the 7, the more I look at it, but without the violent feel of that card – perhaps because of all the moons ! The crescent moons at the tips of the arrows – which render them effectively useless AS arrows – are striking. The colouring of the background – lighter at the top with the sun, darkening as it moves down towards the moon – is very effective. I have to say it makes me want to move downwards, rather than aspiring to the power of the sun !

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
Complexity, actually. Things that need to be worked through. There is a direction that needs to be followed, but a lot of detail to attend to as well.