78 Weeks: Five Deniers/Coins

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

Fulgour

The following link will provide a striking portrait of the
legendary "Johnny Appleseed" looking for all the world
like a living breathing 5 of Coins ~ oops, Pentacles...
and maybe with a touch of Le Fol, sans a wooly pal.

Johnny Appleseed - John Chapman

CreativeFire

5 of Pentacles

Continuing on the 78 week study (still running a bit behind schedule ;) )

Five of Pentacles

I decided to try something a little different this week to keep the study interesting for me ;) and thought about a specific situation in life that you could associate the 5 of Pentacles with. Of course this is not the only situation or interpretation of the card but just expanding on one of the thoughts I had for the week.

Being in a difficult situation, experiencing hard times, confronted with financial or material struggles, feeling alone and excluded I felt could be related to separation or divorce in a material sense. You may leave or lose your home, security, circle of support that you have worked for and built up over time - suddenly being faced with the harsh reality of being out on your own again (and often with young children to care for), can be a very difficult thing to face let alone resurface from. A time when you may feel that there is no where to turn for help because the severing of familiar ties or maybe sometimes from pride or even fears of rejection. It may be that you just need to ask or look around and see that help maybe there to bring you in out from the cold. Sometimes in the obvious places, sometimes in places that you would least expect or have not connected with for a long time. :)

I also then further connected this theme to flowing on to the 6 of Pentacles - the giving or receiving of material assistance - but will leave that one for later.

I look forward to readings others thoughts and notes from the 5 of Pentacles or on my scenario ;)

Attached below is my version of the card.

cheers
CF

Attachments

• pents5.jpg
    pents5.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 136

gregory

Five of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
This is a beautiful but painful card…

From the book
Upright

Poverty and self-pity plague his existence. He lies there in woe and grief.
Poverty and difficulty lie on the road ahead. Financial struggle will be experienced, along with a change of lifestyle. Making ends meet will be difficult, and managing funds will be a daunting task. Physically, you may be starved of comfort of many forms: love, food, clothes, or even pleasure.
When reflecting on situations, this card foretells difficult and tight times ahead. Low budgets, alternate avenues, and even abandonment may be paths that have to be explored. In relationships, this card highlights the lack of comfort and wealth shared between partners or those involved. A deprivation and starvation of pleasure or physical proximity can lead to a falling-out or arguments between couples.

Reversed
Poverty may have taken its toll, but there is hope if he pulls himself out of the situation.
There is light at the end of this dark tunnel. You will be coming out of a period of hardship and suffering, but there is hope that will bring you back on your feet. Soon you will pull yourself out of the gutter and stand back on your own two feet, ready to face the world once again.
This card reflects on situations of dire loss and difficulty. The time will come soon when the pain of failure or abandonment can be left behind and a new path or project can begin. Insolvent or bankrupt companies or individuals will be able to pick up the pieces and start again. Broken relationships will be forgotten and life will carry on. The pain may never go away, but the lesson will be learned.

Images and Symbolism
The colors of this card are less than luxurious. This emphasizes the absence of the wealth and comfort depicted in the rest of the suit. Destitution plays a major role in this card.
The anguish and loss of energy and drive is accentuated through the poses of the impoverished bodies on this card.
Color: somber and cold tones, earthen hues; colors of Taurus.

Traditional meanings
Upright:

Financial collapse, loss of security, material handicaps. But fresh opportunities await discovery. Do not despair.
Reversed:
Bankruptcy or other great loss which could have been avoided.

My impressions:
Upright
A circle of silver pentacles on a purple stained glass-like background. On the top a man is balanced precariously. His expression is desperate. He can’t hold on much longer.
Reversed
Because of the arrangement of the pentacles, the man in the reversed image has two to balance on, and he looks far more secure. He is waving to someone over his shoulder.
My take
Upright all seems to be lost. There seems to be no blame attached; the man looks wretched rather than wicked. Really bad luck, I’d say. Loss of money, security – everything. Reversed doesn't look that much better – but at least there is the chance of holding on; there may be hardship coming, but it won’t be “terminal” – something can be salvaged.
This card really startled me. We are so used to the RWS image of the poor orphans in the snow outside the rich man’s window that this came as a real shock. Most of the cards in this deck seem to have something of tradition about them – I am not sure why this one comes over as such a stand-out from the rest…. I’d be interested to know if it gets anyone else that way.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Card name: Five of Disks

First impressions

Four circles in dark green, connected by smaller circles at their centres, each bearing a symbol. There are rays of light behind them. The disks are so large that they spread off the edge of the card. Sigils of Mercury and Taurus.

From the Book of Thoth
THE FOUR FIVES

In the “Naples arrangement”, the introduction of the number Five shows the idea of motion coming to the aid of that of matter. This is quite a revolutionary conception; the result is a complete upset of the statically stabilized system. Now appear storm and stress.

This must not be regarded as something “evil”. The natural feeling about it is really a little more than the reluctance of people to get up from lunch and go back to the job. In the Buddhist doctrine of Sorrow this idea is implicit, that inertia and insensitiveness must characterize peace. The climate of India is perhaps partly responsible for this notion. The Adepts of the White School, of which the Tarot is the sacred book, cannot agree to such a simplification of existence. Every phenomenon is a sacrament. For all that, a disturbance is a disturbance; the five of Wands is called Strife.

On the other hand, the Five of Cups is called Disappointment, as is only natural, because Fire delights in superabundant energy, whereas the water of Pleasure is naturally placid, and any disturbance of ease can only be regarded as misfortune.
The Five of Swords is similarly troublesome; the card is called Defeat. There has been insufficient power to maintain the armed peace of the Four. The quarrel has actually broken out. This must mean defeat, for the original idea of the Sword was a manifestation of the result of the love between the Wand and the Cup. It is because the birth had to express itself in the duality of the Sword and the Disk that the nature of each appears so imperfect.

The Five of Disks is in equally evil case. The soft quiet of the Four has been completely overthrown; the card is called Worry. [See Skeat, Etymological Dictionary. The idea is of strangling, as dogs worry sheep. Note the identity with Sphinx.] The economic system has broken down; there is no more balance between the social orders. Disks being as they are, stolid and obstinate, as compared with the other weapons, for their revolution serves t9 stabilize them, there is no action, at least not in its own ambit, that can affect the issue.

WORRY FIVE OF DISKS

The Number Five, Geburah, in the suit of Earth, shows the disruption of the Elements, just as in the other suits. This is emphasized by the rule of Mercury in Taurus, types of energy which are opposed. It needs a very powerful Mercury to upset Taurus; so the natural meaning is Intelligence applied to Labour.

The symbol represents five disks in the form of the inverted Pentagram, instability in the very foundations of Matter. The effect is that of an earthquake. They are, however, representative of the five Tatvas; these hold together, on a very low plane, an organism which would otherwise disrupt completely. The background is an angry, ugly red with yellow markings. The general effect is one of intense strain; yet the symbol implies long-continued inaction.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Five of Disks = Worry. Geburah in the suit of Earth. Mercury in Taurus.
This represents the five Disks in an inverted pentagram. The general effect is one of strain, yet the symbol is long-continued inaction. Its natural meaning is intelligence applied to labour.
Also:
Five of Disks = Worry. Mercury in Taurus. Geburah.
Five disks in an inverted pentagram. They are surrounded by other disks which are bent and torn by strain. The picture shows suppressed action and the binding of celestial forces to mechanical purposes.

What look like five disks are actually overlaid gear wheels. They are arranged as an inverted pentagram indicated by the form of a drive belt, and each is marked with one of the tattva elemental signs: fire (red), water (silver), air (blue), Earth (yellow) and spirit (black.) Spirit is added from the elemental symbols of the four, where only four elements are shown. Spirit is at the bottom – suggesting that it has been degraded. Matter triumphs.
Banzhaf says that the five elements are clamped together into a nightmare, bringing feelings of meaninglessness to the surface. This he suggests indicates a inner fear for which there is no solution.
Snuffin says that the disks are gears bent and torn by strain. They don’t’ look that damaged to me, but they do look jammed, as he also says – the machinery is jammed and work suspended. The speed of Mercury has run up against the slowness and solidity of Taurus – strain and conflict. Water and air colours are represented, but there is no red or green for fire, to give energy to break the cycle. (As I see the disks as green, I have trouble with this…! but the point behind it holds.)

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Worry. Intense strain with continued inaction. Loss of money. Profession. Monetary anxiety. Poverty. Well-dignified: Labor. Land cultivation. Building. Intelligence applied to labor.

DuQuette
Loss of profession, loss of money, monetary anxiety.
Loss of money or position. Trouble about material things. Labour, toil, land cultivation; building, knowledge and acuteness of earthly things, poverty, carefulness, kindness; sometimes money regained after severe toil and labour. Unimaginative, harsh, stern, determined, obstinate,

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
FIVES
As fours were about stability and maintaining what you have built up, the fives are about instability and the loss of at least some of what you have. Five is the number of severity and fear but also strength. Hence, it's no surprise that the Fives seem to pose both a severe problem, and a way to escape the fear felt at facing that problem.
Dealing with this upset in the development of our passion, emotion, idea or work humbles, teaches and matures us. It isn't a pleasant experience, and our pride, especially, is likely to suffer, but it does strengthen us.
Five of Pentacles
Five of Pentacles
Another famous card. Two poor folk sit outside a church with five pentacles on its stained glass window. This is a card that predicts loss, financial loss, bad luck, a set-back in health. It is a difficult time, as all fives are. The poor folk feel embarrassed by their poverty, but they are too proud to ask for help, preferring to rely on each other rather than begging alms from the rich church.
This card relates as well to the Hierophant's emphasis on community and social norms. In some views of the card those out in the storm have chosen to be out there. The "church" disapproves of them or their relationships and rather than conform to traditional standards, they stay outside. Similar to the other fives, there is, once again, the issue of pride and humility.
The problem, "How can I survive this impoverished time without surrendering my pride?"
The answer: "You have to reconsider your values."
While those in this card may have lost material things, even the respect of society, they still have each other. Such times teach us who our real friends are, who is honestly generous, and what really matters to us.
When times are good again, we will remember what we learned in these hard times and not be fooled by sham friendships or capricious social regard. We will know who and what we can really trust.

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
It looks strained. It also reminds me very much of some surrealist art – can I find the painting I have particularly in mind – can I hell… It is either Ernst or Magritte… Sort of almost like a tortured face. With a screaming open mouth… I wish that hadn’t occurred to me now. It also looks a though it is exploding. The tattva symbols I did recognise from seeing Yeats’ tattwa cards in Dublin. It is interesting that this – tortured – card ADDS spirit where the four only had the more concrete elements – and places it so low. Adds to the general gloom.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
I wouldn’t see it as a positive card, in any way. I’d say there was almost unbearable stress and the querent was at risk of snapping in some way. I’d say try your very hardest to get out of whatever situation you are in before that happens.

jackdaw*

Five of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
I have a reluctant fascination for this card. Perhaps it’s a little perverse that I tend to look for the card that so identifies with material troubles, with poverty and misery and being out in the cold, given some of my own experiences. If I were superstitious I might think that my draw to this card has drawn these factors to me! But that may be putting the cart before the horse. Whenever I would do a reading in my earliest Tarot days, it was quite frequently regarding material matters, especially employment and finances. Will I get the job? Can we afford X? That kind of thing. So whenever the Five of Pentacles came up in a reading I was grimly amused. Ha ha, I guess the answer is no! And it got to be a recurring theme, something I came to look for.

There’s something very melodramatic about this card. Bad enough that the weather is bad and it’s snowing. But the people are poorly clothed and shod, and sick, and sad, and one of them is crippled and on crutches, and they’re out forlorn and lost after dark and every door seems to be shut to them. A little over-the-top, the pathos and wretchedness. And over it all, the beautiful stained glass window shining out as if to really rub it in with its hint of light and warmth.

I really like the Universal Waite recolouring of this card, showing better the glow of the window and better delineating the people against the backdrop. But in the original (rather than Original!) Rider Waite, the effect of the snow against the black walls has an almost sketchy effect that I think shows the figures not to their best effect. At first I didn’t like that effect, thinking it due to poor printing. But now I like it; it seems to underline the self-centred unhappiness, the desperation, the feeling of unreality (“this can’t be happening to me”) that the couple in the card must be feeling.

The woman is leading the way. She’s taller than the man, although she walks slightly bent over as if walking into the wind. She wears an orange shawl that is patched and torn in places; it’s over her head as well, and she clutches it tighter around her at the throat. Beneath it she wears blue and green rags, and her feet are bare. There is what seems to be a bandage partially wrapped around one foot, although it’s partially obscured by the snow that reaches her bare ankle bones. Head down, she seems sunk in her own misery.

The man at her heels is in even worse shape. He is shorter or at least further bent over due to the necessity of the crutches on which he leans. One foot is heavily bandaged, the other is wrapped in a rag. He also has a bandage wrapped around his head, and I wonder in some colourings of this deck if he is blind in one eye. His clothing is, if anything, even more ragged than the woman’s, and is primarily in blue and yellow. The most eccentric aspect of this guy is that he wears a bell around his neck on a cord or chain, like a cat who’s prone to chasing birds at the feeders in the yard. It’s odd. As he hobbles along he raises his head; I’m not sure whether it’s toward the window above them, or just raising his gaze heavenward in exasperation at the whole situation.

The window is brilliantly coloured, especially in constrast against the bleak black and snowy wall. It’s deep-set into the wall in a gray frame like a picture, and is in bright colours. Five large golden yellow pentacles grown on a stalk of the same colour (reminds me of the Eight of Disks in the Thoth deck, really). It’s surrounded by green leaves or grass, some blue that seems to hint at water, and the uppermost pentacle is flanked by two gray structures that recall the blocky towers on the Moon. The whole window is framed by alternating bars of red, blue and yellow colour. Other than this window, there is no apparent break or opening in the black wall behind the people.

Creator’s Notes
Waite says of this card:
Waite said:
Two mendicants in a snow-storm pass a lighted casement.
Well, whoopee. Not too illuminating, is it? But a couple of things are interesting about this very terse description. First is Waite’s use of the word “mendicants”. Because that does have a somewhat different connotation than “beggar”. Wikipedia says:
wikipedia said:
The term mendicant (from Latin: mendicans, "begging") refers to begging or relying on charitable donations, and is most widely used for religious followers or ascetics who rely exclusively on charity to survive.

In principle, mendicant orders or followers do not own property, either individually or collectively, and have taken a vow of poverty, in order that all their time and energy could be expended on practising or preaching their religion or way of life and serving the poor.
So if I take this correctly, Waite is saying that these miserable people choose to be beggars? Poor, cold, likely hungry? It’s an interesting nuance to this card, and one that bears looking into later. The second interesting point is his use of the word “casement”, which I take to mean just any old window, and not that of a stained glass window in a church. We have always assumed, it seems, that this is a church the beggars are passing without hope of shelter or assistance. But is it?

Others’ Interpretations
Waite defines the card as:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: The card foretells material trouble above all, whether in the form illustrated--that is, destitution--or otherwise. For some cartomancists, it is a card of love and lovers-wife, husband, friend, mistress; also concordance, affinities. These alternatives cannot be harmonized. Reversed: Disorder, chaos, ruin, discord, profligacy.
I don’t know if I agree with the assessment of “some cartomancists”, although I have heard this before as well, that it’s a card of marriage. But in so many interpretations of this card, note how the afflicted parties are a couple, not a lone person. I guess this is the poorer of “for richer, for poorer”. I see the Rider Waite version as a couple who are stuck in it together, but each sunk in their own private misery. Not like the Morgan Greer card, wherein one poor and cold person is physically comforting the other. More on that later.

Under “Five of Coins” on Wikipedia, this card is interpreted as:
wikipedia said:
This card suggests a grim and hard situation, a quagmire which the subjects won't soon be out of. You may be ambivalent, trapped in indecision, and feeling left out or shut off, but determined.

The church windows imply charities and hopes, difficult to satisfy, but still worth fighting for. The right figure pictured isn't obviously friend or foe to the man on crutches, suggesting an uncertain relation. Obviously someone is in need of help, and you will be either drawn or repelled by someone or something in slow degrees. The bell around the crippled man's neck means the issue is insistent, and though you may want to ignore it, you should not, cannot, because ignoring only worsens a problem of severity.

This card foretells of material trouble above all, whether in the form illustrated, that is, destitution, or otherwise; it is also a card of love and for lovers — wife, husband, friend, mistress — showing a state of concordance and affinity between the two figures.

Symbols and Attributes
From an astrological standpoint, the Five of Pentacles is ruled by Mercury in Taurus. Taurus the Bull is a stolid, stubborn Earth sign ruled by Venus, and is also associated with the Hierophant in the Tarot‘s Major Arcana. Mercury, however, is a planet of fast action and communication. Astrology really isn’t my strong point, so I went Googling to find out what this combination might mean.
astrology.about.com said:
When Mercury is in Taurus, the mind slows down to take in sensory perceptions. Those with this fixed earth Mercury in the natal chart build up impressions carefully. They speak slowly, often choosing each word like a mason chooses bricks for a foundation. What this Mercury loses in speed, is made up for in thoroughness. They want a solid grounding in what they're experiencing -- often in a hands-on way -- as they shape perceptions.

[…]

Mercury loses its restless edge, and becomes mesmerizingly grounded in Taurus. They speak with the authority of earthy wisdom, a knowing that comes from leaving no stone unturned. Their words come out full-bodied, rich, and rooted in the real world. They can be no-nonsense, which saves them time in the long run. They're not fantasizing about what could be, because they're enmeshed in what is. Sometimes this locks them into safe boxes, where the unproven or new is treated as suspect. […]
The bolded emphasis above is mine. Because before that point I had trouble relating the commendably cautious and weighted approach of Mercury in Taurus to the miserable scene in the Five of Pentacles. But I wonder now about the unproven or new that is treated as suspect; does that encompass the possible shelter they pass by? Is their suspicion of the new or unproven the cause of their current situation? Pentacles, as ever, are Earthbound and so relate to physical, material and financial matters. Fives introduce an upset to the stability of the Fours. Putting this all together I infer that this stubborn inflexibility, this suspicion of that which is novel or untried has left them ill-prepared to deal with this recent upset in their fortunes. And so now they’re out in the cold. Literally. No wonder the Golden Dawn titled this card the Lord of Material Trouble.

The pair of miserable, sick, cold and likely hungry people are beggars, or as Waite has it, mendicants. Now mendicants has a different connotation, but if we look at them as mere beggars, we are basically referring to people who have hit rock bottom from a socio-economic standpoint. In earlier Tarot decks such as the Tarot de Marseille, le Mat was depicted as a beggar. In his case it was somehow liberating: “freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose”. But I get the feeling that these poor tattered wretches don’t see it that way. Sandra A. Thomson likened them to the myth of the gods Jupiter and Mercury coming to earth disguised as poor travellers and finding all doors but one closed to them. Waite refers to them as mendicants, as spiritual individuals who deliberately humble themselves as a way to forsake the material world and humble the spirit. But if that’s the case, I don’t see these two as achieving much in the way of spiritual enlightenment from the experience. Their faces are sad and helpless instead. They wear shades of orange (creativity, authority) blue (emotion, spirituality) and yellow (intellect) and green (growth; also the colour of Venus and Mercury). But I see precious little evidence of any of these. Maybe that’s why the colours and the clothes themselves are drab and tattered. Their misery and poverty eclipses all chances to expand and grow spiritually and intellectually. What was it Frank McCourt said in ‘Tis that his father had taught him as a child? “After a full belly, all is poetry.” The couple’s poverty, their unmet physical needs, pushes everything else to the background.

The woman seems more unhappy than physically uncomfortable. She makes me think of someone so sunk in her own private miseries that she is unconscious of the world around her. She is wallowing in her problems, and is focusing on them rather than on actually improving her situation. She doesn’t seem to be aware of her traveling companion, or the light from the window behind her. Her head is covered as if to shield herself from the elements and indeed the world.

The man bringing up the rear hobbles along on crutches and a heavily bandaged foot. We can liken this to shaky footing, a precarious grasp on the situation. The man is physically and emotionally crippled, so hindered by the present state of affairs that his forward motion is impeded. Because as slow and laborious as their movement is, it is still a valid point to note that they are moving forward. Sunk deep in misery though they are, they are seemingly looking for a way out of it, a way forward. Because the upset of the balance that is Five is only temporary - an unhappy interlude between the stability of the Four and the harmony of the Six.

He does seem marginally more aware of what’s going on than the woman; his head is raised as if he’s hesitating, about to say, “Hey, look, a window. Do you think we could knock on the door, get out of the cold … ?” But he doesn’t. Or at least his words are being disregarded. It’s as if his confidence, his assertiveness is also crippled. His head is bandaged, perhaps indicating harm or muffling to his mental faculties. I wonder if the intellect is subjugated to the current situation, that he is not using his mind to its greatest potential and this is contributing to or exacerbating the situation.

The man wears a bell around his neck, as if he were a cat. In medieval times this was apparently a common device of beggars, who would ring these bells to attract attention to themselves and their plight. Makes me think of street buskers playing their guitars on busy corners, or Salvation Army Santas at Christmas. It’s also been pointed out that lepers would ring bells to warn healthy passersby of their approach, and even criminals were sometimes required to do the same. Of course, bells are also rung in some rituals, to banish unfavorable influences, so it may be an attempt on the part of the man wearing it to change their ill fortune.

Overall it’s as if the man is aware of the situation, and would change it if he could. He looks for a way out, he notices the possibility of succour from the window, he girds himself with a bell to attract attention or change his luck. But the woman, she’s so sunk in her misery she doesn’t see any of this, or try to make things better. It’s as if she is clinging to her situation, embracing it, not allowing anything or anyone to help her or make it better.

The window itself is interesting. The way it’s set in the wall is as if it is a picture in a frame. The five pentacles grow on a stalk like ears of corn, branching out on either side. It’s easy to assume that once again Waite is sneaking a Tree of Life schematic in there. The pentacles on either side of the stalk represent the pillars of Mercy and Severity, the central stalk the middle path of equilibrium or balance. Now, I know next to nothing (yet) about Qabalah and the Tree of Life, but it’s a little interesting that the central stalk is bare yet culminates in a crowning pentacle. LRichard made an interesting observation about this earlier this year:

[…]I think it is significant that the Pentacles are arranged in the configuration of the first five Sephirot in the Tree of Life (rather than in the usual multiply symmetric pattern of the Five of Pentacles). This will be the Tree of Life in Asiah, the world of action, since the Sephirot are Pentacles . The top Sephirah, the Crown, would then probably be represented as visible light, as in the Sun-Crown in the Temperance card, on either side of which are the two mountains (instead of towers) between which the path of balance passes.

But it’s also as if the bulk of the growth, the plant, is underground; it’s hemmed in by greenery and it isn’t until the topmost part of the window that light and the towers that flank it are visible. So it’s growing toward the light. The topmost pentacle, the Crown as LRichard puts it, breaks the surface and emerges into the brilliant light of an Eastern sunrise framed by the towers. The towers, with the light in between, reminds me of those on Death, and the Moon as well. It underlines the duality and hence the pillars on the Tree of Life, but also kind of frames the way “into the light”. Into the rising sun, into rebirth and new chances. They just have to look up to see it, to traverse the ominous path between the two towers, to walk that fine line between Mercy and Severity. They’re already moving forward, so that’s half the battle.

There’s been much debate as to what the window itself, as a window, actually represents. It illuminates without actually warming, and may or may not be a church window, that said church may or may not be shut to the paupers … they point out that if it’s a church then there’s no door. No way for the people to find the warmth or comfort they need. But is it even a church? Waite never says so, one way or the other. He just calls the window a “casement”, which could be a church window or a fancy window in a home. And of course there must be a door; if not in that expanse of wall, then around the corner. But the couple don’t see it. We aren’t even sure if they are looking for it. The window shines over the couple, it casts light if not warmth or comfort. But they are blind to its beauty, to its possible comfort. So focused are they on their misery, their own needs, that beauty, illumination, faith are lost on them. If they did find the door, if they did knock to seek entrance and shelter, would they get it? We don’t know. This card is a snapshot of an instant in time, we don’t know what has happened before or what happens next.

This is listed as one of Pamela Colman Smith’s stage cards. But it’s the subtlest one of the lot; I’d never have picked up on it without it being pointed out to me! The way the snow drifts against the black wall of the building behind the couple seems to suggest the drape of theatre curtains. So whatever is the backdrop for this scene is yet to be revealed. Would it show what is really behind the stained glass window? Would it show that the window is in fact just a prop, a picture in a frame? Or would it indicate that the pair’s problems are of their own devising? Who knows? We will have to raise the curtain and find out. But past experience with stage cards might lead me to conclude that much of their misery is for show; that it’s in their own heads or of their own making.

My Interpretations
First and foremost, this is a card of material woes. Of being poor, hungry, cold. And when this card appears, it seems that these troubles eclipse all else. No chance of deriving comfort from one another, from faith or beauty. The whole world focuses on the cold feet, the empty belly. The unpaid bills or the empty fridge. When it appears, this card advises to keep on going, slog through it. There are brighter days ahead, you just have to get through this one. But don’t be a martyr: you don’t have to go it alone. Beware of clutching your miseries to you too tightly and making them worse than they actually are, be prepared to look for help and to ask for help.