The Book of the Law Study Group 2.33

thorhammer

Verses 19, 27, 33 and 45 mention dogs or a dog. The overall theme of the "dog" verses is that a God (me, you, having realised our divine potential and nature) is asynchronous with the notion of "Because", which implies Reason.

There's something terminal about Reason. It has a start, and a finish, a logical progression. But because it ends, it is death (II:45).

Musings, don't mind me.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

Hmm, so it would seem that God is unreasonable. Or would ireasonable be better?

thorhammer

I think irreasonable (though it's not a word it damn well should be!) is a good way to put it, G.

And not necessarily "God" - or not as I see it, anyway - but rather, a God ;)

A god has no reason to be godlike; it just *is* so. The Will has no reason to express itself; it just does so.

\m/ Kat

Yygdrasilian

What the Tortoise said to Achilles

To Mega Therion said:
“...while all Trances are Destroyers of Knowledge -- since, for one thing, they all destroy the sense of Duality --they yet put into their Adept the means of knowledge. We may regard rational apprehension as a projection of Truth in dualistic form; so that he who possesses any given Truth has only to symbolise its image in the form of Knowledge.

This conception is difficult; an illustration may clear its view. an architect can indicate the general characteristics of a building on paper by means of two drawings -- a ground plan and an elevation. Neither but is false in nearly every respect; each is partial, each lacks depth, and so on. And yet, in combination, they do represent to the trained imagination what the building actually is; also, "illusions" as they are, no other illusions will serve the mind to discover the truth which they intend.

This is the reality hidden in all the illusions of the intellect; and this is the basis of the necessity for the Aspirant of having his knowledge accurate and adequate.” - Little Essays Toward Truth
As an activity humans engage in, defining ‘knowledge’ tends toward infinite regress, as there is always someone who requires further precepts before accepting given conclusions. We may choose to agree upon Practical Criterion for knowledge proven by its applicability, but this is of an order different than that of Knowledge composed on a cosmological scale. The former demonstrates its use in day-to-day activities, while the latter imbues One’s universe with meanings obtained from the formulation of broader context: cognitive maps whose inspiration run the gamut from applied science to mytho-poesis, reason to imagination.

Ataraxia (ἀταραξία), according to some skeptics, is the pleasure attained through sincere ambivalence regarding dogmatic concerns - a way of making peace with the impossibility of Knowledge without denying the applicability of knowledge. One may appreciate the utility of such an approach when immersed within a culturally diverse environment, but is this merely blissful ignorance predicated on suspending the act of judgment in perpetuity? If the only other option were intolerance (ethnic, religious, intellectual or otherwise) then we might make a case for remaining stupid and happy. Yet, to truly attain a sincere ambivalence demands more than burying one’s head in the sand - an approach more akin to apathy than ataraxia - it requires direct experience of those trances which ‘destroy all sense of duality.’

To attempt description of such dissolution runs contrary to the experience itself as the act of description struggles to rationalize a mode of awareness where Reason breaks down - besieged by all contradictions inherent in each proposition to such degree that every effort to maintain a logical grip on the phenomenal world produces the very thing best suited to undermine it with greatest immediacy. To suffer this is the greatest challenge anyOne ever faces for it risks their very hold upon self-identity should, falling down into the pit called Because, they perish with dogs of Reason.

Where a11 sephirot are One, Knowledge cannot exist. Truth, perhaps, but not of a sort that could ever convince another who has not yet beheld it themselves - a Truth which allows for ataraxia with an ambivalence most sincere.

My own impression is of Light being projected into Time from its’ point of contact with a hyper-dimensional PortaL coinciding with the Eye of our mutual Illumination...

...but that’s impossible, isn’t it?

127 : 73

Probie

Okay, quick off-subject but didn't want to make a thread over this. Reading Liber Al for first time in bound, red, 2004 copy by Weiser. Intro part, page 17 Crowley says "Magick". Is that short for his work on "Practical Magick & Theory" (or something close to that)?

Grigori

Probie said:
Okay, quick off-subject but didn't want to make a thread over this. Reading Liber Al for first time in bound, red, 2004 copy by Weiser. Intro part, page 17 Crowley says "Magick". Is that short for his work on "Practical Magick & Theory" (or something close to that)?

I would assume so, "Magick in Theory and Practice", also known as Part 3 of Book Four (Liber ABA).

Probie

Grigori said:
I would assume so, "Magick in Theory and Practice", also known as Part 3 of Book Four (Liber ABA).

Cool, got that big book like Monday or Tuesday in the mail. What others do you suggest? I got a rash of them, but not sure if I missed any?

Probie

I see that "Because" is capitalized before this (2.33) like a proper noun (i.e., a name). Before all these series of one-liner verses, some were pretty lengthy paragraphs. Kind of gives the feel that the explanation has happened and now action is being taken (cursing or dismissing or a call to action to ignore) - something like that?

In 2.27, Because is a pit where the dogs of Reason dwell. Then it seems more like a pit like Chronos' mouth (right name? one of those early Greek gods who'd eat the children so they went down into the abyss). Maybe a danger of being swallowed up by Reason?

In 2.30 it seems Will stops short of doing what is necessary "Because" and then there's no "doing" of "what thou wilt." So Reason/Because can become a barrier to Will.

Just some thoughts. Wanted to look at near context for clues.

RaySusilo

According to the New Comment by Crowley:

New Comment said:
This is the only way to deal with reason. Reason is like a woman; if you listen, you are lost; with a thick stick, you have some sort of sporting chance. Reason leads the philosopher to self-contradiction, the statesman to doctrinaire follies; it makes the warrior lay down his arms, and the lover cease to rave. What is so unreasonable as man? The only Because in the lover's litany is Because I love you. We want no skeleton syllogisms at our symposium of souls.

Philosophically, 'Because is absurd.' There is no answer to the question "Why." The greatest thinkers have been sceptics or agnostics: "omnia exeunt in mysterium"," and "summa scientia nihil scire" are old commonplaces. In my essays 'Truth' (in Konx Om Pax), 'The Soldier and the Hunchback,' 'Eleusis' and others, I have offered a detailed demonstration of the self-contradictory nature of Reason. The crux of the whole proof may be summarized by saying that any possible proposition must be equally true with its contradictory, as, if not, the universe would no longer be in equilibrium. It is no objection that to accept this is to destroy conventional Logic, for that is exactly what it is intended to do. I may also mention briefly one line of analysis.

I ask "What is (e.g.) a tree?" The dictionary defines this simple idea by means of many complex ideas; obviously one gets in deeper with every stroke one takes. The same applies to any "Why" that may be posed. The one existing mystery disappears as a consequence of innumerable antecedents, each equally mysterious.

To ask questions is thus evidently worse than a waste of time, so far as one is looking for an answer.

There is also the point that any proposition S is P merely includes P in the connotation of S, and is therefore not really a statement of relation between two things, but an amendment of the definition of one of them. "Some cats are black" only means that our idea of a cat involves the liability to appear black, and that blackness is consistent with those sets of impressions which we recognize as characteristic of cats. All ratiocination may be reduced to syllogistic form; hence, the sole effect of the process is to make each term more complex. Reason does not add to our knowledge; a filing system does not increase one's correspondence directly, though by arranging it one gets a better grasp of one's business. Thus coordination of our impressions should help us to control them; but to allow reason to rule us is as abject as to expect the exactitude of our ledgers to enable us to dispense with initiative on the one hand and actual transactions on the other.

http://hermetic.com/legis/new-comment/

Well, reason is inferior to knowledge by personal experience. Any reasonable language is eventually impossible. Connecting the dot with another verse, which is I.4, I find that because every number can be made infinitely complex by adding a dot and an infinite number of zero, then I guess Math also had their irrational side. The way this is so, language eventually cannot be rational without implying the existence of another concept that are already known in the mind.