Tarot Spread Survey

VGimlet

1. What spread do you use the most?
Three-card spreads. For others; past, present, future. For my daily draw; morning, afternoon, evening.

2. How many spreads do you know by heart?
Probably 35 total - 25 of which are variations of the three card spread.

3. Do you think it is important to have a variety of spreads for reading? No, I think you could read with the same spread every time. However, I feel using different spreads once in a while stirs up the intuition. Sometimes I don't use a spread at all.

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
No special spreads.

5. What is the most useful spread you have?
Three-card and it's many variations.

6. What defines a useful spread for you?
Something not too big, so you don't wander around trying to figure it out for an hour before you can start reading. One that has a pattern.

7. Where do you go to find new spreads?
Here (AT), books, make them up.

Dragon Rider

Celtic Cross and 3-card spreads

Around 20, but I use only around half regularly

3. Do you think it is important to have a variety of spreads for reading? It depends on who you are reading for and the question that is asked. I use the spread that I believe is most apt for the question and also understandable to the querent/seeker.

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
Nope.

Definitely the Celtic Cross and the 3-card spread. Very versatile and covers a lot of ground.

Something not too big, so you don't wander around trying to figure it out for an hour before you can start reading. One that has a pattern.

Here (AT), books, make them up ---> same here

binds_fading

As of late the spread that I've used the most is an 8 card relationship spread with a basic 5 card spread falling in at a distant second
I know about half a dozen by heart I believe. I don't got to use my tarot cards nearly enough.
3. Do you think it is important to have a variety of spreads for reading?
I do there there is an importance to it. Not ever person wants the same answers by using the same spreads. If there something being asked that I can't answer with a spread that I already know, I'll look for one better suited for the situation.
In a short answer, no. I'm more inclined to use a seperate tarot deck for myself and only myself.
Honestly, with the people that I know, it's been the relationship spread. The next one would be the Celtic Cross spread for a very general and broad reading.
All it really has to do is work for it to be useful to me. If I find that I can get accurate readings based on the spread and it's answered the question of the person I'm reading for I'm very satisfied.
The first place I look for a new tarot spread is here. If I don't find what I'm looking for I'll do a quick look with google, and if I still am not having any luck, I'll make a spread.

Jeanette

EITHER THE CELTIC CROSS, OR A 3-CARD
MAYBE ABOUT 5
I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON YOUR STYLE! EVERYBODY SEEMS TO ANTICIPATE THE CC THAT I READ FOR, SO THAT PLUS A 3-CARD IS SUFFICIENT FOR ME!
NO
THE 3-CARD, YOU CAN MAKE IT MEAN SO MANY THINGS!
I GUESS FLEXIBILITY AND EASE OF INTERPRETATION
AECLECTIC TAROT SITE, BOOKS, INTERNET

ArwenNightstar

I can't express how thrilled I am that y'all are all answering this way. Thank you so very much for the help!

dajeeps

Modified Celtic Cross, single and 3-card. I arrange positions 7-10 under the cross to get a better view of their relationships between past and present.

About 5

No. I draw additonal single cards for clarity if needed.

I rarely read for others, but do not do anything differently when doing so.

My modified celtic cross.

One that has enough cards to provide a good context, but that doesn't have so many that the overall meaning is vague.

I don't really need new spreads.

Elly Magritte

Three card spread with different questions depending on the topic, generally a spread isn't the same twice.

Generally I stick to three cards or a single draw.

3. Do you think it's important to have a variety of spreads for reading?
I think it's important to have the right question(s) in mind, I prefer questions rather than spread position.

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? Spreads you only use for others?
I don't really read for others but I like a three carder all the same :) Maybe for each query.

Depends on the context but I like three cards all the same!

6. What defines a useful spread to you?
One that's simple and inspires me all the same.

Every spread is new! I have looked at the ones on AT (I like the Fairy Tale ones ArwenEvenstar :)) and tried a few.

Arcana XV

3 card spread mostly. It's very versatile and can pretty much fit any question or situation.

About 10 or so.

I think so. Many of them have come in handy depending on the questions asked. If the 3 card spread doesn't go in depth enough I have a whole bunch of other spreads to use, most of which I created myself.

Not really. I use the same spreads on myself I use for others.

They're all useful in their own way, but the most useful one I would say is my Two Paths spread, it's very helpful in deciding which way to go when life throws two choices our way.

A useful spread for me is a spread that provides clear insight into the situation without needing to draw additional cards for clarification.

I usually make them up myself, but sometimes I come across really cool ones on message boards or books.

rachelcat

ArwenNightstar said:

Ok, here we go!

1. It doesn't really have a name--an 8 card circle with 2 in the middle.

2. About 6.

3. I don't really use a variety. I usually think along the lines of small (3 cards), medium (a 5+1 card star), or large, (the aforementioned 8+2 circle or 10+1 card Tree of Life).

4. Nope, I usually stick to the usual suspects. I tend to use the larger ones for me, since I have plenty of time to read for me!

5. Probably my patented (just kidding!) Practical Tree of Life.

6. A useful spread covers many aspects of an issue: the querant, other people, state of the issue, potential outcome, and advice (among other things!).

7. I make them up, usually based on some esoteric something-or-other: Tree of Life, Wheel of the Year, astrological houses, chakras, etc.

Hope this helps. Let us know when your article is published!

Vetch

A nine card spread called... what do I call it, actually? "Himmelsrichtungen" ("sky directions" -> the four points of the compass) or "Elementelegung" (Elements spread). It's based on Carol Bridge's Medicine Wheel.
It is the only spread I use.

Um, this one and the Celtic Cross, which I never use, though.
I am not sure if I really know the Celtic Cross... it's been so long.

Not for me.

No. Always the "Himmelsrichtungen".

Lemme think... "Himmelsrichtungen"?
Yea, actually, I'd say "Himmelsrichtungen". :D

A spread that's useful for me must be one I understand, of course, without having to look anything up in a book. It must be adaptive, it should combine spiritual and mundane levels, and I want the pattern to look pleasing to my eyes.

I used to find them in books and make them myself, until I got the one I use now, which works fine. :) I believe that if I ever should need a new spread it would present itself to me.

[I don't know, perhaps my sticking to only one spread has something to do with the fact that I am a capricornish capricorn (sun, mercury, moon, AC).]