book recommendation for learning cards intuitively

Le Fanu

mmm... after all these positive recommendations of The Complete Tarot Reader, I - who so rarely get tempted by "how to" books - have just picked this up from an amazon seller.

It looks good. I read the first few pages...

Teheuti

Teresa's book is fabulous. As is Dan's CD, The Process. You might also want to look at _The Heart of Tarot: An Intuitive Approach_ by Amber K and Azrael Arynn K.

The point of all these (as well as most of my books—Tarot Reversals is an exception) is that you have to do the exercises to get anything out of the books. They try to answer the conundrum - how do you teach someone to read tarot intuitively from the text of a book? You don't. All you can do is provide tried-and-true processes that help a person experience and hone their own intuition—if the person really does them.

Works like James Ricklef's _Tarot Tells the Tale_ and Richard Roberts' _Tarot and You_ take a different approach. They show you what it "looks like" to read intuitively. If you learn by example—by mimicking someone else's example to get to your own—then they might work better for you.

Personally, I like a bit of both. I want to see what an intuitive approach looks like and I want exercises that will help me find those places in myself.

Ultimately, for me, the key lies in learning how to "listen" (and not just to words or sounds)—both within and without. The books on Visualization and Pathworking or _The Inner Guide Meditation_ by Edwin C. Steinbrecher can help with that.

daphne

Teheuti said:
Teresa's book is fabulous. As is Dan's CD, The Process. You might also want to look at _The Heart of Tarot: An Intuitive Approach_ by Amber K and Azrael Arynn K.

The point of all these (as well as most of my books—Tarot Reversals is an exception) is that you have to do the exercises to get anything out of the books. They try to answer the conundrum - how do you teach someone to read tarot intuitively from the text of a book? You don't. All you can do is provide tried-and-true processes that help a person experience and hone their own intuition—if the person really does them.

Works like James Ricklef's _Tarot Tells the Tale_ and Richard Roberts' _Tarot and You_ take a different approach. They show you what it "looks like" to read intuitively. If you learn by example—by mimicking someone else's example to get to your own—then they might work better for you.

Personally, I like a bit of both. I want to see what an intuitive approach looks like and I want exercises that will help me find those places in myself.

Ultimately, for me, the key lies in learning how to "listen" (and not just to words or sounds)—both within and without. The books on Visualization and Pathworking or _The Inner Guide Meditation_ by Edwin C. Steinbrecher can help with that.

Hm, helpful and interesting insight, I will check out the reviews of the ones you mentioned.

Thank you!

Lela

Love this book!

Sulis said:
I like 'The Complete Tarot Reader: Everything you need to know from start to finish' by Teresa Michelsen.
This book teaches you how to actually read the cards without any spoonfeeding in the form of card meanings.
In here you'll find elements, numerology, reversals, dignities, phrasing questions etc... Take what you want and ignore the rest.
What this book won't give you are lists of card meanings but it does show you how to get your own.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Ta...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266159778&sr=8-1

After reading this thread a few weeks back, I decided to get this book and have to say, it's become my favorite so far! I've had it for a few weeks now and it was exactly what I was looking for as far a learning the tarot intuitively. The author's style is easy to read and not full of new agey nonsense. Definitely a keeper.