Tarot novels?

HighPriestess

I just ordered "Dark Oracle" by Alayna Williams, it's an urban fantasy where the main character uses tarot cards to profile criminals. I've just about had my fill of the "tough chick battles vampires and werewolves" sort of book that already clogs my bookshelves and seems to come a dime a dozen in bookstores, but this looked interesting.

Greg Stanton

On Starlight Express' recommendation, I read Andromeda Klein. What an outstanding novel in every way — smart and sophisticated, and funny as hell. The author, Frank Portman, knows his stuff. The creepy part is, I thought exactly like this girl when I was in HS!

Lunalyn

a few months ago in a secondhand bookshop I found this book called
Tarot Tales. its a book of short stories edited by Rachel Pollack and Caitlin Matthews. there are sixteen short stories by sixteen different authors.

in the intro Rachel Pollack says, 'We set only one guideline; Tarot cards had to be involved in the creation of the tale.'

there are some good stories. but because it was published in 1989 it may be difficult to get hold of except in secondhand bookshops.

lyn

rosariangoddess

the grift. its been awhile since i read it. really good book. i believe the author is deborah ginsberg. you can look it up on amazon. i found it a great read.

Lillie

Lunalyn said:
a few months ago in a secondhand bookshop I found this book called
Tarot Tales. its a book of short stories edited by Rachel Pollack and Caitlin Matthews. there are sixteen short stories by sixteen different authors.

in the intro Rachel Pollack says, 'We set only one guideline; Tarot cards had to be involved in the creation of the tale.'

there are some good stories. but because it was published in 1989 it may be difficult to get hold of except in secondhand bookshops.

lyn

I've got this. Some of the stories are quite good, but it's off to the charity shop next time I take some books in.

If it hasn't gone already.

Briar Rose

Ashtaroot said:
I know there is a thread her somewhere

of the top
The last Troubadour by Derek Armstrong

Sepulchre by Kate Moss

Have you read, "Sepulchre?" and how did you like it? Please let me know. I have it sitting in my bookcase, unread. But I do plan on keeping it, and reading it- soon.

Lunalyn

Lillie said:
I've got this. Some of the stories are quite good, but it's off to the charity shop next time I take some books in.

If it hasn't gone already.

Lillie I find it hard to get rid of my books once I have them.
good luck with your clean out.
lyn

CottonCandy

This is an interesting thread. I'm "bookmarking" it by adding it to my watched threads. I've had the beginnings of a fiction story that could become a novel floating around in my head for months now & since I have been learning tarot, I've thought of several places in the plot where I could use tarot readings. If I actually try to write it, the books in this thread may be useful references. :)

gregory

Briar Rose said:
Have you read, "Sepulchre?" and how did you like it? Please let me know. I have it sitting in my bookcase, unread. But I do plan on keeping it, and reading it- soon.
I have. I thought it was pretty dreadful, but I did finish it ! The thing was - I didn't care about any of the characters by about half way through. I just wanted to be sure the tarot deck made it through to the end !

I am waiting to get Andromeda Klein when it reaches an affordable price over here, or when I find it over there in a used bookstore ! As debra suggested it, I know it will be good !

Lillie

Lunalyn said:
Lillie I find it hard to get rid of my books once I have them.
good luck with your clean out.
lyn

When in doubt, build a bonfire...
Funny how well things burn after you pour a pint of paraffin over them.

But charity shops will take most books.