78 Weeks: Seven Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

Fulgour

I recently posted this interpretation on another thread,
but since it took me two years to write, perhaps I may
be forgiven if I include it again here:

VII Deniers: "The Turning Point"

Long tedious hours have blunted enthusiasm, dulling anticipation
as imagination fails. The season's labours have come down to a
single, decisive moment of truth. Whether to labour further for
the fruits so nearly at hand but still requiring prudent husbandry,
or forsake as sour grapes such profits in favour of the pleasures
of the immediate gratification available from a too early harvest.

CreativeFire

7 of Pentacles

Finally getting a chance to catch up on posting my notes on the 78 week study :)

7 of Pentacles

Following on from my tangent of different thoughts and approach to the cards, I again joted down some notes relating to a work environment in regards to the 7 of Pents.

As to me this card can be about assessment, evaluation, contemplating next steps - I sort of related this to a work performance review. ;) Acknowledging and recognising what work has been done and how you carried it out. Also assessing how competently it was performed and the results achieved. Perhaps even being rewarded for the progress of work or a project. And then not to forget the other side of any good performance review, the planning or developing a strategy for future work or learning of skills - even a new project possibly, or continuing on with the current project with revised plans or strategies for future growth ;)

On to the 8 of Pentacles :)

CF

gregory

Seven of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
VERY stern. Looks like a mean bank manager…

From the artist’s website:
Interpretation: Upright

He stands and awaits for his work to come to fruition.

reversed
Disappointment ruins his life and anger causes disregard for his work.

symbols/images
The card plays on the theme of waiting, and patiently at it. The card depicts a man who waits with determination for the end result.
The pentacles around him are in flux and have not become solid, they are merely ideas, or ether at the moment.

The reversed man is frustrated and discards his pentacles. The lack of patience on his part has caused him destroy the progress of his work.

Colour: grays, navy blues & draping cloth - colours of Virgo

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Past efforts may be wasted through present inactivity. Swift action should be taken.
Reversed:
Promising ventures end in failure. Wasted efforts.
My impressions:
Upright
A very serious looking man sits with his arms folded. There’s no evidence of money; there are a few hazy pentacles in the blue background. He is playing some kind of waiting game.
Reversed
This man has his arms flung wide; one fist clenched; he looks desperate and furious.
My take
Upright – someone who has invested his money, perhaps, and is waiting for it to bear fruit,. Something of a miser, perhaps – but not unpleasant; he just takes his money very seriously. Of course, investments can, as they say, go up as well as down, but he seems prepared to wait it out until things are settled to his advantage. The reversed image, however, shows someone furiously angry – perhaps he has already invested and chased in at the wrong time, or has lost all his resources through investing badly. He has no patience, and he is livid. Perhaps if he had waited, things would have turned out OK – as it is, it is too late; he has destroyed everything; he knows this and is angry at everyone else; he doesn’t see that he has brought it upon himself. He just wants to hit someone. It won’t help.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Seven of Disks

First impressions

Seven discs are arranged symmetrically against a backdrop of blue leafy branches. Each bears a symbol – four have bulls - for Taurus, and three Saturn. The sigils of Saturn and Taurus are shown top and bottom.

From the Book of Thoth
THE FOUR SEVENS

These cards are attributed to Netzach. The position is doubly unbalanced; off the middle pillar, and very low down on the Tree. It is taking a very great risk to descend so far into illusion, and, above all, to do it by frantic struggle. Netzach pertains to Venus; Netzach pertains to Earth; and the greatest catastrophe that can befall Venus is to lose her Heavenly origin. The four Sevens are not capable of bringing any comfort; each one represents the degeneration of the element. Its utmost weakness is exposed in every case.

The Seven of Disks is called Failure. This suit gives the extreme of passivity; there is no positive virtue in it below the Abyss. This card is ruled by Saturn. Compare it with the three other Sevens; there is no effort here; not even dream; the stake has been thrown down, and it is lost. That is all. Labour itself is abandoned; every thing is sunk in sloth.

FAILURE SEVEN OF DISKS

The number Seven, Netzach, has its customary enfeebling effect, and this is made worse by the influence of Saturn in Taurus. The disks are arranged in the shape of the geomantic figure Rubeus, the most ugly and menacing of the Sixteen. (See Five of Cups.) The atmosphere of the card is that of Blight. On the background, which represents vegetation and cultivation, everything is spoiled. The four colours of Netzach appear, but they are blotched with angry indigo and reddish orange. The disks themselves are the leaden disks of Saturn. They suggest bad money.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Seven of Disks = Failure. Netzach in the suit of Earth. Saturn in Taurus.
The Disks are arranged as in the geomantic figure Rubeus. This card represents enfeeblement and blight.
Also:
Seven of Disks = Failure. Saturn in Taurus. Netzach.
The disks are in the geomantic figure Rubeus. They now represent only the one planet Earth and are engraved with the signs of Aries and Saturn. The conception suggests the binding conditions of earthly life.

DuQuette says that it presents an image of cold stark beauty and that that is the best thing that can be said about it. The coins suggest bad money. They do ? I don’t know enough about geomancy to be upset by the arrangement of the coins forming the figure of Rubeus, but that is supposed to be ugly and menacing. DuQuette adds helpfully, “When the Seven of Disks shows up in a tarot reading, you better hope your question was ‘What’s going to happen to my worst enemy?’”
Snufffin also points to the malignancy of the Rubeus figure. So I googled:

Latin for "Red". The figure is an overturned glass; an inversion, meaning good in all that is evil, and evil in all that is good. Like the Tail of the Dragon, the figure is considered so unfavourable that if it were the first in a reading, the reading would end. Astrologically it is associated with Scorpio and Mars retrograde; its inner element is ruled by air, and its outer element ruled by water. It represents passion, deception, violence, and vice. Its planetary intelligence is Graphiel and its spirit is Bartzabel; it is associated with the god Mavors, and the angels Samael and Barbiel. It is associated with the reproductive and excretory systems along with the genitals.
In geomancy, Rubeus is a dark and multifaceted figure. Associated with Mars and thus with violence and warfare, it is associated with danger, addiction, passion, aggression, and lust (on many levels).
OK – but still…
The stamps on the discs refer to the slow-moving and material nature of Taurus and the slow and restrictive nature of Saturn, leading to stagnation and inertia. Life depends on change, which is why the vegetation is dying (would that not also indicate the cycle of life, and therefore be less negative ? Saturn also represents the influence of AMA, the Dark Sterile Mother, who has here defeated the fecundity of Venus.
The circles surrounding the discs are faded red and blue (masculine and feminine) stifled by olive and brown – the colours of Tarurus in Yetzirah and Assiah.
Banzhaf refers to a blue violet shadow world , where a black plant skeleton produces the seven leaden death discs of Saturn, symbol of calamity without end. He also says it forces us to perceive our own unloved dark side, where we encounter the effects of our own actions, including those of our omissions. “An example can be seen in the form of current environmental problems.” That I found interesting…

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman) Seven of Disks: Failure. Labor abandoned. Sloth. Unprofitable speculation. Promises of success unfulfilled. Hopes deceived. Disappointment. Little gain from much labor. Well-dignified: Delay but growth. Honorable work undertaken for the love of work with no expectation of material gain.

DuQuette
Unprofitable speculation nd employments; little gain from much labour.
Promises of success unfulfilled. (Shewn, as it were, by the fact that the rosebuds do not come to anything.) Loss of apparently promising fortune. Hopes deceived and crushed. Disappointment, misery, slavery, necessity and baseness. A cultivator of land, and yet a loser thereby. Sometimes it denotes slight and isolated gains with no fruits resulting therefrom, and of no further account, thought seeming to promise well.

Rosebuds ? What rosebuds ?? – and then we are referred back to the Golden Dawn design for the card: “…a hand appears holding a rose branch. There are only five buds, which overhang, but do not touch the five uppermost discs.” OK – but I am not sure drawing that in to discussion of a card where they are not actually shown is strictly relevant…
Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
SEVENS
The fives were about instability and loss, losing momentum, losing love, losing an argument, and losing money. The Sixes restored harmony with their give and take. Now comes the Sevens. Seven is a magic number, a number of creativity and individuality. You might want to stay in the comfort and company of the Sixes, but challenges are a part of life, and we often have to face them on our own.
As with the Chariot, the Sevens require that you take control in a tough situation, manage your responsibilities, and find a way to succeed. One constant is the paradox of the chariot, a card that should be about movement, but is pictured at rest. Likewise, the driver of a chariot never moves. He holds fast to the reins and stands still there in the car. It goes from one point to the other at his command, but he, carried along within, remains steadfast.
In the Sevens, that is the most common way to succeed. Remain steadfast within. Thus these cards offer you a chance to show not only what you've learned and retained from your trials, but how well you deal with the unexpected.
Seven of Pentacles
A farmer leans on his spade gazing at pentacles that grow on a bush like fruit. He has done all the work, planted, planned, toiled. Now, all he can do is wait. And wait he has, for so long that he's growing impatient. He's beginning to doubt that the fruit on this tree will ever be ready to harvest and sell.
In all four Sevens, the challenge presented cannot be won unless the querent is determined to succeed and will not let himself give up. The challenge in the solid, earthy Pents emphasizes this the most. Sometimes called "Failure" this is a card where one's patience is beginning to wear thin. You may be tempted to announce that it's all a failure and walk away. Or, weary of waiting, you could make a mistake, assume that the fruit is ripe when it's not.
This is an especially hard card (and challenge) for someone who has been out of work for a while, or has been trying to get back their health. They have to be told that, hard as it is, they must extend their patience. They must also be careful to recognize real opportunity from false opportunity. It's all too easy to act out of frustration, thinking that doing anything is better than doing nothing.
But acting out of frustration can lead to failure. Real opportunity is on its way. Hang in there and use all you've learned to recognize it when you see it.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
According to everything I have read, this is supposed to be the darkest and most depressing card in the deck. I can’t get that. I love the colouring, the blue leaves, supposed to indicate decay and death – they just look blue to me. In the garden, decaying foliage isn’t blue, after all. The coins may be “leaden” but they are beautiful. I think it is a stunning card. I may be insane… but how to read it, therefore ? I ran it by someone else, who said it was rather William Morris-y, and would make good wallpaper… but they did say it was less pleasant than most.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
Having read everything I have on it, I would have big trouble here. But everything is dragging DOWNWARDS rather, and the background is blue, so I think probably as depression and the weight of the troubles of the world… But I still think it is beautiful !

jackdaw*

Seven of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
Patience. Caution. Slow and steady. This is what the Seven of Pentacles makes me think of when I see it. When I first started studying the Lenormand, the Tree reminded me of this card. The idea of slow and steady growth, of returns and results showing only as time goes by.

I don’t think this is a negative card on first impression, but nor is it a very exciting or upbeat one. Look at the face on the figure. Patient, resigned, downcast, maybe a little exasperated. “Come on already!” But knowing that some things can’t be rushed. Anything he does or doesn’t do now won’t make things happen any faster. The seeds have been planted - literally - and now it’s time to just sit back and wait patiently (or not) and wait for them to come to fruition. It‘s almost there, and the long wait to get to this point shows in his expression. His hair is dark and shaggy, disheveled, and his mouth is downturned.

He’s dressed like a peasant, a yeoman farmer, in blue sleeves and hose underneath an orange jerkin with a white rim or collar. His short boots are orange too. At least, they are in some colourations. In others one is orange like his jerkin and the other is more of a brown. A trick of the light, as if one is discolored by the shadow of the bush nearby? He’s leaning with both hands on a hoe, hands folded one atop the other on the end of the handle, and looks as though he’s stooping slightly in the process of resting his chin on those hands; this emphasizes the idea of the stooped and weary posture, the back bent in toil. His feet are planted far apart on improbably pale blue vegetation over the brown soil, and there are purple mountains in the far distance. It’s a colorful card.

The main focus of his gaze is the bush or shrub beside him. Covered in wide flat leaves (like grape or pumpkin leaves?) and standing up to about the height of his bent head, six large golden pentacles the size of dinner plates grow all over it. A seventh is on the ground, between the man’s feet.

Overall my first impressions are of weary patience, of rest after long toil but knowing that there will be rewards in the long run. Now he just has to wait for it.

But what’s with the boots?

Creator’s Notes
The Pictorial Key to the Tarot says of the Seven of Pentacles:
Waite said:
A young man, leaning on his staff, looks intently at seven pentacles attached to a clump of greenery on his right; one would say that these were his treasures and that his heart was there.
Not quite right, as the seventh pentacle, the one on the ground, looks to me to have escaped his notice. I wonder if there’s something in that. I doubt it’s there because Pamela ran out of space to cram it into the shrubbery with the rest.

The second part of Waite’s description is really interesting. That his heart is on the shrub, with the treasures that grow there. To me this ties it somewhat to the Four of Pentacles, in which the central figure clung so tightly and possessively to his pentacles. But in this case, for the Seven, it is his treasure, and his heart, because of the work that has gone into it. Because of all that he has invested in getting them to this point. We don’t necessarily see that in the Four, just that the pentacles are dear to him - whether due to their financial value or because of any sentimental attachments, we don’t know. Maybe it follows from the Seven? Maybe after all that toil and hard work, he goes on to cling tightly to the newly harvested pentacles?

Others’ Interpretations
Waite defines the card as:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: These are exceedingly contradictory; in the main, it is a card of money, business, barter; but one reading gives altercation, quarrels--and another innocence, ingenuity, purgation. Reversed: Cause for anxiety regarding money which it may be proposed to lend.
These interpretations, I must say, leave me cold. So I went back to the first place I ever looked at the Rider Waite Tarot, ten years or more ago now.

Joan Bunning, in her online Learning the Tarot course, has some interesting perspectives on this card:
Bunning said:
On the Seven of Pentacles we see a man who has labored long and hard in his garden. The foliage is full, the blossoms are out - it seems that his work has paid off. Now he's taking a break to admire his handiwork. How satisfying it is to see such fine results! How rewarding is sweet success!

The Seven of Pentacles is a time-out card. It represents those moments after a rush of activity when we stop to catch our breath and look around. The man in the picture has paused to contemplate the fruits of his own labors, but he could also pick that fruit. In readings, the Seven of Pentacles can indicate a reward that will come your way, particularly as a result of your own efforts. Take it and enjoy.

This card is also a call for assessment. When we're busy, we don't always have time to reflect on what we're doing and why. Are we still on course? Are we getting the results we want? Serious problems can develop if you don't take stock at key moments. In readings, this card suggests that you take the time to be sure you're meeting your goals.

The Seven of Pentacles can also indicate a crossroads. In life, there's a tendency to continue with familiar routines. To go in a new direction isn't easy. The Seven of Pentacles may be telling you to figure out if you need a course correction, or even a complete about-face. You're not yet committed to a certain path, but you could be soon. Change is still possible.

The Seven of Pentacles is not a card of endings or final decisions. The game is not over, but only on hold for a moment. Once you've gotten your breath back and checked your strategy, be ready to jump back in and work even harder than before.
I see this, Bunning’s interpretation, as saying that the Three of Pentacles is a parallel to the Four of Swords. The suit of Swords deals with difficulties, so the Four is a time of rest and respite in the midst of trouble or struggles; the suit of Pentacles deals with work, so the Seven is a rest after heavy labour.

Symbols and Attributes
From an astrological standpoint, the Seven of Pentacles is represented by Saturn in Taurus. Saturn is an orderly planet, carrying a careful and structured influence that deals with time (see its mythological connection to Kronos), management and preservation of material resources. Combined with the fertile and grounded Earth-based energy and determination of Taurus, we see that careful maintenance in physical matters requires great effort and determination, but yields great results. In its own good time.

Elementally the suit of Pentacles is linked to the stolid and practical Earth element, dealing with physical matters such as work, growth and possessions. The number seven is a number of rest and reflection, of having or regaining control. In this respect, it underlines the Seven of Pentacles’ role as depicted here. This is a time when there is nothing for the farmer to do but rest, and wait for his labours to bear fruit. It is important to note that the Golden Dawn title of this card is “Lord of Success Unfulfilled”; it hints as discouragement rather than patient resignation.

Also consider that the Sevens in the Minor Arcana are linked to the Chariot, the seventh trump in the Majors. On first glance there seems to be little in common between the exotic and exciting Charioteer and the boring and bored farmer. But the Chariot is about willpower and confidence, and what can be accomplished when it is exercised. In the case of the Chariot is manifests as victory, as conquest. In the Seven of Pentacles it bears more literal and prosaic fruit.

The central image on the card, the human figure, appears to be a farmer or peasant, a man of the land. Such people are traditionally practical and full of common sense, keepers of tradition. They toil on land that has been passed down from father to eldest son for generations, and for the most part worked the land much as their fathers and grandfathers have done before them. So in this card he represents not just tradition but also cycles. Farming is a cyclical activity, following a regular pattern throughout the seasons. It’s not work that can be rushed. No matter what you do, the potatoes have to grow before they can be harvested; they can’t be planted too early no matter how hungry you are; nor can they be harvested early. The farmer is well aware of this; note the resigned expression on his face, the way he looks at the greenery.

He wears the blue of reflection underneath an orange tunic. Orange is a colour of determination. So we could see the farmer’s clothing as illustrating how his focus on the end result, his emphasis on the harvest, as eclipsing all else. He is reflective, true. But it is bent toward his labours, focused downward to mundane matters.

Notice how the farmer’s boots are mismatched. They are identical, but of two different colours. Sometimes this is very apparent, in other printings of the Rider Waite Tarot you have to look for it (as I had to in my own deck, the pocket Rider Waite). One is the same orange as his clothing, the other is more of a brown shade. Brown is an earthy colour, indicating groundedness and the potential for growth. As it seems highly unlikely that this was accidental on the part of Pamela Colman Smith or the printers, it must be assumed to be a deliberate choice. It’s been discussed to death on the forum as to what it means. Some have suggested that the orange of energy and confidence as opposed to the brown of matter and growth represents having one foot, as it were, in the realm of the mind and one in the realm of the mundane. Add the blue of the spirit and we have the mind, body and spirit all rolled into one. Unity, roundedness in the one figure.

But why are they two different shades in the first place? If having all three colours was so important, wouldn’t it have looked better to have the boots both be brown and the jerkin orange? So there must be some symbolism behind it. Umbrae gave a hint once about it, about a Masonic ritual that entailed removing only one shoe. So I did some digging around online, and found quite an interesting article on the Masonic Dictionary regarding the ritual of Discalceation.

Apparently it derives from the Book of Ruth in the Bible, wherein wealthy landowner Boaz (!) removes one shoe and therefore - obscure though it seems to me - buys back Naomi’s family land.

Ruth 4:7-8 said:
Now this was the manner in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbour: and this was a testimony in Israel. Therefore the kinsman said unto Boaz, Buy it for thee. So he drew off his shoe.

Wikipedia says that the Boaz in this story, who later marries the widowed Ruth, is not the same judge Boaz for whom the pillar of Solomon’s Temple is named, but it’s an interesting coincidence given the Masonic ritual. The article on the Masonic Dictionary website gives some explanation of the verse:

www.masonicdictionary.com/discalceation said:
“Redeeming” here means the taking back or recovery of land or property pledged for a debt;

“changing” refers to the transfer of ownership. As both were then, as now, matters of importance, it is evident that the plucking off of the shoe, as a pledge of honor and fair dealing, was of equal importance, comparable with our swearing to our signatures to documents before a Notary Public.

Note that “to confirm all things a man plucked off his shoe. . .” not his “Shoes.”

Taking off one and handing it to him with whom a covenant was made was a symbol of sincerity. Removing “both” shoes signified quite another thought.
So if I understand it correctly (which I freely admit I may not), Boaz took off one shoe to show that he was sincere, that he was affirming his truthfulness and honour in restoring Naomi’s land back to her line. In the case of the Biblical story, Boaz married Ruth and through some odd wheelings and dealings his and Ruth’s son was somehow declared to be of the line of her late first husband so his lineage would not die out; so the land remained in Naomi’s line. I don’t get it. But that’s beside the point. So if it is translated ahead to the Masonic ritual, removing only one shoe and not the other is like swearing an oath, pledging faithfulness to the oath and the grade and the Masonic lodge in general.

The article goes on to say:
www.masonicdictionary.com/discalceation said:
The Rite of Discalceation - from the Latin, “discalceatus,” meaning “unshod” - is world wide.

[… as the website doesn‘t go into detail of the rite itself, I skipped on down to the end of the article …]

A man removes his hat upon entering a home, in the presence of women, or in a church, not as a symbol of humility, but of reverence. The worshipper removes his shoes on entering a holy place for the same reason.. He who walks “neither barefoot nor shod” offers mute testimony - even though, as yet uninstructed, he knows it not - that he is sincere. Who walks with both feet bare, signifies that he treads upon that which is hallowed. - Source: Short Talk Bulletin - Apr. 1933, Masonic Service Association of North America
So not only is it one of Waite’s throwaway Masonic references, of which he was so everlastingly fond, but it is a testament to the farmer’s respect for the work he does - what is the traditional Irish blessing called out to farmers? “God bless the work”, isn‘t it? - and the sincerity of his intentions.

But enough of the blesséd shoes! On to the focus of his attention, the pentacles that grow on the bush before him. The leaves are broad and shaped vaguely like grape leaves or perhaps pumpkin. Pumpkin leaves would match better with the size and shape of the Pentacle-fruit, but grape leaves would better correspond to fruitfulness and abundance.

The six pentacles still on the bush seem to be haphazardly arranged, but it has been suggested that there is a method to the madness:
The overall shape of the pantacles on the mound resemble that of the Sephiroth on the right side and center of the Tree of Life (Kether, Tiphareth, and Yesod in the center - Chokmah, Chesed, and Netzach on the right.) The lone pantacle could be said to be Malkuth, or quite possibly Daath.

Now, I intend no disrespect to RChMI at all, but I don’t see it. Not really; the lines aren’t as clear as I would need to view it that way - but then, not being too conversant in Qabalah as perhaps I ought for something like this, I would need to be hit over the head with it to notice it myself. The central pillar, the three pentacles nearest the left-hand frame of the card, are straight and neatly spaced out enough for me to agree with it. The right-hand pillar is a little more organic, and I can’t quite see it. But for the sake of argument let’s say I see it completely. What does it mean? Just another one of Waite’s references to the Tree of Life? Doubtful. Rather than look at the fact that only two-thirds of the Tree of Life are present, let’s look instead at what isn’t there. The Pillar of Equilibrium and the Pillar of Mercy are there. The Pillar of Severity isn’t, or at least it’s offscreen. So that puts a much gentler spin on the image, that there’s no room for severity, for harshness here. To be a farmer, to show a yield for his efforts, he must be kind on himself as well as on the land. I mean, farming and this sort of (often thankless) toil isn’t soft and cushy, it isn’t that there’s no severity to be found, but I see it as meaning that things can be cruel enough (late frosts, blights, poor prices for crops) without beating yourself up about it all on top of it.

And what of the single lonely seventh pentacle on the ground? From a practical standpoint I wonder if the farmer had already cut that one away, and found it isn’t ripe, isn’t ready for harvesting. Oh well, one wasted. But the others are still ripening, and he just has to be more patient. Wait a little longer.

Another possibility: as it’s on the ground, he isn’t looking at it, it’s not in his sights. Perhaps in his focus on what’s still in the offing, on what’s not ready yet, he isn’t paying attention to what is ripe and ready. Perhaps he wouldn’t look so resigned, so downcast, if he realized that at least one of them is ready, that his labours are about to be rewarded.

The background of this card is fairly unexciting. Ubiquitous gray sky. But there are also far-off purple mountains, representing a quest for esoteric and spiritual knowledge. But it’s well in the distance; something for another day, perhaps when his work is done here.

My Interpretations
This is always a card of patience for me. It shows that there is always a need to take your time, that the best things, the richest harvests, are worth waiting for. If it isn’t ready now, if you have to hold your horses and wait, don’t beat yourself up about it. Patience, and delicate plants, are best in gentle and forgiving hands. I would also see it, if it applied in a reading, to refer to natural cycles. To everything happening in its own good time. Because some seasons can’t be rushed; no matter how empty the belly or how long the time, if a crop is to be planted in the spring and harvested in the autumn, then that’s the way it’s got to be. And there’s no two ways about it. So the Seven of Pentacles would indicate to me a somewhat fatalistic perspective, that you have to let things happen when they’re supposed to happen. And that may lead to impatience and resignation, but there’s not much that can be done about that beyond simply accepting it. Whether you like it or not.

After going into the significance of the mismatched shoes and all the Masonic stuff, I gained a new perspective on the card as well: that of honest, sincere effort, or a person whose intentions are well-meaning and honest. The image of the honorable and weatherbeaten man of the land.

From a practical standpoint, it is about an effort whose payoff has been a long time coming. And the person in question has a lot of time and energy devoted to it. Perhaps to the exclusion of all else. And now, after all the time of waiting has seemingly come to nothing, or at least no results yet, he begins to question whether it was worth it in the long run. Don’t despair, it will pay off.