Thoughts on Books by Barbara Moore?

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Some off-topic posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep all posts on the works of Barbara Moore.

tarot heart

DarkContraband said:
Shade, in the Shadowscapes tarot, I think Barbara only wrote the How to Read Tarot Cards esq section, where they describe the different methods and such. She also wrote the spreads. I think those scene descriptions were from the artist herself.

Yes, and the artist is also selling her own books on the deck on her website, just FYI. I do not believe the Shadowscapes was scripted, but I am sure we can find out. The companion book for Shadowscapes was average at best. I have the book, didn't realize it was written by Barbara Moore. I read it last night and see it more as an introductory book for beginner's than as an artist/deck collaboration.

Aerin

My understanding is that the card descriptions are Stephanie's not Barbara's, because the deck is Stephanie's. I really don't get why this is such a "big deal".

Personally I think that the parts authored by Barbara were very well written. Shadowscapes, as with any deck, may well be the first experience that anyone has of Tarot and IMO it takes some skill to write something that leads a beginner in gently while still being an interesting read to a more experienced user.

If you don't like it and/ or don't "need" it, then you don't have to read it. Or, for that matter, even buy it in the first place. I think I have learnt something from all of Barbara's books, but then I tend to read things with that objective in mind - even if what I learn is that I don't agree.

tarot heart

Aerin said:
If you don't like it and/ or don't "need" it, then you don't have to read it. Or, for that matter, even buy it in the first place. I think I have learnt something from all of Barbara's books, but then I tend to read things with that objective in mind - even if what I learn is that I don't agree.

Aerin, in defense I must make it clear that I never said I "don't like or don't need" it (the book). I was only commenting that it is more of a beginner type book. I believe the only way you can get the Shadowscapes is as a set with the book. Barbara does have a very easygoing style to her writing which makes her books the perfect choice for beginners in tarot. Since I had started this thread I found out I have a couple of tarot sets where the book is written by Barbara, the Mystic Faeries and the Gilded. :)

gregory

Yes indeed - and very good books they are too, aren't they. I already mentioned the Gilded - which works so seamlessly with the deck that I thought it was by Ciro ! And I LOVE the Mystic Faeries book. Neither one is a "beginner's" book, IMHO. I haven't got around to reading the Shadowscapes book; I'll look at it later.

ETA on consideration I'm not sure what constitutes a beginner's book anyway. With one notable appalling exception, I learn from every book I read. There isn't a single one with nothing new to offer - even the terribly bad one.

gregory

OK. I got out the Shadowscapes book, and I like it. OK, sure, it contains the basics - I think you have to do that when selling/putting together any mass market deck. A writer must always remember that whatever deck it is a buyer picks up in Waterstones or wherever may be their FIRST ! - but it is still fresh and interesting and has takes not in other books, and takes very specific to the deck. I don't know who wrote which bits and I don't care. It is a(nother) book that works. Now I shall have to read it all (because now I want to !) - not that I have time today, but it will stay on the desk till I do.

Phoenix Morgen

The only one of her books I've got is "The Dreamer's Journal" companion to the Mystic Dreamer tarot deck. It's short, but informative. I've spent more time being inspired by it than anything else. The section on keeping a tarot journal is great, and I wish there were more than 13 techniques/exercises for that purpose. I do also like how each card has individual questions to help with interpretation, but again, I wish there were more like that.