Tarot Spread Survey

tabi

ArwenNightstar said:
Ok, in the hopes of generating another article for either the ATA Quarterly or the ATA Tarot Reflections, I have the following questions for y'all. This is for those that read with spreads. For those of you who don't read with spreads, I'll try to do another survey.

So I'm a little late, but better the never right?

ArwenNightstar said:
1. What spread do you use the most?

mostly Whole Person and Celtic Cross

ArwenNightstar said:
2. How many spreads do you know by heart?

two, which may explain why I use them the most. I'm not counting the basic one and three card spread due to their changeablity.

ArwenNightstar said:
3. Do you think it is important to have a variety of spreads for reading?

Not really but it does keep you from getting bored.

ArwenNightstar said:
4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?

No, not really. Whatever seems to fit at the time.

ArwenNightstar said:
5. What is the most useful spread you have?

The Whole Person spread, I added it a while ago to the forums. Surprising how it works.

ArwenNightstar said:
6. What defines a useful spread for you?

Something that answers a question with some detail but without overkilling it with tiny details. IE: Tell me that I'm being a miser because I'm being selfish works for me...Telling me I'm a miser because I'm selfish because of what happened when I was a two is a bit much and not important now. Unless of course it is going to tell me how to get past it.

ArwenNightstar said:
7. Where do you go to find new spreads?

Here on AT most of the time, books, and of course when I'm feeling adventerous I type in tarot spreads in the nearest search box....YIKES!

Mithyca

celtic cross, it's the best for start a reading, also the relationship cross, because that's the sibject almost everyone wants to know about....

celtic cross

yeah

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
no

it deppents

the ones that answer the question on a better way

books, and actually here!

ArwenNightstar

Thanks everyone! I actually NEVER wrote this article. OOPS! I am going to compile answers and submit it to Reflections for the April issue. :D

Allure

The spreads I use the most are The Path of Balance, & The Menstruation spread. The latter I do about once a month. The former I do whenever I want to check up on myself.

I know 2 spreads by heart. Ironically, The Path of Balance isn't one of them. I have to look it up each time.

Are spreads important? No. Fun, yes! I certainly don't need spreads to learn what I need to know but they're fun to play around with.

I have only read for family friends and they're pretty secretive about their concerns. I usually use a general spread like the Celtic Cross, which I otherwise wouldn't use.

My most useful spread is probably The Path of Balance or the daily spread I use to do (Blessings, Challenges & Advice). I don't recall where I got that spread. If it was from anyone here, Props! :grin:

Useful spreads are those that make the questionable clear. Or gives me something new to ponder.

I find most spreads repetitive. Almost all of the spreads that I've saved are ones I just happened upon. Today I decided to search the forums for the most unique spreads.

Anthonyt3

Anthonyt3's tarot spreads

Ok here goes:

Celtic Cross, without a doubt. Its the most flexible, and answers questions with a satisfying amount of depth.

I probably know upwards of 10. CC, an 18 card called the predictive manteia, the usual 1, 3 and 5 card spreads, 7 & 13 card chakra spreads...

I find that 2, maybe 3 spreads are enough to cover all situations. Occasionally I may use a "different" spread to gain a different angle on a situation.

Not really

Celtic Cross

Clearly defined card positions, and relationships between the card positions themselves

Usually the books that come with tarot card decks.

Morwenna

Celtic Cross.

About half a dozen, but the 4 I know best are CC, astrological houses, Tree of Life, and 3-card.

It depends; it is good to have at least a second one to fall back on if the situation seems to warrant it.

I almost never use for myself the ones I use for others. I practice new spreads on myself and never on others till I learn them well.

Probably the CC, since it's so versatile; most of the reading for others I do is at Ren-fairs and the like, where readings aren't usually done in great depth, but the CC is easy to adapt by overlaying more cards on trouble-spots.

One that is both versatile and easy to learn.

So far, books and friends.

ArwenNightstar

Thanks everyone! I so dropped the ball on this article. I sold my first fiction novel in October, second in November, and a novella in February. Since then I've been editing, promoing and trying to answer my editor's question of "What else do you have for me?" EEP!

I am going to work on this article this weekend and pitch it to a few places. I'll let you know where it ends up! Thanks so much to EVERYONE who has taken the time to respond. I really appreciate the input.

JONIKA

ArwenNightstar said:
Ok, in the hopes of generating another article for either the ATA Quarterly or the ATA Tarot Reflections, I have the following questions for y'all. This is for those that read with spreads. For those of you who don't read with spreads, I'll try to do another survey.

Celtic Cross (CC)

about 5, but I mostly use CC - it works for a variety of questions

yes

no

celtic cross, three card spread

here - aeclectic tarot :D

tarotlyn

The Celtic Cross Spread

Yes in order to correctly focus on the question.

Yes only for others: the "Horseshoe Spread" and the "Fanned Out 78 Card Spread"

The very revealing and successful "Fanned Out 78 Card Spread"
Followed by the three card "Past, Present, Future Spread"
Then "The Celtic Cross Spread"
These three are "all" running "neck and neck" for me.
I read all three spreads at one sitting - for all querents.

6. What defines a useful spread?
One that reveals the past, present, and future, and also reveals any
problems as well as the possible solutions that could help solve those problems.

In four places:
First, I make up my own to fit the question, secondly I find them on the
AT forum, thirdly I hunt in my "spread books," then, lastly, search other
places online.

:heart:
successgoodhealth (Lyn)